Interesting stat on Miami/Mario

Advertisement
Yes, Mario loses or struggles in a game he has no business doing so, but some of you forget what that otherwise means if he came home to take over the Miami job. You all know what a consistent 10-2, 11-1 (especially in a consistently weak conference) record would do for recruiting especially when kids are giving Miami every opportunity to get them but the product on the field sucks right now. At some point, with his recruiting acumen, he'd land a special class that would render the "dumb loss" moot for a year which means a run at the title. None of that is guaranteed, obviously, but right now, 1 bad loss a year would be a tremendous upgrade from where we are right now.

Bama. This is from somebody close to him. Even he’s torn , he says its really bad timing right now , that’s why he’s not sure. Miami would really have to show him they’re taking this serious to make him leave what he’s building.
That's a competent and smart approach. But Saban doesn't look like he's slowing down anytime soon. I'd take 5-7 years (I'm assuming that's when discussions ramp up on Saban retiring) of Mario bringing us back to a good level before he bolts.

That's a competent and smart approach. But Saban doesn't look like he's slowing down anytime soon. I'd take 5-7 years (I'm assuming that's when discussions ramp up on Saban retiring) of Mario bringing us back to a good level before he bolts.
I think this would be his last stop if he left Oregon ( maybe NFL). Money isn’t the end all with the guy. He wants to win and wants to know the school is just as competitive as he is. That’s what he’s all about.

Advertisement
God I hope not. Urban is the short con. He’s good but Miami would be a stepping stone for something better down the line but the wake of distraction he’d leave after he was gone? Nah. We’re begging to be investigated constantly with him at the helm. He’s be good short term but not long. Hard pass.
I’d pitch it as retirement destination ala Pat Riley.

Last edited:
Blake is toast.

He’ll be fired before a coach is hired.

My prediction is that they’re just waiting until around the end of the football season.

Our next most important hire isn’t the coach, it’s the athletic director.

IMO, the people in power need to have someone that they trust, that they feel is competent, to run the overall program.
100% All talk is hot air until they do something about Blake. That's the move that tells us what direction the admin is going. Blake staying is really bad news for anyone who's a fan of Miami Athletics.

I think this would be his last stop if he left Oregon. Money isn’t the end all with the guy. He wants to win and wants to know the school is just as competitive as he is. That’s what he’s all about.

This is what I've been saying. UM should pitch to him a 10+ year plan and convince him this is his last job. I think if the school does that and shows him a vision and long range strategy and backs it up with quantifying it, it's a wrap, imo.

I think it was a blessing in disguise being at oregon. HC at a major institution that invested serious money into the program. He has that experience and wherewithal to take it to UM

Blake is toast.

My prediction is that they’re just waiting until around the end of the football season.

IMO, the people in power need to have someone that they trust, that they feel is competent, to run the overall program.
A thousand times this.

The people on the board have other ventures that sit outside of the university, and I'd have to imagine they're tired of revisiting this topic every 3-5 years for nearly two decades.

Advertisement
This is purely speculation, but I suspect the culture gap between Oregon and Miami is a factor.

My family moved to Oregon from Cuba. Great place, we visit all the time, I was just in Eugene for a wedding. But there is no place more different than Miami on the map. The air, the slow drizzle of rain, the chill atmosphere v. the intensity, the fact that everyone is white. And football is just not as big of a deal.

Cubans come back to Miami if the money makes sense. And remember, Oregon has one of the highest state income taxes in the country. The biggest draw for him to stay at Oregon is likely the roster he assembled. They are set up for success.
You forgot a few extra X factors..

You win a national title at Oregon and people would view that as really cool. Might even get Phil Knight to invite you to house for dinner on weekends.

But **** you win the **** ACC title at UM right now and he will never have to buy a meal or drink in this town again.

He wins a national title? He is a god and ESPN filmmakers are knocking at his door to start production on "The U part 3".

It just wont compare. He has to know this. He just has to.

People who know him are even torn. That’s why I say it’s 50-50 lol. He’s been the only option. I’ve posted the deal before but all their eggs are in that basket. If they throw legit money at him and show him they’re taking this serious I think we have a legit shot. He’s very loyal to Oregon since they gave him a chance at a big big program. As I’ve said people close to him seem split on what he’d do, but I do know one said there’s only two college jobs he’d leave Oregon for.

Who is the other team?

Advertisement
Blake is toast.

Spot on. BTW, you hear this board chirp hire that savage Tom Jurich. Well newsflash? I don't see bigger athletic departments picking up the phone. This guy won his lawsuit against Louisville 3 years ago. The guy is 65. Maybe he just does not want the nonsense.

Hiring an AD from a Power 5 conference is going to nearly impossible. We have a small athletic program similar to Vanderbilt or Wake Forest. Even with the money it would be a step back from a career perspective. So we are going to pull either a G5 Athletic Director or an Associate Athletic Director. I have no problem rolling out successful ADs every 4 to 5 years. Personally, an associate AD from a very successful department would be doable. These AD jobs are hard to get and highly sought after.

Last edited:
Many people complain about the games he loses but at worst we would be a coastal Contending team most years with a chance to take the next step if he can’t ever do it. We act like we aren’t on par with Duke or FSU right now.

Bonus points for if he does come it means we finally made the financial commitment top to bottom and have the bones to compete with schools who care about winning

I’d pitch it a retirement destination ala Pat Riley.
Please dont. I get your angle but this is the same mistake we made with Richt. Love the guy but he thought he was doing us a favor by just beating FSU every year after 5 straight years of losing to them and bringing us back to relevancy with the TO chain. This was his retirement job in his eyes and he was shocked when we got mad at him for actually wanting to win more!

Advertisement
I've never been a big Mario fan, but if he is our only legitimate shot I would definitely take him. I think he could really stockpile talent here
Exact same way I feel. I would prefer many others but would gladly welcome him. If he can fix the oline I would be content. If that happens, everything on offense falls into place. Stud backs going everywhere else won't happen. Qb's would come knowing they would have a solid oline. Domino effect.

At one time I was very negative on Mario , I‘m pretty sure I started the Luigi stuff years ago lol. But he’s proven himself to be more than what I thought he was. Winning conference titles , recruiting like a monster , building a championship quality roster and most importantly he’ll bring toughness.

Miami was built on physical , tough , violent football. That was the dna of the program. We haven’t had an identity since the early 2000’s. That‘s what we desperately need and he’d bring that. Miami would once again be physical in the trenches and have a nastiness. Because that’s his identity.

Mario would 100 % be a culture shock for this program.

I don’t think there will be any fist bumps after drop passes from him.

Spot on. BTW, you hear this board hire that savage Tom Jurich. Why newsflash? I don't see bigger athletic departments picking up the phone. This guy won his lawsuit against Louisville 3 years ago. The guy is 65. Maybe he just does not want the nonsense.

Hiring an AD from a Power 5 conference is going to nearly impossible. We have a small athletic program similar to Vanderbilt or Wake Forest. Even with the money it would be a step back from a career perspective. So we are going to pull either a G5 Athletic Director or an Associate Athletic Director. I have no problem roll out successful ADs every 4 to 5 years. Personally, an associate AD from a very successful department would be doable. These AD jobs are hard to get and highly sought after.

You get it.

Advertisement
Back