Interesting stat on Miami/Mario

Advertisement
Last year we’re 8-3 and people were micro-critiquing every play of every game.

I wonder if you’d feel the same way here if two plays changed and we were sitting at an ugly, penalty marred, assignment blown, poor tackling 4-2, making Manny 12-5 over his last 17.

Everyone says just win here, til the first time we win ugly.
I’d cut Manny a little more slack if we were
4-2 this season, but we’re not. And we’re not because we’re very poorly coached and Manny sucks.

Ultimately it comes down to wins and losses. I don’t care how you win. Just win the game.

16-14 reflects what type of head coach we have.

16-14 < 30-11

Some of yous guys fail to realize that just because something happens at Oregon doesn't mean it'll happen at Miami. Miami has a different conference, different opponents and a different level of talent than Oregon does. (or access to talent I should say)

A Miami team, assembled the way Cristobal would assemble it, is not losing to teams like Virginia, North Carolina and NC State.
I'm sure you can find some head scratchers during Saban's tenure at Michigan State. We all know what happened after that.

The same way your coaching trajectory changes when you get access to more resources and money, it also changes when you have access to more talent. I can almost guarantee that we would finally get back our speed and "dog" advantage with Mario as our head coach.
There’s this weird school of thought that everything if he came here would look like Oregon. Close wins slightly above avg defenses, boring offense. I think he’d get guys here he’d miss out on at Oregon. I mean playoff diff makers.

A bunch of coaches Miami would never even be interested in, so it’s irrelevant.

Tbh for most Canes fans sake I wouldn’t really listen to me, I’m not really in the same groove as most of yall are at this point, I 100% believe that the solution to our problems is less Miami & not more Miami.

Meaning, I don’t think overcrowding the program with nothing but former Canes is gonna be a good thing in the long run, it will definitely get everyone excited, but I just mostly believe the whole hiring the Hometown Hero of the Alma Mater HC thing is mostly a wash in college football (when it comes to major programs). Sure there are exceptions to the rule like Ed O & Mike Gundy, but if we’re being honest we all know Orgeron wasn’t really the main catalyst for that 2019 title run, it was Joe Brady’s Offense & LSU’s high powered roster built with the best booster bag money could buy, every time LSU has won a Natty within the last decade it always ended pretty nasty with whoever their HC was because the only way they can ever muster up enough tonnage to box it out with Bama is to cheat to the high Heavens & then hope the penalties on the backend don’t last too long...

I’m more than likely gonna be a stand alone on an island with this one if Mario is the next HC, but I don’t think it’s gonna work out the way everyone else does, but that’s just me. And besides, I’m wrong most of the time anyway so don’t put too much thought into what I say lol.
I don't see Mario getting us to #6. I do see Mario making us relevant again. Rarely do we see teams go from obscurity to champions in todays CFB landscape. I think a couple 10 win seasons in a row would at least make watching Miami football fun again.

Advertisement
Based on information, I expect us to make an aggressive run at Mario. There are boosters with difference-making money who want him as our coach. My guess is the struggle will be between the potential loaded Oregon roster and the appeal of saving his alma mater.

Some posters have pointed out Mario's occasional losses to inferior teams. It's a fair point, and he reminds me of Butch in that respect. But this stat jumps out to me, both for what it says about Mario and what it says about Miami:

Mario is 4-1 against Top 10 teams since he arrived at Oregon.

Since 2006, Miami is 2-13. And the average score is 36-16.

The Notre Dame game felt so special because it was so unusual. Whoever our next coach is, one of the most obvious areas for improvement is big-game performance.
If we do end up getting Mario I hope fans don't expect immediate results... He's not an offensive or defensive guru. He's never been an OC or DC. He's a CEO style HC and a program builder, I think it would take at minimum 2 full seasons until we start to see big improvements

Here’s my quick take. Who has won titles over the last 20 years outside of Saban? The elite of the elite coaches Carroll, Meyer, Jimbo (sadly), Dabo. And everyone else who has won had an all time QB at the helm Deshaun, Trevor Lawrence, VY, Cam… My point is you need a great QB and dogs all over. Mario can recruit like a m’fer. If he can get lucky with a QB, in the words of KG, “Anything is possible!!!”

I just think it's funny how you try to talk down to people on here like you're so smart but then mention groupthink and confirmation bias like they're super complicated terms as if that proves you're smart....when the reality is it suggests the opposite given those are common knowledge yet you apparently find them advanced.

We all understand what you're saying about Mario, it's just incorrect. Plenty of posters who know their **** have said Mario is a real possibility given the school makes some changes, which are apparently in the works.

You then further ignore all these posts and say you're using "logic" that there's basically 0% chance Mario would even consider returning. How could there be no chance for a former national championship player who absolutely loves the school and also the city to even CONSIDER returning?

You're the Manny Diaz of posters. You think you're the smartest guy in the room but everyone figured you out years ago and you just don't know it.

Don’t make things up. I never said anything close to “there's basically 0% chance Mario would even consider returning.”

Just confirms that we have a reading comprehension issue here.

Let me simplify it for you. The only factors that are important in Mario coming to Miami is his willingness to come to a program with less financial support and a lower level of infrastructure as well as a path to a national championship, proven by history over the last 15 to 20 years, that is much harder.

You can project and fantasize that it’s easier, but the last 15 years have not shown that.

So on balance, objectively looking at his choices, I think it is highly likely he remains where where he is.

Think it is extremely unlikely that he would choose Miami even if he’s told he gets everything he wants.

Does that help you?

Advertisement
Don’t make things up. I never said anything close to “there's basically 0% chance Mario would even consider returning.”

Let me simplify it for you. The only factors that are important in Mario coming to Miami is his willingness to come to a program with less financial support and a lower level of infrastructure as well as a path to a national championship, proven by history over the last 15 to 20 years, that is much harder.

You can project and fantasize that it’s easier, but the last 15 years have not shown that.

So on balance, objectively looking at his choices, I think it is highly likely he remains where where he is.

Think it is extremely unlikely that he would choose Miami even if he’s told he gets everything he wants.

Does that help you?
I agree with you 100%. If all that happens we’re a better program for the next decade. Also I’d only add that Miami is different because of access to talent year in and year out. Lots of coaches ****ed that away, but a bit time staff won’t. Otherwise we’re basically Pitt (who’s having a great year with day 1 Qb)

Does that help you?
Lmao, receipt taken. **** near word for word.
Screenshot_20211021-111103.png

Lmao, receipt taken. **** near word for word.
View attachment 158587

Close to zero is not zero. But I’m sure you didn’t get very far in math in school.

That’s not a receipt for me, that’s one for you and your lack of reading comprehension.

Later on in the thread I said somewhere less than 10 percent, ie, close to zero.

Close to zero is a non-zero number.

You’re playing little girl games of gotcha, but you’re only getting yourself.

Just keep digging.

Advertisement
i was responding to a know-it-all who said we had a bunch of billionaires sitting around.

i mentioned 2-3 members of the BOT who likely were (stu miller, soffer mike fernandez and jorge)(depending on the price of their stock) but other than them non BOT boosters are few if any.

I want to find this post where someone is saying there’s a bunch of billionaires sitting around.

3 clown Head Coaches and a burned out husk of a man (who ALMOST managed to put us over the top in 2017 with what he had left to give).

Put a good HC and staff in Miami and you win big. It's as simple as that. That's always been the allure of this job. The recruiting grounds are far more fertile that Eugene, the location is far more attractive than Eugene (both for coaches and players) and the brand is far bigger than Oregon's.
Plus no state income tax makes our dollars go farther to hold off whatever crazy offer Phil Knight throw at him to stay if offered here.

Advertisement
do some research on Feld before saying he's just a mustache lol
Everyone is completely missing the point of my post, including you. The indication was that Mario would make us "legit" from a strength and conditioning standpoint - what does that even mean? Feld is eccentric but a okay as a S&C coach, but so is Feeley. The difference is always in the caliber of athletes recruited.

Feld and his handlebar mustache alone wouldn't change our situation; S&C has been the least problematic area in a complete and under tornado of problematic areas.

Close to zero is not zero. But I’m sure you didn’t get very far in math in school.

That’s not a receipt for me, that’s one for you and your lack of reading comprehension.

Later on in the thread I said somewhere less than 10 percent, ie, close to zero.

Close to zero is a non-zero number.

You’re playing little girl games of gotcha, but you’re only getting yourself.

Just keep digging.
5rcgwy.jpg

Everyone is completely missing the point of my post, including you. The indication was that Mario would make us "legit" from a strength and conditioning standpoint - what does that even mean? Feld is eccentric but a okay as a S&C coach, but so is Feeley. The difference is always in the caliber of athletes recruited.

Feld and his handlebar mustache alone wouldn't change our situation; S&C has been the least problematic area in a complete and under tornado of problematic areas.
I agree with this absolutely.

Advertisement
Back