Interesting Take On Garvin

Found this on the Athletic from the Packer's draft review:

Jonathan Garvin:

He declared a year early. According to one scout, multiple contacts in the football program told him they were glad Garvin was leaving. The scout said Garvin’s effort level was downright embarrassing at times.

“He can be difficult to coach,” another scout said. “He does things his way. Does what he wants when things don’t go his way. … Only had five sacks.”

Other scouts said a seventh-round choice for Garvin was appropriate because of his size (6-4, 263), arm length (34) and 40 (4.81).

“He’s a left end (in a 4-3),” one said. “He’s not a great speed rusher. But when you get down there and you’ve got a guy this big and his vert (vertical jump of 36) and broad jump (10-4) numbers were really good, take a shot. There’s some upside to that pick. At that point, it just becomes, ‘Swing the bat.’ ”

All that and he will still be better than Zucchini from UF.

Take that sht to the bank.

Advertisement
Yep or get so wrapped up in analytics that they lose trust in their own eyes to watch on-field play.
Or their eyes suck because they're just measurables nerds. Football is such a violent, competitive game that effort level is a top 3 variable.

Advertisement
People play harder when they are afraid of being benched or passed over. Garvin did not have that fear because UM lacks the quality depth to scare kids with competition.
If you don't bust your *** every play in practice and games and Alabama, you get passed over. Same at Clemson because the talent is stacked so deep. It's less about the coaches and culture and more about how good the guy behind you is, and how hungry he is to take your spot.
You better believe Portis worked hard knowing Gore and McGahee were right behind him. Ed Reed knew Taylor was coming up. Moss knew about Andre Johnson, and so on. Today very few have that fear and therefore the hunger. And by the time they realize they didn't push themselves hard enough, their careers have passed by, or they end up as 7th round picks or free agents.

Advertisement
I thought Garvin was an underated talent.

1588109105341.png

I was Scolded for saying garvin played lazy during the season last year 🤷🏾‍♂️, I guess More people thought that as well

I been saying he was overrated his entire cfb career back when ppl were trying to hype him as better than Joe Jackson.

I’m saying it’s 2-3 guys y’all harp on for evert year for the last 4 regime’s..even tho we are about have a top Ten 10 pic ppl will identify and will harp on 2-3 knuckle heads who didn’t get a shot at developing..2019 version of this is Jeff Thomas, Brian Hightower and Lorenzo Lingard..next year y’all will pick another new 3 lol

If you think that, you’re not paying attention. UVA has yet to beat us in recruitment on a yearly basis - yet they’re producing top 3/4 round draftees. BC w/ LBs. Ect. Peep the drafts. You’re talking about ONE potential Top 10 pic in year 5 for Manny.

While others in our conference are doing more with less every year with developing players. Pay attention. Peep TEMPLE this past draft.

If you can truly tell yourself that you think MIAMI is doing a good or great job of developing talent after watching the last three drafts then there’s nothing else for you and I to talk about. You are just burying your head in the sand.

Miami boys who go to Alabama or Clemson get their asses in line. Because the HC has developed a culture which demands it.

My cousin told me Urban meyer has two groups of ppl. Guys who do it the right way and guys who don’t. If you dont do it the right way he will make your life miserable. He will even change the food you get to eat.

Advertisement
If you think that, you’re not paying attention. UVA has yet to beat us in recruitment on a yearly basis - yet they’re producing top 3/4 round draftees. BC w/ LBs. Ect. Peep the drafts. You’re talking about ONE potential Top 10 pic in year 5 for Manny.

While others in our conference are doing more with less every year with developing players. Pay attention. Peep TEMPLE this past draft.

If you can truly tell yourself that you think MIAMI is doing a good or great job of developing talent after watching the last three drafts then there’s nothing else for you and I to talk about. You are just burying your head in the sand.

We never do more with less. We have been the opposite for long time. We actually do less with more.

My cousin told me Urban meyer has two groups of ppl. Guys who do it the right way and guys who don’t. If you dont do it the right way he will make your life miserable. He will even change the food you get to eat.

My cousin played for him a short while at UF. I know. My cousin is as hardheaded as they come! He wouldn’t fall in line and urban Meyer wasn’t playing any games. The stories are hilarious to me. Because I know my cousin deserved everything he got.

Urban sets the standards, and then he manages his personnel accordingly.

Advertisement

Your not at all understanding what I was originally saying lol..but okay..I’ll say this tho Manny has had a player drafted at every position group of his defense and a player drafted in each of his years here..I think our fans just overrate are talent year in and year..ppl here swore Joe jack, and garvin were top of the draft talents..I just sit back and shake my head at times

Last edited:
1. I don't see how his size is an issue
2. I don't understand what Garvin was doing, if it's a possible money year for why not put in the work. Maybe he doesn't like football, maybe that's why he chose us over Clemson because Clemson saw what was really and turned him down and Garvin saw us as place where he can go and chill.
3. We aren't gonna be **** until we get this culture turned around

Advertisement
Back