Interesting stat on Miami/Mario

Mario has his flaws as a Gameday coach but he is a monster recruiter and will bring the toughness and physicality that this program is lacking. Also he has been know you put together a good staff at FIU and Oregon. With the right funds he could put together a monster staff here.

Advertisement
Billionaires, no, but I think people underestimate the number of individuals quietly living their lives with $100m+ in the bank. I’ve heard first hand how politics and football get done in Louisiana…I imagine it’s very similar across the Deep South…lots of guys we’ve never heard of writing big fat checks for their biggest passion
Is that the same pedo ring Tom Hanks is the leader of

Here's a breakdown with some context of Mario's last two seasons:

2020:

Dominant 35-14 win over 4-2 Stanford
Up 2 in the 4th quarter against 1-3 Washington St. Outscored them late for a 43-29 win.
3 point win 38-35 over 3-4 UCLA
Outscored 22-7 in the 4th in a 41-38 loss to an Oregon St team thats 3-8 over the last two seasons.
Shutout in 2nd half in a 21-17 loss to a Cal team that has 1 other win over the last two seasons.
Solid 31-24 win over a talented albeit dysfunctional 5-1 USC team.
Shutout in 2nd half in lopsided 31-17 loss to a Top 10 Iowa State team.

Tied with Fresno State in the fourth. Score TD late in a 31-24 win.
Gigantic win at Top 3 ranked Ohio State 35-28.
Blowout win over outclassed Stony Brook 41-7.
Only up 5 starting the fourth against winless Arizona. Outscored them 17-0 in the 4th to run away with it 41-19.
OT loss to 3-4 Stanford 31-24.
Goal line stand on 4th down on final play of game to escape with a 24-17 win over 1-5 Cal at home.

All I read from this is he coached his team to go 9-4 over the last 13 games.

Beat a top 10 team on the road. A team that never loses at home.

Won a conference championship game against a very talented USC squad.

How many times has UM won 9 games in the last 15 seasons?

I don’t care if you don’t beat the spread. Win the fcuking game. That’s all that matters. He’s doing a pretty good job with that at Oregon

i don't think we have any boosters who are billionaires. none.

I don’t know, other than Phillip Frost, no billionaires jump out at me from the people that I know are on the BOT.

Maybe a couple that are over $1B

That doesn’t really matter if you look at a place like Alabama, they have lots of people that are worth maybe like Marcus Lemonis in the hundreds of million dollar range. But instead of us having one or two Marcus Lemonises, they have dozens and dozens, hundreds, that you’ve never heard of and aren’t famous, that are totally into the program.

And do their work in silence.

Also, there’s this obsession on this board with Alonzo, we just need the best qualified candidate that we can get, to turn the ship around.

I’m not so sure that it’s Alonzo. Maybe it is him, but where is his track record of success in athletic departments? There is none. So it would be a little bit of a reach and I don’t think there’s any question about that.

It’s close to same mentality that says, “hey, we should hire Ray Lewis as a linebackers coach or as a defensive coordinator“
Respected take on Alonzo.

Though admittedly, there’s been some former pros, and former greats for schools returning to their alma maters and being decent position coaches.

Not saying we should take the approach though.

Brian Hartline is one off top

Advertisement
Some of yous guys fail to realize that just because something happens at Oregon doesn't mean it'll happen at Miami. Miami has a different conference, different opponents and a different level of talent than Oregon does. (or access to talent I should say)

A Miami team, assembled the way Cristobal would assemble it, is not losing to teams like Virginia, North Carolina and NC State.
I'm sure you can find some head scratchers during Saban's tenure at Michigan State. We all know what happened after that.

The same way your coaching trajectory changes when you get access to more resources and money, it also changes when you have access to more talent. I can almost guarantee that we would finally get back our speed and "dog" advantage with Mario as our head coach.

With Watson to phins and our upcoming new head coach Miami is once again a city that wants to win again bring excitement football back to da crib.. get it done phins and why do we always draft players that had a major injury in college smh..

For the record I would classify a Mario hire as significantly better than what we have now and that’s not even in question.

I certainly would not cry and scream, and I would be supportive.

Also understanding that he has some flaws that had been discussed in some depth on this site.

But I honestly think people don’t realize what a hard pull he would be.

If you take just a step back and look at the situation objectively, from a career standpoint, it would be a huge risk for him to take this job based on this position’s track record for the last 20 years.

He’s going from a situation of a lot more money to a lot less money, a lot more financial support to meager financial support.

Going from a program where boosters and money people were more than willing to shower the program with whatever funds they needed, to somewhere where actual coaches have had to pony up $1 million to finish an IPF. Where the athletic department literally bags for pennies.

Is it possible to get a better salary for him in Miami than it is for Oregon? Yes I’m certain that could happen. Is it possible to get the overall financial support for the program that Oregon can provide or many other SEC schools. No. That is a literal impossibility.

So does he want to go to a program where financial support is always difficult , as opposed to a program that he’s in now, where he can point to a track record of success and he gets whatever he wants for any financial support aspect..

Even with all that, it’s still possible to get him, I think if people in power think he’s a possibility that they will bend over backwards to make what ever accommodations are possible, so there’s always an outside chance.

But don’t kid yourself, the chances of pulling him from a job where he’s had success, even if it’s not perfect, is extremely difficult, and highly unlikely.

Like I said before, unless things become toxic in Oregon, I don’t think he comes. No matter what we offer.
I dont understand why people seem to have a problem with this point of view.

Does Mario have interest to come here? Yes.

Is it likely that we will do it with Blake James as the AD? No, its impossible.

Will be really really really difficult to actually CONVINCE him to come here? Yes, 100%.

Why will it be really difficult to convince him? Theres a vacated spot at the AD position. There will be a massive staff turnover. Willingness to spend money will be a talking point.

I have no doubt Mario will come here if we make a good effort and have a good plan to demonstrate that we care. He is not stupid and he can see whether a program wants it or not. In my mind, the real problem here is our willingness to go for him. There is a difference between three influential people wanting him and 50 or 60 influential people wanting him.

Which is why we need to make the AD hire first. Given how Zo is presenting himself and his opinions publicly, knowing fans on social media will pick it up, I have no doubt he is ready for the job.

Advertisement
I dont understand why people seem to have a problem with this point of view.

Does Mario have interest to come here? Yes.

Is it likely that we will do it with Blake James as the AD? No, its impossible.

Will be really really really difficult to actually CONVINCE him to come here? Yes, 100%.

Why will it be really difficult to convince him? Theres a vacated spot at the AD position. There will be a massive staff turnover. Willingness to spend money will be a talking point.

I have no doubt Mario will come here if we make a good effort and have a good plan to demonstrate that we care. He is not stupid and he can see whether a program wants it or not. In my mind, the real problem here is our willingness to go for him. There is a difference between three influential people wanting him and 50 or 60 influential people wanting him.

Which is why we need to make the AD hire first. Given how Zo is presenting himself and his opinions publicly, knowing fans on social media will pick it up, I have no doubt he is ready for the job.
Obviously, only Zo and probably a few in his inner circle know what his intentions are.

Maybe he’s trying to be like Herbie and draw attention to the issues at his alma mater.

Maybe he’s trying to set himself up for a position at Miami

Only he knows.

I just find it curious that he’s in the middle of the NFL season 3000 miles away at his current place of employment and he’s spending a lot of time making the rounds of Miami related podcasts.

Obviously, only Zo and probably a few in his inner circle know what his intentions are.

Maybe he’s trying to be like Herbie and draw attention to the issues at his alma mater.

Maybe he’s trying to set himself up for a position at Miami

Only he knows.

I just find it curious that he’s in the middle of the NFL season 3000 miles away at his current place of employment and he’s spending a lot of time making the rounds of Miami related podcasts.
cause he wants to advertise himself for the job

Advertisement
A bunch of coaches Miami would never even be interested in, so it’s irrelevant.

Tbh for most Canes fans sake I wouldn’t really listen to me, I’m not really in the same groove as most of yall are at this point, I 100% believe that the solution to our problems is less Miami & not more Miami.

Meaning, I don’t think overcrowding the program with nothing but former Canes is gonna be a good thing in the long run, it will definitely get everyone excited, but I just mostly believe the whole hiring the Hometown Hero of the Alma Mater HC thing is mostly a wash in college football (when it comes to major programs). Sure there are exceptions to the rule like Ed O & Mike Gundy, but if we’re being honest we all know Orgeron wasn’t really the main catalyst for that 2019 title run, it was Joe Brady’s Offense & LSU’s high powered roster built with the best booster bag money could buy, every time LSU has won a Natty within the last decade it always ended pretty nasty with whoever their HC was because the only way they can ever muster up enough tonnage to box it out with Bama is to cheat to the high Heavens & then hope the penalties on the backend don’t last too long...

I’m more than likely gonna be a stand alone on an island with this one if Mario is the next HC, but I don’t think it’s gonna work out the way everyone else does, but that’s just me. And besides, I’m wrong most of the time anyway so don’t put too much thought into what I say lol.
Curious your thoughts on Napier, although I agree with you in that Miami will probably not even give him a look.

All I read from this is he coached his team to go 9-4 over the last 13 games.

Beat a top 10 team on the road. A team that never loses at home.

Won a conference championship game against a very talented USC squad.

How many times has UM won 9 games in the last 15 seasons?

I don’t care if you don’t beat the spread. Win the fcuking game. That’s all that matters. He’s doing a pretty good job with that at Oregon

Last year we’re 8-3 and people were micro-critiquing every play of every game.

I wonder if you’d feel the same way here if two plays changed and we were sitting at an ugly, penalty marred, assignment blown, poor tackling 4-2, making Manny 12-5 over his last 17.

Everyone says just win here, til the first time we win ugly.

Advertisement
Groupthink is a real thing. I’m sorry you’re not well read enough to understand it.

The multiple people here telling us he’s interested, can you point those posts out.

I’ll dissect them for you so you can better understand them.

No one has actually said here that I can recall, that he is interested now, or would be interested at the end of the season.

They’re just saying at one point there was interest. But you go on with your delusion.

Here’s another concept which I’m sure you won’t understand, but is actually occurring in this thread, it’s called confirmation bias. Chew on that for a while, bub.
I just think it's funny how you try to talk down to people on here like you're so smart but then mention groupthink and confirmation bias like they're super complicated terms as if that proves you're smart....when the reality is it suggests the opposite given those are common knowledge yet you apparently find them advanced.

We all understand what you're saying about Mario, it's just incorrect. Plenty of posters who know their **** have said Mario is a real possibility given the school makes some changes, which are apparently in the works.

You then further ignore all these posts and say you're using "logic" that there's basically 0% chance Mario would even consider returning. How could there be no chance for a former national championship player who absolutely loves the school and also the city to even CONSIDER returning?

You're the Manny Diaz of posters. You think you're the smartest guy in the room but everyone figured you out years ago and you just don't know it.

Understood for sure. It’s been a tough go for us. I do believe better times are ahead for us if the powers decide it’s time to do things right.
What is this nonsense?

He's a quitter who must suffer like the rest of us. Don't come waltzing back in here when we hire Mario and win the ACC Coastal forever.

Your card is marked, Brock.
Frustrated James Franco GIF

What is this nonsense?

He's a quitter who must suffer like the rest of us. Don't come waltzing back in here when we hire Mario and win the ACC Coastal forever.

Your card is marked, Brock.
Frustrated James Franco GIF
i think he is a dad now.

but thats just my Interpretation of his post

I understand what you’re saying, but if we’re dealing in reality, just in the last 15 years, which school has been much closer to national championships, on several occasions?

What has changed to make you think Miami is closer?

The reality is, Oregon has been closer and right now from where they stand they are still much closer than we are. Do you see that changing?

I’m not saying we can’t get close to a national championship, that’s what I advocate for, but let’s be realistic about where the two programs are right now and in the near future.
3 clown Head Coaches and a burned out husk of a man (who ALMOST managed to put us over the top in 2017 with what he had left to give).

Put a good HC and staff in Miami and you win big. It's as simple as that. That's always been the allure of this job. The recruiting grounds are far more fertile that Eugene, the location is far more attractive than Eugene (both for coaches and players) and the brand is far bigger than Oregon's.

Advertisement
Back