Interesting Take On Garvin

I disagree because I'm a natural born leader and am constantly praised for my leadership skills. But I don't go about by being abrasive.

I think there's a difference between being honest and direct and being abrasive. I think you can be the former without being the latter. But everyone's different.

Then you’re one of the rare ones.

Personally, I‘m not too much of an asshøle, but I’m a lot quicker to dispense with the formalities and pleasantries when it comes to performance. Or maybe I am an abrasive asshøle, I just stopped caring what people think about me early in my career. When you don’t care what people think about you, it’s a real burden off your shoulders and you can just focus on getting results

Advertisement
Like everyone, I had such high hopes for Garvin this past year. Anyone know why his effort was **** poor and scouts are calling him lazy? Kid seemed in shape, always seemed like a bright interview, never on social media, and apparently had a flip phone? There some disconnect I’m not seeing...

Like everyone, I had such high hopes for Garvin this past year. Anyone know why his effort was **** poor and scouts are calling him lazy? Kid seemed in shape, always seemed like a bright interview, never on social media, and apparently had a flip phone? There some disconnect I’m not seeing...
I asked the same question what happened between soph and junior year. Was it Manny becoming head coach? Baker as DC? Big T Bone as the 3rd d line coach in 3 years? All of the above? Was he drunk like I am now?

The only thing that makes sense to me is he doesn't like football

Temple. UVA. BC.

The list goes on. The talent we have isn’t Bama talent - but unless you think our rankings are buffed every year, and teams like Virginia or Temple are recruiting better than us, we aren’t doing a good job of developing our talent. No excuses.
again that’s not what I’m sayin. I agree. We have to recruit better (mainly along the LOS). My point is every year we pick out 3 or 4 to harp on and say they never developed. Last year it was JT4, Lingard and BT..3 of those quit for whatever reason..next year it will be 3 different cats I’m sure of that.

Thing is this tho, like I said we overrate our talent especially at the most important positions where games are one at , the LOS. y’all thought garbing and Jackson were too of the draft talents base on their first season lol. We have to recruit better on that front and develop better on that front no doubt. Our skill talent will always be good..now for the past 4-5 years we been clamoring that a spread offense will fix the issues up front, we’ll see how right about that ppl were...now to your point of temple/uva and other developing guys better..

if your basing this on the draft results for past couple years, that’s simply not true , Temple had what 5 kids this year which great And extraordinary for them the last 3 years they’ve had 2 each in each of the last 3 drafts..UVA had like 3 this draft (their star Bryce wasn’t) and 2 in 19 then 2 in 18 and none in 17🤷🏾‍♂️.. kids..this year we had 5 I believe..9 in 17, 6 in 18 and 5 in 19

now here’s something that’s crazy OU who has had much more successes on the field then us, this year they had 3 kids drafted, 19 they had 8, 18 they had 4 17 they had 4..reason I point out OU is because they recruit very similar, slightly better, but similar to us in the rankings but nobody would say with a straight face OU not developing their guys because of on field success..yet their draft results are eerily similar to us..key differences are their development on the LOS and the QB talent and play they get. Those are the two most important positions and they are alway fine there. We fix those things and see on field team success I promise you won’t here the yearly 3 to for guys ppl have full season debates about getting a raw deal, not being developed, and in the dog house.

Advertisement
As bad as Manny was last year, I would have respected him a little more if he benched those ***** who were lazy, made bonehead decisions like unsportsmanlike conduct penalties, and suspended/kicked off the slapdicks who did whatever the **** they wanted.

You can say that recruiting sites like Rivals, ESPN, and 247 aren't perfect in their evals. But constantly, we outrecruit schools in our own division. But, those schools are doing more with less and their results are showing. It's a culture thing long with a lack of development.
I agree with that. Especially at key positions. You know what difference is tho, if their 3, or 4 stars aren’t ready for the draft by their junior years, they don’t declare. Every year we have head scratchers positions

A great leader would bench Ivey even if he doesn't have a top JUCO or grad transfer behind him. Cultivate the guys you do have and apply the pressure. If Ivey doesn't respond, sit his ***. Booch did it with our entire WR group one year and replaced them with a bunch of true freshmans.
lol thing is tho..y’all would kill a coach who did that And y’all saw the replacement go through the same struggles. You know that, I know that. If manny would’ve replaced Garvin this year with patchan Y’all would’ve killed him for it. When BT saw his PT cut y’all killed them for that..when JT4 has his return duties cut, y’all killed the staff for that..as for Garvin bottom line was this, I never saw what ppl here saw in his soph campaign. Ppl here thought he was a top of the draft talent. I never saw the motor even then. Idk if it was laziness, or not being coachable..motor is something that really isn’t taught and something a coach harps on all the time but it’s up to the player ultimately

Advertisement
This site is funny. If manny would of benched garvin and played a lesser player, their would be even more air plane banner talk even though we don't have the inside info.
Not if that player gave some effort. No one with eyes would say Garvin was giving his all last year. Quite the opposite.

That's part of it. But the other part is better diligence in recruiting. Dont bring in players that have a reputation for laziness. Saban, Swinney, and Urban Meyer might run tight ships, but they also don't tend to bring in players that lack fire. I don't think they could give two ****s about high character guys. Meyers teams were filled with criminals, but they tended to be hyper competitive. They once had a Tight End that would literally shoot you in the face with a gun if he felt disrespected.

There is some overlap between a "hard worker" and a hyper competitive person but they arent always the same thing. A gym rat is good, but does the idea of losing sicken him? If the team is losing, do you see smiles on the sidelines? I dont doubt that Richt and Diaz generally looked for "hard workers" and high character kids. But not all of those players are innately hypercompetitive to the point that they don't really need a coach "motivating" them.

I I agree with that. But that’s all on the coach. Who, what, when, where, how and why? That’s why they make millions.

lol thing is tho..y’all would kill a coach who did that And y’all saw the replacement go through the same struggles. You know that, I know that. If manny would’ve replaced Garvin this year with patchan Y’all would’ve killed him for it. When BT saw his PT cut y’all killed them for that..when JT4 has his return duties cut, y’all killed the staff for that..as for Garvin bottom line was this, I never saw what ppl here saw in his soph campaign. Ppl here thought he was a top of the draft talent. I never saw the motor even then. Idk if it was laziness, or not being coachable..motor is something that really isn’t taught and something a coach harps on all the time but it’s up to the player ultimately

Was Patchan our only option?

And I’m not exactly sure what your argument is. Diaz’s job is to win football games. His job is to build an elite program, develop football players, and win big-time games. Fans will always have something to say. But people will learn to respect his decisions based on the results.

Garvin clearly took games off. People could see that. The GR vs Patchan example doesn’t match here. GR went hard and made plays.

Was Patchan our only option?

And I’m not exactly sure what your argument is. Diaz’s job is to win football games. His job is to build an elite program, develop football players, and win big-time games. Fans will always have something to say. But people will learn to respect his decisions based on the results.

Garvin clearly took games off. People could see that. The GR vs Patchan example doesn’t match here. GR went hard and made plays.
Either patchan or hill. Either way gArvin had to see plenty snaps..I understand what your sayin tho. All I’m sayin is if manny did bench a guy for lack of effort y’all would still ***** and moan..case in point Jeff, Hightower and lingard
zo was a kid dreaming about uf in sept but u still had fans capping for him to play. Jeff lost his return responsibility, was replaced for better production and u still had fans *****in..BT had a key drop on 3rd down saw his snaps go down and ppl was still cappin for him..we could have the same draft results for the next 3 years but if we are winning 10 games a season nobody will say **** about...we both agree it’s results based business that’s my point

Advertisement
Either patchan or hill. Either way gArvin had to see plenty snaps..I understand what your sayin tho. All I’m sayin is if manny did bench a guy for lack of effort y’all would still ***** and moan..case in point Jeff, Hightower and lingard

**** yeah, they would be furious.

As fans we have to understand that we don't know what goes on behind closed doors or at practice.

Butch Davis was the last coach we had that would not put up with any of that crap.

And the last coach who knew what in **** he was shooting for.

That goes to my point that hardass coaches are overrated. Erickson- big softie 2 championships. Ol Clappie- 1 national title, robbed of 2nd. If being a hardass coach mattered, then the team would have taken a step back when replaced by a nice guy. Subtract a hardass coach and the players still policed themselves. Butch valued hyper competitive players. Every practice was a competition to be the starter. So he recruited guys that fit that mold. Didn't matter if a 2 star or 5 star. The players he recruited generally didnt need external motivation to play hard. I actually like the recruiting under Diaz. I think he is finally getting the players with the right mentality. Unfortunately for him, his 1st season was a disaster. He might not be around to see his recruiting bear fruit in 2-3 years.

Advertisement
**** yeah, they would be furious.

As fans we have to understand that we don't know what goes on behind closed doors or at practice.
Exactly. That’s my point on the whole thing. It’s rinse and repeat..BUT if we were winning 10 games a year nobody would say ****. It’s a result based business

Found this on the Athletic from the Packer's draft review:

Jonathan Garvin:

He declared a year early. According to one scout, multiple contacts in the football program told him they were glad Garvin was leaving. The scout said Garvin’s effort level was downright embarrassing at times.

“He can be difficult to coach,” another scout said. “He does things his way. Does what he wants when things don’t go his way. … Only had five sacks.”

Other scouts said a seventh-round choice for Garvin was appropriate because of his size (6-4, 263), arm length (34) and 40 (4.81).

“He’s a left end (in a 4-3),” one said. “He’s not a great speed rusher. But when you get down there and you’ve got a guy this big and his vert (vertical jump of 36) and broad jump (10-4) numbers were really good, take a shot. There’s some upside to that pick. At that point, it just becomes, ‘Swing the bat.’ ”
He dogged it on the field last year.. It was flat out disgusting.. I thought he was bull****ting watched a few of the games over the past week. No business playing. Coaches should have sat his *** like oh you dogging it. No PT for you

Last edited:
Yet Mr. Softee won more national championships than those other guys. You are buying into the ridiculous myth of the drill instructor coach turning boys into men. You really think Urban Meyer was Gunnery Sergeant Hartman reborn?
If you listen to the Zach Smith podcast (Menace2Society), yes. Meyer is a ******* behind the scenes.

Advertisement
Back