Interesting stat on Miami/Mario

A win against a top 10 team but a slip up against an inferior opponent but consistently finish with 9+ wins and legitimately contending for the Coastal and bring us some relevancy? Yeah, I'll take that right now considering we are a middle tier program right now averaging 7 wins over the past 10 years (which will drop to a lower number when this season is over) and being a national joke. Yeah. But more importantly, what do you suggest we do? Go after Urban? Mike Tomlin? Saban? Fickell? Good luck with that, lol.
I personally want Kiffin but would be ok with Mario as he is 1000 times better then Manny and realistically I doubt Miami would ever even consider Kiffin.

Advertisement
Took me a while to warm up to this but i have been convinced. He does check all my boxes and then some:

1. HC experience at a power 5? Yup
2. Won 10+ games in a season? Yup
3. Won his division? Yup
4. Won his conference? Yup
5. Won a major bowl? Yup
6. Victory vs top ranked opponents? Yup

He will **** us off more than we like, no doubt about it. But his experience says he can get us to to have the kind of season we had in 2017, maybe better.

Who wouldn't take THAT right now?

I hope he loses a couple more to cause some anger in Duck land but still wins enough to be seen as a splash hire if we can get him.

Mirabal.jpg

Yes please

This is purely speculation, but I suspect the culture gap between Oregon and Miami is a factor.

My family moved to Oregon from Cuba. Great place, we visit all the time, I was just in Eugene for a wedding. But there is no place more different than Miami on the map. The air, the slow drizzle of rain, the chill atmosphere v. the intensity, the fact that everyone is white. And football is just not as big of a deal.

Cubans come back to Miami if the money makes sense. And remember, Oregon has one of the highest state income taxes in the country. The biggest draw for him to stay at Oregon is likely the roster he assembled. They are set up for success.

Based on information, I expect us to make an aggressive run at Mario. There are boosters with difference-making money who want him as our coach. My guess is the struggle will be between the potential loaded Oregon roster and the appeal of saving his alma mater.

Some posters have pointed out Mario's occasional losses to inferior teams. It's a fair point, and he reminds me of Butch in that respect. But this stat jumps out to me, both for what it says about Mario and what it says about Miami:

Mario is 4-1 against Top 10 teams since he arrived at Oregon.

Since 2006, Miami is 2-13. And the average score is 36-16.

The Notre Dame game felt so special because it was so unusual. Whoever our next coach is, one of the most obvious areas for improvement is big-game performance.
Would Urban also be pursued?

Advertisement
I personally want Kiffin but would be ok with Mario as he is 1000 times better then Manny and realistically I doubt Miami would ever even consider Kiffin.

Well there it is. Beggars can't be choosers my dawg. We would be LUCKY for him to even seriously consider us IMO ....
Could we have a legit search and take a chance on an unproven up and comer and absolutely strike gold? Sure, but what's the likelihood of that happening ...

Advertisement
Will we put any pressure on Mario to be more aggressive on offense?

He has made some corching mistakes, but a high powered offense would make Mario formidable against any team with less talent. Wasting a guy like Herbert is my only concern with him.

With the way he recruits, playing conservative just gives bum teams a chance hang and build confidence. You kill your margin for error. Make a few mistakes, and you lose games you shouldn’t Don’t play with them. Blow them bytches out.

I'd be surprised if he was back.
This is the big thing, we love to pile on Manny (and he deserves it). But the AD has to be a leader, first and foremost. The rest will start falling into place once we get competent leadership.

As far as Mario, I consider him a B coach. Any coach you get will have his warts, sans Saban. I'll take Mario as I hope he continues to grow. Mario may not be perfect, but he's light years better than Diaz.

Advertisement
This is purely speculation, but I suspect the culture gap between Oregon and Miami is a factor.

My family moved to Oregon from Cuba. Great place, we visit all the time, I was just in Eugene for a wedding. But there is no place more different than Miami on the map. The air, the slow drizzle of rain, the chill atmosphere v. the intensity, the fact that everyone is white. And football is just not as big of a deal.

Cubans come back to Miami if the money makes sense. And remember, Oregon has one of the highest state income taxes in the country. The biggest draw for him to stay at Oregon is likely the roster he assembled. They are set up for success.

that roster is deeeep but they have a big hole at QB and if you don't have a QB well we all know how that goes. If, and its a big if, he really does want to coach at Miami at some point, he will never have more leverage than he does right now.

My family moved to Oregon from Cuba. Great place, we visit all the time, I was just in Eugene for a wedding. But there is no place more different than Miami on the map. The air, the slow drizzle of rain, the chill atmosphere v. the intensity, the fact that everyone is white and liberal. And football is just not as big of a deal.

FIFY

When you combine the fact of the roster he’s built, with the institutional support he already enjoys (as I mentioned previously everything from funding to facilities, the money, all that), add in the fan support, there’s not a package that we could put together that would drive him here.

That’s my opinion based on trying to be objective. And I love Miami more than anything, but it’s a hard truth for me.

Not that we shouldn’t try, but I’m finding it hard to believe anything we could come up with that would draw a logical nod to Miami as a better job

Advertisement
At one time I was very negative on Mario , I‘m pretty sure I started the Luigi stuff years ago lol. But he’s proven himself to be more than what I thought he was. Winning conference titles , recruiting like a monster , building a championship quality roster and most importantly he’ll bring toughness.

Miami was built on physical , tough , violent football. That was the dna of the program. We haven’t had an identity since the early 2000’s. That‘s what we desperately need and he’d bring that. Miami would once again be physical in the trenches and have a nastiness. Because that’s his identity.

Mario would 100 % be a culture shock for this program.

Would Urban also be pursued?
God I hope not. Urban is the short con. He’s good but Miami would be a stepping stone for something better down the line and the wake of devastation he’d leave after he was gone? Nah. We’re begging to be investigated WEEKLY with him at the helm. He’s be good short term but not long. Hard pass.

Last edited:
His rolodex is deep. He’s connected to HS coaches from Washington to SoCal to Texas to Alabama to the Northeast to Florida. He has pull nationally at Oregon, let alone Miami. Coaches in the industry respect him, he’d put together a pretty good staff if he were to come.

Advertisement
Back