Interesting Take On Garvin

That's part of it. But the other part is better diligence in recruiting. Dont bring in players that have a reputation for laziness. Saban, Swinney, and Urban Meyer might run tight ships, but they also don't tend to bring in players that lack fire. I don't think they could give two ****s about high character guys. Meyers teams were filled with criminals, but they tended to be hyper competitive. They once had a Tight End that would literally shoot you in the face with a gun if he felt disrespected.

There is some overlap between a "hard worker" and a hyper competitive person but they arent always the same thing. A gym rat is good, but does the idea of losing sicken him? If the team is losing, do you see smiles on the sidelines? I dont doubt that Richt and Diaz generally looked for "hard workers" and high character kids. But not all of those players are innately hypercompetitive to the point that they don't really need a coach "motivating" them.
I agree 100%. However, a big problem in our recruiting in recent years is we have had small boards, foolishly put all of our eggs in a couple of baskets, and when those guys have gone elsewhere, then in the last month to two we suddenly are recruiting all of these new guys. The problem with that is you can look at film but are not really getting to know these guys, their personalities, work ethic, culture, etc. Granted, Garvin was not part of that, but it is a big problem with the current recruiting process. When one team can get to know a guy for multiple years and see how they will fit, and you are trying to squeeze that in over a month, you are already at a disadvantage. The fact that we are in our recruiting hotbed and allow that to happen annually is 100% inexcusable and an indictment of this staff and Richt's.

Last edited:
Advertisement
This site is funny. If manny would of benched garvin and played a lesser player, their would be even more air plane banner talk even though we don't have the inside info.
Not to mention the chef's kiss revisionist history that we never should have let Jeff Thomas back in or taken Tate.

He was a Day 2 guy based on talent. The effort was the issue. Joe Jackson was surly but played hard.
We all saw it last year, Garvin looked like he gave 0 shyts and that was playing opposite a guy like Rousseau who was attracting a lot of scheming and attention.

Advertisement
Coaches with less talent have sat players down with more talent than Garvin. Fact. If he’s getting his *** put on the bench for going half speed, that will either motivate him to play the game the way it should be, or notify the world that it won’t be tolerated AND this guy is a pussyfoot.

Now try declaring for the draft after being benched for going half speed. Declare for the draft after you get zero snaps for going half speed. Let’s see how that works out.

There are no excuses. The head coach has to set the standard.
My comment was about why its easier to motivate at Alabama and Clemson. Everyone is more motivated if they believe a lack of effort means being passed up. Just the nature of competition, and not just in athletics.

It's a lot about the coaches too because the great coaches breed that fire BEFORE they get their rosters stacked like they are now. Meyer, Sabag, and ***** all started with clubs that were nowhere near as loaded as they are now, but they still produced that fire through their own leadership.
Agreed. Even at UM, Schnelly and Butch had to motivate without great depth and competition. They were either great motivators, able to discern who was self-motivated while recruiting, or both

You could see he wasn't about that life this year as soon a the kid from Virginia came on. He was acting like a baby not pushing full speed and not even trying to get to the qb. I had love for him when he first came on, but how you just going to quit on the team just bc its not going right.

You can claim hindsight. But coaches would never get fired if they could just say, "Yeah, but hindsight is 20/20." By the way, it wasn't hindsight with me. I called Garvin out several times for lack of effort.

Both sides make good points, yes you can't have a guy only giving 50% effort, but if his 50% effort is better than what is behind him what do you do as a coach?

UM is notorious for giving coaches short leashes, could you imagine losing a game where our D got torched and Garvin was never on the field? Fans would revolt because he (garvin) showed flashes of being a great player. Just like JT4 and others fans become obsessed with. Yet people were begging for Knowles to get benched because they felt he was sorry and the players behind him were better, no way to know if Hall or Carter were coasting or giving half *** effort, then the backlash comes back on the kid for trying to make plays and being put in a situation by his coach to what? prove a point?Where you can blame the coaches (to an extent) is not finding other ways to motivate garvin. When he was playing behind Chad Thomas as a true frosh and had to beat out that high rated kid who went to oregon he was making first round LT look silly.

An extreme example I can think of is when Belichick benched Malcolm Butler in the SB. Dude was on the field for something absurd like 97.3% of defensive snaps in the regular and post season, yet he doesn't play a single defensive snap and the D got torched by Foles for 400 yds. Belichick got a lot of heat for that call and perhaps cost himself another SB but he didn't budge, his leash and pedigree also gives him the type of clout where he can make that call and really nothing happened from it.

Advertisement
Is this a case of a good year and the resulting hype going to his head? Or was he always lazy in his effort and just happened to have a few good games that season?

I still don't know what happened there.

I have a lot of family and friends in the NE area that are die hard fans. The rumor was team rules violation, stayed out passed curfew and overslept/was late to a meeting. Reminded me a bit of that RB for them (Gray maybe?) the guy who burst on the scene with 200 yds rushing and 4tds in a single game then was benched/inactive the rest of the season. He came out and said he was watching film, his phone died, and he overslept, missed a meeting. Never got out of the doghouse after that.

*recruiting
*leadership
*development

We've developed a culture of complacency. Garvin is lazy and uncoachable. Our starting RB and LB have little beer guts. Our most "talented" WR is a ****head who looks like he hasn't stepped into a weight room in years.

Nobody comes here and GETS BETTER.

Amen. And while all of this is going on our HC is busy designing the next gimmicky piece of shiny jewelry to distract us.

If you purchase season tickets you're part of the problem.

Advertisement
He was a Day 2 guy based on talent. The effort was the issue. Joe Jackson was surly but played hard.

And yet Stroud skates for starting him all season, having Rousseau split snaps with Patchan, and allowing Nnoruka to play ahead of Miller.

Man i am not buying this. Garvin played fine this year. Its DJ Ivey and Bethel that yall need to call out. Most of yall are just butt hurt he left.

Advertisement
Wish they’d go ahead and play somehow so we can get rid of Diaz. I just don’t think he is HC material. Another career coordinator hire for this cheap *** U.

Advertisement
Back