Interesting Take On Garvin

I agree 100%. However, a big problem in our recruiting in recent years is we have had small boards, foolishly put all of our eggs in a couple of baskets, and when those guys have gone elsewhere, then in the last month to two we suddenly are recruiting all of these new guys. The problem with that is you can look at film but are not really getting to know these guys, their personalities, work ethic, culture, etc. Granted, Garvin was not part of that, but it is a big problem with the current recruiting process. When one team can get to know a guy for multiple years and see how they will fit, and you are trying to squeeze that in over a month, you are already at a disadvantage. The fact that we are in our recruiting hotbed and allow that to happen annually is 100% inexcusable and an indictment of this staff and Richt's.

Wish I can like this post 1000x.

Advertisement
If you think that, you’re not paying attention. UVA has yet to beat us in recruitment on a yearly basis - yet they’re producing top 3/4 round draftees. BC w/ LBs. Ect. Peep the drafts. You’re talking about ONE potential Top 10 pic in year 5 for Manny.

While others in our conference are doing more with less every year with developing players. Pay attention. Peep TEMPLE this past draft.

If you can truly tell yourself that you think MIAMI is doing a good or great job of developing talent after watching the last three drafts then there’s nothing else for you and I to talk about. You are just burying your head in the sand.
tough for the defensive linemen to develop when there is constant turnover with the position coach.

tough for the defensive linemen to develop when there is constant turnover with the position coach.

One coach went to Alabama. The other went to the NFL. Promotions - meaning they were doing something right. But, they definitely won’t develop by going half ***.

I wonder if he played for Saban or Swinney would they say the same thing? I doubt it.
He probably would have been benched and never seen the field. Why didn't Mnny just bench him to send a message? I put all of this on Manny. He's soft IMO. He added to the problem by allowing it to continue. The HC sets the culture he wants. He doesn't just complain about it.

**** yeah, they would be furious.

As fans we have to understand that we don't know what goes on behind closed doors or at practice.

I think everyone is bored with quarantine if they ACTUALLY think they’d have been cool with Garvin not getting snaps as we lost to Duke. Like, we’d have seen some backup scuffling but “giving effort” and we WOULDN'T have been on this board typing our little fingers out about Manny not playing his best guys, being in over his head, etc? FOH

Advertisement
what motivates players is the bench: Alabama has a top three class every year: **** there are even players willing to grey shirt :
I like to see what the **** Saban would do with probation, sanctions, and our collection of players. Garvin was non existent, Brandy first game against Florida was incredible, I thought he was long gone to the NFL: Then the N.C. game, looked like he had his feet in concrete, rest of the year up and down, I am not a scout but good grief I never thought he would bolt. You would think that when these players get their NFL grades they be ****ed, and come back for their 4th years with a vengence, instead they just go on to the draft, and the **** with it.

I think everyone is bored with quarantine if they ACTUALLY think they’d have been cool with Garvin not getting snaps as we lost to Duke. Like, we’d have seen some backup scuffling but “giving effort” and we WOULDN'T have been on this board typing our little fingers out about Manny not playing his best guys, being in over his head, etc? FOH
Fans getting mad shouldn't dictate what the HC does in the best interest of the program. Fans were mad at the Duke game because we stunk like rotten garbage in that game. Benching Fred Garvin in that game wouldn't have even been noticed and likely wouldn't have had any noticeable affect in that micro moment anyway. By that time that deep into the season, the issue had gotten away from Manure.

Fans getting mad shouldn't dictate what the HC does in the best interest of the program. Fans were mad at the Duke game because we stunk like rotten garbage in that game. Benching Fred Garvin in that game wouldn't have even been noticed and likely wouldn't have had any noticeable affect in that micro moment anyway. By that time that deep into the season, the issue had gotten away from Manure.

I agree, if Manny and the staff actually felt this way they should have done what they needed to do during the season, rather than gossiping like middle schoolers after the fact to try and save face.

But my point is that 99% of the people on here saying they would have benched Garvin are full of **** (although I know you were saying it all along Chise).

Personally, I know I would have been ****ed, and my line of attack would have been "we know this is one of our most talented dudes and we have seen him perform before, so this amateur hour coaching staff should be getting the most out of him." But, and I can't emphasize this enough, I don't know ****. I thought N'Kosi was going to be Deshaun Watson.

As it always does.

If your HC isn't a great leader of men, then he's useless. All this scheme **** as it relates to a HC is goofball talk. You don't have to be Bill Belichick as a scheme guy to be a great HC. You just have be a great leader and hire great coordinators. Two of the absolute best in the modern era, Meyer and Swinney, weren't even coordinators; they're just phenomenal leaders/organizers.

Most of these guys all know the same stuff. There's no magic pixie dust anymore.

After D’no and Enos, a competent coordinator looks magical as ****.

Advertisement
My cousin played for him a short while at UF. I know. My cousin is as hardheaded as they come! He wouldn’t fall in line and urban Meyer wasn’t playing any games. The stories are hilarious to me. Because I know my cousin deserved everything he got.

Urban sets the standards, and then he manages his personnel accordingly.

Come on, Machete.

You gotta give us some details on how Fred Sanford whips his big dummies into shape.

I agree, if Manny and the staff actually felt this way they should have done what they needed to do during the season, rather than gossiping like middle schoolers after the fact to try and save face.

But my point is that 99% of the people on here saying they would have benched Garvin are full of **** (although I know you were saying it all along Chise).

Personally, I know I would have been ****ed, and my line of attack would have been "we know this is one of our most talented dudes and we have seen him perform before, so this amateur hour coaching staff should be getting the most out of him." But, and I can't emphasize this enough, I don't know ****. I thought N'Kosi was going to be Deshaun Watson.
I'm a firm believer that talent without tremendous effort at this level is useless. And Fred Garvin was pretty fcking useless last year. So, yeah, I would have sat him down, or, as a great leader of men, I would have had him breathing fire and not needed to bench him.

I'm a firm believer that talent without tremendous effort at this level is useless. And Fred Garvin was pretty fcking useless last year. So, yeah, I would have sat him down, or, as a great leader of men, I would have had him breathing fire and not needed to bench him.
If a player doesn't get the picture the first time you tell'em, the only thing you can do to get his attention is sit his *** on the bench.

Great coaches & great leaders, don't let subordinates get over on them more than once, you get one time to not respond to what's been asked of you, if you don't take heed to what they require, the next step is discipline, it's really that simple.

In Football, your players have to respect your commands, otherwise they'll be out there doing what they want freelancing which hurts the rest of the players on the field because disorganization in an assignment based task like any given play is from down to down leads to mishaps & mistakes that costs your team points.

If you've told a guy about his effort or that he needs to do something better, you shouldn't have to tell'em more than once. That's what made Ray Lewis such a great player in college & in the pro's, despite what people might think about his preachiness off the field, he was a super coachable player that followed instructions on the field, he took coaching extremely well & it excelled him to being one of the greatest to ever.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back