Interesting stat on Miami/Mario

Advertisement
Solid process. My question would be on number three. Do you think we need to focus on being competitive in the ACC first? Can the new coach who has been hired by the competent new AD recruit kids who are good players. Not superstars just good who can win games and are not entitled. Then sprinkle in the stars and make a run.

Can the new AD and power brokers actually have an impact in the ACC in regards to the BS that goes on in North Carolina?

At some point you have to stop thinking you are Miami and figure it out that you are not good and need to build. I am ranting now….

Number three is important but you’re not gonna do it overnight. The job to sell people into putting money into the program. In the end that’s Blake’s job. He failed at that too.

Number three is important but you’re not gonna do it overnight. The job to sell people into putting money into the program. In the end that’s Blake’s job. He failed at that too.
Got it. Baby steps. It would be nice to have a ‘UCLA’ game in the next year or two so you can have hope that things are starting to change. Then build off it. ND felt like it then followed by VT but the wheels fell off. Christ it is painful

Didn’t want the evening to end without pointing out Oregon won easily today against 2-5 Colorado.

But their defense allowed a 75% completion rate and 3 TD passes to a freshman QB who had a 50% completion rate and one TD coming in.

Also, they allowed 29 points to a team that’s scored 7, 0, 13, 14 and 3 points vs the P5 this season. Their lone offensive outburst, 34 points, came vs winless Arizona.

Advertisement
Based on information, I expect us to make an aggressive run at Mario. There are boosters with difference-making money who want him as our coach. My guess is the struggle will be between the potential loaded Oregon roster and the appeal of saving his alma mater.

Some posters have pointed out Mario's occasional losses to inferior teams. It's a fair point, and he reminds me of Butch in that respect. But this stat jumps out to me, both for what it says about Mario and what it says about Miami:

Mario is 4-1 against Top 10 teams since he arrived at Oregon.

Since 2006, Miami is 2-13. And the average score is 36-16.

The Notre Dame game felt so special because it was so unusual. Whoever our next coach is, one of the most obvious areas for improvement is big-game performance.
He will have to weigh how bad he really wants to coach his Alma Mater versus building his own thing out there . We will have to pony up big time and guarantee a quality and pricey staff for him...and we shouldn't do it any other way. That said, you only get a few opportunities (if your lucky) to coach your alma mater. For him, I figured it would be down the road a bit when UM finally moved on from Dolla Store Manny. Well, thanks to Herbstreit, Cowherd and other media....UM has been shamed, and they are making a move. It may be too early for Mario who likely would have come after getting let go from his first big head coaching gig...still, doable I bet.

Based on information, I expect us to make an aggressive run at Mario. There are boosters with difference-making money who want him as our coach. My guess is the struggle will be between the potential loaded Oregon roster and the appeal of saving his alma mater.

Some posters have pointed out Mario's occasional losses to inferior teams. It's a fair point, and he reminds me of Butch in that respect. But this stat jumps out to me, both for what it says about Mario and what it says about Miami:

Mario is 4-1 against Top 10 teams since he arrived at Oregon.

Since 2006, Miami is 2-13. And the average score is 36-16.

The Notre Dame game felt so special because it was so unusual. Whoever our next coach is, one of the most obvious areas for improvement is big-game performance.
I brought this up in another thread. Isn't there a one-time free transfer with immediate eligibility rule? Mario could resign and bring the cream of the crop from Oregon, correct?

….If you’re interested in what my wish list is, here it is, it’s not that complicated:

1. Hire an experienced AD, not necessarily one that has been the head guy, but has at least had success in a successful program (where football is the driver) - so he knows what it looks like. An associate athletic director would be OK, as long as he meets that criteria, and is energetic and has a vision for the program that coalesces well with the uniqueness of the Miami program.

I know a lot of people are pumping the Allonzo name out, and I’m not saying he shouldn’t be a candidate, but what athletic department experience does he have? Has he ever modeled or seen how an athletic department should be run? People just jump on ex-Miami as staff, I don’t go for that. They're employees. Paid to perform. I just want performance, not warm and fuzzy reminiscence.

2. With the new A.D., and as mentioned previously, go through the process of finding the best fit as a head coach - taking Miami’s situation into consideration.

3. This might be the most important of all, increase financial support by double or treble. It’s the only way we’re gonna be able to compete with the SEC schools. In other words, find boosters ready to pony up a shlt ton of money. Easier said than done.

My instructions being followed to the letter.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I brought this up in another thread. Isn't there a one-time free transfer with immediate eligibility rule? Mario could resign and bring the cream of the crop from Oregon, correct?

I cant see that happening. Seems like a move someone unloyal would do. Leave a place and destroy what you have built?? Doesnt fit the description of Mario that we have been provided.

Blake is toast.

He’ll be fired before a coach is hired.

My prediction is that they’re just waiting until around the end of the football season.

Our next most important hire isn’t the coach, it’s the athletic director.

IMO, the people in power need to have someone that they trust, that they feel is competent, to run the overall program.
PRESCIENT

Advertisement
Back