Interesting stat on Miami/Mario

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator
Based on information, I expect us to make an aggressive run at Mario. There are boosters with difference-making money who want him as our coach. My guess is the struggle will be between the potential loaded Oregon roster and the appeal of saving his alma mater.

Some posters have pointed out Mario's occasional losses to inferior teams. It's a fair point, and he reminds me of Butch in that respect. But this stat jumps out to me, both for what it says about Mario and what it says about Miami:

Mario is 4-1 against Top 10 teams since he arrived at Oregon.

Since 2006, Miami is 2-13. And the average score is 36-16.

The Notre Dame game felt so special because it was so unusual. Whoever our next coach is, one of the most obvious areas for improvement is big-game performance.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Based on information, I expect us to make an aggressive run at Mario. There are boosters with difference-making money who want him as our coach. My guess is the struggle will be between the potential loaded Oregon roster and the appeal of saving his alma mater.

Some posters have pointed out Mario's occasional losses to inferior teams. It's a fair point, and he reminds me of Butch in that respect. But this stat jumps out to me, both for what it says about Mario and what it says about Miami:

The Notre Dame game felt so special because it was so unusual. Whoever our next coach is, one of the most obvious areas for improvement is big-game performance.
Thanks for the insight D$. Hope it happens. He’s the best chance we have to get this thing fixed IMO. Any thoughts on Blake and his future outside what some other posters have mentioned?

Heard the same, but the only way Mario listens is if there is a full blown commitment to athletics and resources for staff and infrastructure. Mario is set for life and it's not about money for him. He'll make his money. He wants to win. Sick part is, I'd bet Highsmith comes in to help with personnel and run the team like a GM sort of and this is the same spot we were in 3 years ago with this exact scenario on the table.

Advertisement
The man has his flaws, no ifs ands or buts 'bout it....but they all do. He is by far and away the best of MOST REALISTIC (a concept most can't seem to grasp) option. The best thing about it, IMO, is that it would imply a change in structure and how we attack with this program going forward because 0% chance he comes if we short him on $ and how we invest overall going forward. I feel that it would signal a serious change up top and would raise some eye brows across CFB that we mean business if we got Mario to leave the money and what he has created in the PNW. Just my .02

With that being said, I don't see it honestly. I just don't have much faith in us.

There are definitely people that would take Mario in a heartbeat, I just question whether he even wants the job.

Being totally objective, I have to question the attractiveness of this job versus remaining at Oregon, with all the financial support and logistical support you could ever want.

Ask yourself, where does Mario have the greatest shot for success, based on fundamental structural, logistical, and general program support.

I know you already know this, but if people haven’t realized it, success is, in most cases, directly correlated to funding. Bottom line. All things being equal… Of course coaching ability is paramount, but removing that as a factor, funding is the bottom line. Equal coaches, one with support, one without support, the one with support will consistently win more.

The only way we have a shot at Mario is if it becomes toxic for him in Oregon.

That’s the only way this job becomes even slightly more attractive.

So maybe a win against a top 10 team at some point and losses to mediocre schools still? Sounds promising.....

There is for sure a chance with him. He's been to Miami twice in the past month, non football related, and I know some BOT have him on speed dial.
People who know him are even torn. That’s why I say it’s 50-50 lol. He’s been the only option. I’ve posted the deal before but all their eggs are in that basket. If they throw legit money at him and show him they’re taking this serious I think we have a legit shot. He’s very loyal to Oregon since they gave him a chance at a big big program. As I’ve said people close to him seem split on what he’d do, but I do know one said there’s only two college jobs he’d leave Oregon for.

Advertisement
1634664616873.gif

Hellooooo, is it me you loooking for? 🎶🎶

There are definitely people that would take Mario in a heartbeat, I just question whether he even wants the job.

Being totally objective, I have to question the attractiveness of this job versus remaining at Oregon, with all the financial support and logistical support you could ever want.

Ask yourself, where does Mario have the greatest shot for success, based on fundamental structural, logistical, and general program support.

I know you already know this, but if people haven’t realized it, success is, in most cases, directly correlated to funding. Bottom line.

The only way we have a shot at Mario is if it becomes toxic for him in Oregon.

That’s the only way this job becomes even slightly more attractive.
I feel like Oregon has reached its peak, and if USC makes a strong hire, then the Oregon ride at the top becomes harder to maintain.

Advertisement
Heard the same, but the only way Mario listens is if there is a full blown commitment to athletics and resources for staff and infrastructure. Mario is set for life and it's not about money for him. He'll make his money. He wants to win. Sick part is, I'd bet Highsmith comes in to help with personnel and run the team like a GM sort of and this is the same spot we were in 3 years ago with this exact scenario on the table.
Bingo.

This search reminds me of 2015. Stu Miller was so upset with the Clemson debacle in an empty stadium that he pushed for a sure-thing coach. The school knew going into that search that they would have to pay.

Blake told boosters and trustees that he wanted a coach with winning HC experience in a real conference, a clean background and preferably some Miami ties. Richt landed in his lap and fit his criteria perfectly. Richt was unfortunately at the end of his career, but notice how we met his demands: he got paid more than at Georgia, he had a big budget for assistants (Kool, Brown, etc.), he got the school to waive its nepotism policy and he got them to commit to facilities like the IPF.

Expect similar concessions if we go after a big-ticket coach like Cristobal.

People who know him are even torn. That’s why I say it’s 50-50 lol. He’s been the only option. I’ve posted the deal before but all their eggs are in that basket. If they throw legit money at him and show him they’re taking this serious I think we have a legit shot. He’s very loyal to Oregon since they gave him a chance at a big big program. As I’ve said people close to him seem split on what he’d do, but I do know one said there’s only two college jobs he’d leave Oregon for.
Alabama and _____?

So I assume Miami is one job he would leave for, who is the other?

So maybe a win against a top 10 team at some point and losses to mediocre schools still? Sounds promising.....
D and myself always compare him to Butch. He’ll build a good roster and will win , but will leave you scratching your head one or two times a year. I actually posted that word for word right before Stanford lol. So yes it is promising , he wins conference tiles , stays ranked , recruits like a beast and knows how to build a roster. We’d be lucky to have him. BA7A9339-7B6D-4930-BE00-763B46AAA3D9.png

Advertisement
Back