Interesting stat on Miami/Mario

I feel like Oregon has reached its peak, and if USC makes a strong hire, then the Oregon ride at the top becomes harder to maintain.

That seems irrelevant. Where would he get the most support? By a country mile.

If you’re making a job decision, do you pick the job with the highest probability for success, or the one with significantly lower probability for success? Which is the better job even under your circumstances? No chance in my opinion that he would seriously consider coming to Miami unless it just becomes totally toxic for him in Autzen.

Advertisement
People who know him are even torn. That’s why I say it’s 50-50 lol. He’s been the only option. I’ve posted the deal before but all their eggs are in that basket. If they throw legit money at him and show him they’re taking this serious I think we have a legit shot. He’s very loyal to Oregon since they gave him a chance at a big big program. As I’ve said people close to him seem split on what he’d do, but I do know one said there’s only two college jobs he’d leave Oregon for.
I was told before COVID that he would absolutely come to Miami. That was from one of his closest confidantes in the coaching profession.

Bingo.

This search reminds me of 2016. Stu Miller was so upset with the Clemson debacle in an empty stadium that he pushed for a sure-thing coach. The school knew going into that search that they would have to pay.

Blake told boosters and trustees that he wanted a coach with winning HC experience in a real conference, a clean background and preferably some Miami ties. Richt landed in his lap and fit his criteria perfectly. Richt was unfortunately at the end of his career, but notice how we met his demands: he got paid more than at Georgia, he had a big budget for assistants (Kool, Brown, etc.), he got the school to waive its nepotism policy and he got them to commit to facilities like the IPF.

Expect similar concessions if we go after a big-ticket coach like Cristobal.
Are you saying that Cristobal's young son will coach QBs?

...He'll probably do a better job than Richt Jr and Enos realistically.

Advertisement
That seems irrelevant. Where would he get the most support? By a country mile.

If you’re making a job decision, do you pick the job with the highest probability for success, or the one with significantly lower probability for success? Which is the better job even under your circumstances? No chance in my opinion that he would seriously consider coming to Miami unless it just becomes totally toxic for him in Autzen.
The reason I think it is relevant is because there are already a lot of Oregon folks that I have read that are unhappy with his performance (odd losses) and that is while the entire PAC is down. How much more toxic will things become is Kelly keeps righting the ship at UCLA and USC becomes a power again and those losses become more frequent?

I was told before COVID that he would absolutely come to Miami. That was from one of his closest confidantes in the coaching profession.
Yes but Oregon's brand/performance has increased since.

He's a different proposition to what he was.

Advertisement
I'd be surprised if he was back.

Blake is toast.

He’ll be fired before a coach is hired.

My prediction is that they’re just waiting until around the end of the football season.

Our next most important hire isn’t the coach, it’s the athletic director.

IMO, the people in power need to have someone that they trust, that they feel is competent, to run the overall program.

Bingo.

This search reminds me of 2015. Stu Miller was so upset with the Clemson debacle in an empty stadium that he pushed for a sure-thing coach. The school knew going into that search that they would have to pay.

Blake told boosters and trustees that he wanted a coach with winning HC experience in a real conference, a clean background and preferably some Miami ties. Richt landed in his lap and fit his criteria perfectly. Richt was unfortunately at the end of his career, but notice how we met his demands: he got paid more than at Georgia, he had a big budget for assistants (Kool, Brown, etc.), he got the school to waive its nepotism policy and he got them to commit to facilities like the IPF.

Expect similar concessions if we go after a big-ticket coach like Cristobal.
They don't have a choice this time around either.

People who know him are even torn. That’s why I say it’s 50-50 lol. He’s been the only option. I’ve posted the deal before but all their eggs are in that basket. If they throw legit money at him and show him they’re taking this serious I think we have a legit shot. He’s very loyal to Oregon since they gave him a chance at a big big program. As I’ve said people close to him seem split on what he’d do, but I do know one said there’s only two college jobs he’d leave Oregon for.
Sounds like our recruiting

This was pretty recent.

I sound like a broken record but Miami most show him they mean business. I’m talking dedication they’ve never shown before. Thats why I always mention “ infrastructure ”.

Advertisement
D and myself always compare him to Butch. He’ll build a good roster and will win , but will leave you scratching your head one or two times a year. I actually posted that word for word right before Stanford lol. So yes it is promising , he wins conference tiles , stays ranked , recruits like a beast and knows how to build a roster. We’d be lucky to have him. View attachment 158375
If not him than who?

Based on information, I expect us to make an aggressive run at Mario. There are boosters with difference-making money who want him as our coach. My guess is the struggle will be between the potential loaded Oregon roster and the appeal of saving his alma mater.

Some posters have pointed out Mario's occasional losses to inferior teams. It's a fair point, and he reminds me of Butch in that respect. But this stat jumps out to me, both for what it says about Mario and what it says about Miami:

Mario is 4-1 against Top 10 teams since he arrived at Oregon.

Since 2006, Miami is 2-13. And the average score is 36-16.

The Notre Dame game felt so special because it was so unusual. Whoever our next coach is, one of the most obvious areas for improvement is big-game performance.
His oc was in er before Stanford and didn’t coach against cal and he has had injuries issues

So maybe a win against a top 10 team at some point and losses to mediocre schools still? Sounds promising.....

A win against a top 10 team but a slip up against an inferior opponent but consistently finish with 9+ wins and legitimately contending for the Coastal and bring us some relevancy? Yeah, I'll take that right now considering we are a middle tier program right now averaging 7 wins over the past 10 years (which will drop to a lower number when this season is over) and being a national joke. Yeah. But more importantly, what do you suggest we do? Go after Urban? Mike Tomlin? Saban? Fickell? Good luck with that, lol.

Advertisement
Bama. This is from somebody close to him. Even he’s torn , he says its really bad timing right now , that’s why he’s not sure. Miami would really have to show him they’re taking this serious to make him leave what he’s building.
I was about to take his interest in the Bama job as a red flag, but you know what? It's a blessing. Slap a $20M buyout clause on our born and raised Cuban Nick Saban and if he succeeds here and goes to Bama we're swimming in cash.

Been 20 god **** years since we've had a coach worth a **** of being poached.

**** near every coach has flaws. Mario isn’t the world’s greatest football coach. But he has a REALLY high floor and he’s an excellent recruiter. With him and his staff, you immediately distance yourself from the Coastal. Now, I’m not saying we never lose to UNC or VT again, that’s silly. Mario has made some very curious decisions late in games that have pried defeats from the jaws of victory. But he is a proven coach. He would bring perennial top 10 classes here. We would be OUTSTANDING on the offensive line. We’d have a legit S&C program.

Can he win a natty? I don’t know. But I know for a goddamned fact he can pull us from mediocrity. And I’ll take that right now. Were this to actually happen, anybody that has the smallest problem with it is a legit insane person. This dude legitimizes the program immediately and brings something here we’ve been missing for a LONG time. Real, genuine toughness.

Advertisement
Back