Interesting stat on Miami/Mario

Advertisement
@OriginalCanesCanesCanes Perhaps I missed it, but--apart from your belief that Mario to UM is a small chance--what is your personal opinion on whether it would be a good hire or not? Is he #1 on your list?

Number one on my list? I don’t have a list.

What I do wish is that a more thoughtful and thorough process is employed rather than the one that was used on the current coach.

If you’re interested in what my wish list is, here it is, it’s not that complicated:

1. Hire an experienced AD, not necessarily one that has been the head guy, but has at least had success in a successful program (where football is the driver) - so he knows what it looks like. An associate athletic director would be OK, as long as he meets that criteria, and is energetic and has a vision for the program that coalesces well with the uniqueness of the Miami program.

I know a lot of people are pumping the Allonzo name out, and I’m not saying he shouldn’t be a candidate, but what athletic department experience does he have? Has he ever modeled or seen how an athletic department should be run? People just jump on ex-Miami as staff, I don’t go for that. They're employees. Paid to perform. I just want performance, not warm and fuzzy reminiscence.

2. With the new A.D., and as mentioned previously, go through the process of finding the best fit as a head coach - taking Miami’s situation into consideration.

3. This might be the most important of all, increase financial support by double or treble. It’s the only way we’re gonna be able to compete with the SEC schools. In other words, find boosters ready to pony up a shlt ton of money. Easier said than done.

What I do wish is that a more thoughtful and thorough process is employed rather than the one that was used on the current coach.

If you’re interested in what my wish list is, here it is, it’s not that complicated:

1. Hire an experienced AD, not necessarily one that has been the head guy, but has at least had success in a successful program (where football is the driver) - so he knows what it looks like. An associate athletic director would be OK, as long as he meets that criteria, and is energetic and has a vision for the program that coalesces well with the uniqueness of the Miami program.

I know a lot of people are pumping the Allonzo name out, and I’m not saying he shouldn’t be a candidate, but what athletic department experience does he have? Has he ever modeled or seen how an athletic department should be run? People just jump on ex-Miami as staff, I don’t go for that. They're employees. Paid to perform. I just want performance, not warm and fuzzy reminiscence.

2. With the new A.D., and as mentioned previously, go through the process of finding the best fit as a head coach - taking Miami’s situation into consideration.

3. This might be the most important of all, increase financial support by double or treble. It’s the only way we’re gonna be able to compete with the SEC schools. In other words, find boosters ready to pony up a shlt ton of money. Easier said than done.
You didn't answer my question ;). So, let's presume Cristobal is hired. You are happy or disappointed?

I am reading a lot into DMoney's post (and that other poster (jp___)) who mentioned Mario is high on some important folks' list so maybe the end result is already preordained and the process will be more of a checkbox then something thorough, but if the result is the Mario hire, what do you think about him? Just curious since you've been staunchly in the camp it ain't happening.

You didn't answer my question ;). So, let's presume Cristobal is hired. You are happy or disappointed?

I am reading a lot into DMoney's post (and that other poster (jp___)) who mentioned Mario is high on some important folks' list so maybe the end result is already preordained and the process will be more of a checkbox then something thorough, but if the result is the Mario hire, what do you think about him? Just curious since you've been staunchly in the camp it ain't happening.

First of all I’m staunchly in the camp of it ain’t likely happening. It would take a set of unlikely circumstances for him to come to Miami. So let’s get that straight first.

Would I be disappointed if we hire him? No, in the sense that he’s going to be a lot better than what we have now.

But to me what’s more important is that we go through a thoughtful process of evaluating the job, the candidate, and what the best fit is, in terms of coaching personnel. A fit that results in winning.

One thing you don’t hear people talk about is Cristobal being this great recruiter, but has he ever been a great recruiter when he hasn’t had big bags behind him? You have to ask yourself that question.

Advertisement
Honestly, this may be one of the most CIS exchanges I have witnessed in quite some time...

Two posters having an argument concerning the nuance between saying we have a "0% chance" or "close to 0% chance" to hire a HC who is a Cuban-American, former UM player while our current HC (and AD) still hasn't been fired, resulting in one of them making a homo-erotic gif of the other calling into question his use of "logic," while spelling his username incorrectly.

Never change, CIS.
To be fair, I was pretty drunk when I created the gif and responded (I'm in Mexico). It seemed like a good idea at the time.

Everything before that was normal back and forth. Your summary wasn't quite right either but obviously it was all a little childish so I'm over it.

Bored Christopher Walken GIF

A bunch of coaches Miami would never even be interested in, so it’s irrelevant.

Tbh for most Canes fans sake I wouldn’t really listen to me, I’m not really in the same groove as most of yall are at this point, I 100% believe that the solution to our problems is less Miami & not more Miami.

Meaning, I don’t think overcrowding the program with nothing but former Canes is gonna be a good thing in the long run, it will definitely get everyone excited, but I just mostly believe the whole hiring the Hometown Hero of the Alma Mater HC thing is mostly a wash in college football (when it comes to major programs). Sure there are exceptions to the rule like Ed O & Mike Gundy, but if we’re being honest we all know Orgeron wasn’t really the main catalyst for that 2019 title run, it was Joe Brady’s Offense & LSU’s high powered roster built with the best booster bag money could buy, every time LSU has won a Natty within the last decade it always ended pretty nasty with whoever their HC was because the only way they can ever muster up enough tonnage to box it out with Bama is to cheat to the high Heavens & then hope the penalties on the backend don’t last too long...

I’m more than likely gonna be a stand alone on an island with this one if Mario is the next HC, but I don’t think it’s gonna work out the way everyone else does, but that’s just me. And besides, I’m wrong most of the time anyway so don’t put too much thought into what I say lol.

Negative. I've had this discussion with D$. If Mario is the guy then whatever but I'm on record as not liking the move. I don't think he's going to be able to recruit as well here as he has at Oregon and more importantly, I am 150% sick and tired of each week feeling like we are at a disadvantage when comparing coaching staffs on gameday. Mario imo would keep that trend going.

Negative. I've had this discussion with D$. If Mario is the guy then whatever but I'm on record as not liking the move. I don't think he's going to be able to recruit as well here as he has at Oregon and more importantly, I am 150% sick and tired of each week feeling like we are at a disadvantage when comparing coaching staffs on gameday. Mario imo would keep that trend going.
I think Mario checks a lot of boxes and recruiting wise ever single HS coach in FL respects him. You have to remember if he does come it means a lot of things have changed in our admin and football ops that he can sell on top. He’s won 2 division titles and has always recruited well. He would be great and if he does come it means we are committed to changing how the football program operates.

Advertisement
I think Mario checks a lot of boxes and recruiting wise ever single HS coach in FL respects him. You have to remember if he does come it means a lot of things have changed in our admin and football ops that he can sell on top. He’s won 2 division titles and has always recruited well. He would be great and if he does come it means we are committed to changing how the football program operates.
Every single high school coach respects him from afar. In almost 20 years of being in the college football desert and some of you guys have learned nothing. What do you think happens when Mario slips on that polo with the U on it? Things get much tougher for him. Familiarity breeds contempt. He won't be the local guy on the west coast showing love and recruiting Florida prospects and getting a couple. He'll be the coach in the backyard not paying enough attention to every coach's sleeper.

The agendas that don't make it out to Eugene will be right in his back yard. This high school coach thinks he should be an analyst on the new staff. You can't get my prospect that everyone wants because you aint showing love to the kid who belongs at FIU. Miami coaches haven't been to my school enough. And all of his gameday coaching issues will be on full display every week for the those guys to say why would we send our kids there when LSU, Ohio State and Alabama want them.

Advertisement
Every single high school coach respects him from afar. In almost 20 years of being in the college football desert and some of you guys have learned nothing. What do you think happens when Mario slips on that polo with the U on it? Things get much tougher for him. Familiarity breeds contempt. He won't be the local guy on the west coast showing love and recruiting Florida prospects and getting a couple. He'll be the coach in the backyard not paying enough attention to every coach's sleeper.

The agendas that don't make it out to Eugene will be right in his back yard. This high school coach thinks he should be an analyst on the new staff. You can't get my prospect that everyone wants because you aint showing love to the kid who belongs at FIU. Miami coaches haven't been to my school enough. And all of his gameday coaching issues will be on full display every week for the those guys to say why would we send our kids there when LSU, Ohio State and Alabama want them.
Exactly.

Advertisement

Solid process. My question would be on number three. Do you think we need to focus on being competitive in the ACC first? Can the new coach who has been hired by the competent new AD recruit kids who are good players. Not superstars just good who can win games and are not entitled. Then sprinkle in the stars and make a run.

Can the new AD and power brokers actually have an impact in the ACC in regards to the BS that goes on in North Carolina?

At some point you have to stop thinking you are Miami and figure it out that you are not good and need to build. I am ranting now….

Advertisement
Back