Interesting Take On Garvin

Advertisement
Jobe played a solid amount last year and will probably start for Bama this year.

He stinks. Jalyn Armour-Davis will have his *** on the bench. He might get some run on the outside when they slide Surtain down into the slot, but he had an inside track to a starting spot last year and couldn't hold it. Bama won't have much patience with him.

No, they're just usually a lot better players than Jon Garvin.

Has Josh Jobe "got his *** in line" ? He can't get on the field. It's not because his *** is or isn't in line, it's because he's not an elite football player. If Jon Garvin somehow wound up at Alabama or Clemson, he'd be their 8th best edge player and have splinters in his *** from the bench, whether he gave max effort or not. At Miami, half-assed Jon Garvin is still too good to have fetch your water. He's gotta play.

It's just incredible what recruiting better football players will do for your football team.
This☝

Advertisement
*recruiting
*leadership
*development

We've developed a culture of complacency. Garvin is lazy and uncoachable. Our starting RB and LB have little beer guts. Our most "talented" WR is a ****head who looks like he hasn't stepped into a weight room in years.

Nobody comes here and GETS BETTER.
I've been saying that for years are kids start off better than they end the first year and it is downhill thereafter. I first noticed it with Randy's No 1 class. Something it wrong. Oh, the occasional completely self driven guy like Perryman some along and can't be stopped by idiot coaches. "Coaching them up" has been a death sentence.

* find betas
* shave pubics
* perform vasectomy

Advertisement
I wonder if he played for Saban or Swinney would they say the same thing? I doubt it.

I posted an article a long time ago where Saban talks about what he looks for in recruits. He could land all the 4 and 5 stars he wants, but how does he rack and stack them? He said the #1 thing he looks for is competitiveness. He only wants players who are innately competitive. He doesnt have to motivate the players as the prospect of losing is motivation in itself (Urban Meyer said something to that effect as well). So its not just that Saban sets the tone (no doubt he does) but he doesn't bring in players that are lazy to begin with.

Let's take Malik Rosier as an example. Now you can say a lot of things about him, but you cant say he didnt want to win when he played. HOWEVER- he wasn't so diehard competitive that he was preparing to be the starter when he was the backup. He openly acknowledged that he didn't take the job seriously until he got named as QB
Imagine if he'd been naturally Michael Jordan-level competitive- practicing every day as if he was going to beat out Kaaya. Even if he didn't manage to win the job, he'd prepared himself. Dont you think it would have made a difference in 2017? If he'd been preparing for two years, maybe he finds a way to win the Pitt game. We're rolling into Charlotte #1 in the country. A good performance, even if a close loss, and Miami is in the playoffs. Even if outside the playoffs, a prepared Rosier beats Wisconsin. And Miami finishes the season 12-1, ranked #6. Talk about a different trajectory for the program...

See that's the difference. Jalen Hurts was THE starter. There was no QB controversy at Bama. But Tua prepared like he was going to be the starter even though he might sit for another year. And when Hurts scuffles in the championship game, Tua took the job and never looked back.

Last edited:
I wonder if he played for Saban or Swinney would they say the same thing? I doubt it.

He would be just another guy there.
Sabam would cycle him out if he didn't get with the program. When you have talented competion they tend to fall in line.

Right and it’s been the samr argument For what it’s been the same for 4 staffs? Lol..there definitely guys what have come here, developed physically and gotten better..you can’t just highlight 2 or 3 guys..we do this all the time lol

2 or 3? Stop it.

Advertisement
No, they're just usually a lot better players than Jon Garvin.

Has Josh Jobe "got his *** in line" ? He can't get on the field. It's not because his *** is or isn't in line, it's because he's not an elite football player. If Jon Garvin somehow wound up at Alabama or Clemson, he'd be their 8th best edge player and have splinters in his *** from the bench, whether he gave max effort or not. At Miami, half-assed Jon Garvin is still too good to have fetch your water. He's gotta play.

It's just incredible what recruiting better football players will do for your football team.
Jon Garvin giving max effort is better than Jon Garvin going through the motions, which is what he did last year. If your HC isn't a leader this is the problem that just keeps reoccurring. You don't have to be an abrasive **** head to be a leader, but you have to do something that inspires the best effort from your charges.

2 or 3? Stop it.
I’m saying it’s 2-3 guys y’all harp on for evert year for the last 4 regime’s..even tho we are about have a top Ten 10 pic ppl will identify and will harp on 2-3 knuckle heads who didn’t get a shot at developing..2019 version of this is Jeff Thomas, Brian Hightower and Lorenzo Lingard..next year y’all will pick another new 3 lol

Advertisement
Jon Garvin only shined as the #2 or #3 guy on this team I was never that impressed with his play on the field. Every year his stats are average Joe Jackson was 5x better than him playing with one good arm his last year.

Starts with the HC.
As it always does.

If your HC isn't a great leader of men, then he's useless. All this scheme **** as it relates to a HC is goofball talk. You don't have to be Bill Belichick as a scheme guy to be a great HC. You just have be a great leader and hire great coordinators. Two of the absolute best in the modern era, Meyer and Swinney, weren't even coordinators; they're just phenomenal leaders/organizers.

Most of these guys all know the same stuff. There's no magic pixie dust anymore.

Advertisement
Back