Interesting stat on Miami/Mario

Legendary investor George Soros once said,

“It's not whether you're right or wrong, but how much money you make when you're right and how much you lose when you're wrong.”​

I think the same idea applies to this coaching search. We are at the point where the wrong hire probably all but puts us out of business. Not ******** this up cannot be underestimated and stressed enough. I think the idea with Mario is there is a very very high floor and that minimizes the ramifications of being wrong. I think this hire is more about not being wrong, rather than hitting the homer and being right. We need to win coastal, be fun to watch, beat the teams we are supposed to be most of the time etc etc etc. How can we even think about being a top 5 team right now. The ship is listing, we need to stabilize it. I am not expert but we need to hire smart and safe.
f george soros

Advertisement
Imagine anyone thinking anyone was actually serious about 15-0
I had zero problem with that, though it got annoying and really was never funny. I did, however, have a problem with posters like him who spent the offseason telling people they were not real fans or they were idiots if they pointed out Manny's weaknesses as a coach. Like everything else in America right now, heavens forbid someone has a different opinion from them.

For the record I would classify a Mario hire as significantly better than what we have now and that’s not even in question.

I certainly would not cry and scream, and I would be supportive.

Also understanding that he has some flaws that had been discussed in some depth on this site.

But I honestly think people don’t realize what a hard pull he would be.

If you take just a step back and look at the situation objectively, from a career standpoint, it would be a huge risk for him to take this job based on this position’s track record for the last 20 years.

He’s going from a situation of a lot more money to a lot less money, a lot more financial support to meager financial support.

Going from a program where boosters and money people were more than willing to shower the program with whatever funds they needed, to somewhere where actual coaches have had to pony up $1 million to finish an IPF. Where the athletic department literally bags for pennies.

Is it possible to get a better salary for him in Miami than it is for Oregon? Yes I’m certain that could happen. Is it possible to get the overall financial support for the program that Oregon can provide or many other SEC schools. No. That is a literal impossibility.

So does he want to go to a program where financial support is always difficult , as opposed to a program that he’s in now, where he can point to a track record of success and he gets whatever he wants for any financial support aspect..

Even with all that, it’s still possible to get him, I think if people in power think he’s a possibility that they will bend over backwards to make what ever accommodations are possible, so there’s always an outside chance.

But don’t kid yourself, the chances of pulling him from a job where he’s had success, even if it’s not perfect, is extremely difficult, and highly unlikely.

Like I said before, unless things become toxic in Oregon, I don’t think he comes. No matter what we offer.

Last edited:
I had zero problem with that, though it got annoying and really was never funny. I did, however, have a problem with posters like him who spent the offseason telling people they were not real fans or they were idiots if they pointed out Manny's weaknesses as a coach. Like everything else in America right now, heavens forbid someone has a different opinion from them.

Lmao

Advertisement
the bigger problem we have is that we have a bunch of very wealthy and successful businessmen who know their industry and work very well but don't know a **** thing about football. they should hire a competent AD and allow the competent AD to do his work.

if employees of these BOT had committed the level of incompetency and negligence in their businesses, they would have been fired. said differently, the BOT should be fired (if it were possible) for their gross negligence over the course of the last 15 years.
REMOVE THEM 1 BYE 1 💯

Actually, he doesn’t have that kind of money. He’s run-of-the-mill rich. You have to have billionaires to make a difference. No I just 1 billion, several billion at the very least.
He's on the board, and he's not the only billionaire on it. Marcus has pull and a big interest in Miami football.

5AF762A9-6D63-4EF6-8D23-711DAC267B9F.jpeg

Advertisement
You’re a mannyphobe

Advertisement
He's on the board, and he's not the only billionaire on it. Marcus has pull and a big interest in Miami football.

Does he have pull on the board? I think he would be ideal to spearhead a 10 year vision for the AD and the football program although his "E over W" nonsense kind of worried me.

Advertisement
who are the billionaires on the board. they aren't many, maybe 2 or 3. that's it.

Correct. But boosters don’t and aren’t necessarily limited to people on the board. That’s true everywhere.

Unfortunately we don’t have a ton of wealthy supporters willing to invest money, and our fanbase just doesn’t get the job done, good times or bad.

Places like Georgia and Alabama not only have wealthy boosters contributing, they have many more contributing along all income brackets, their fans just contribute more across-the-board. Whether they are middle-class, or extremely wealthy.

We have a fan base that’s never contributed much during good times or bad.

That needs to change. How that can be changed is the question. We have the potential to get much more in contributions, maybe never close to the extent of the big-time SEC schools, but we definitely need more contributions all along the line.

Just to even keep up with middle of the road schools.

Correct. But boosters don’t and aren’t necessarily limited to people on the board. That’s true everywhere.

Unfortunately we don’t have a ton of wealthy supporters willing to invest money, and our fanbase just doesn’t get the job done, good times or bad.

Places like Georgia and Alabama not only have wealthy boosters contributing, they have many more contributing along all income brackets, their fans just contribute more across-the-board. Whether they are middle-class, or extremely wealthy.

We have a fan base that’s never contributed much during good times or bad.

That needs to change. How that can be changed is the question. We have the potential to get much more in contributions, maybe never close to the extent of the big-time SEC schools, but we definitely need more contributions all along the line.

Just to even keep up with middle of the road schools.
i don't think we have any boosters who are billionaires. none.

For the record I would classify a Mario hire as significantly better than what we have now and that’s not even in question.

I certainly would not cry and scream, and I would be supportive.

Also understanding that he has some flaws that had been discussed in some depth on this site.

But I honestly think people don’t realize what a hard pull he would be.

If you take just a step back and look at the situation objectively, from a career standpoint, it would be a huge risk for him to take this job based on this position’s track record for the last 20 years.

He’s going from a situation of a lot more money to a lot less money, a lot more financial support to meager financial support.

Going from a program where boosters and money people were more than willing to shower the program with whatever funds they needed, to somewhere where actual coaches have had to pony up $1 million to finish an IPF. Where the athletic department literally bags for pennies.

Is it possible to get a better salary for him in Miami than it is for Oregon? Yes I’m certain that could happen. Is it possible to get the overall financial support for the program that Oregon can provide or many other SEC schools. No. That is a literal impossibility.

So does he want to go to a program where financial support is always difficult , as opposed to a program that he’s in now, where he can point to a track record of success and he gets whatever he wants for any financial support aspect..

Even with all that, it’s still possible to get him, I think if people in power think he’s a possibility that they will bend over backwards to make what ever accommodations are possible, so there’s always an outside chance.

But don’t kid yourself, the chances of pulling him from a job where he’s had success, even if it’s not perfect, is extremely difficult, and highly unlikely.

Like I said before, unless things become toxic in Oregon, I don’t think he comes. No matter what we offer.
Putting aside Cristobal's fondness for Miami that I keep getting told about, this job has got one thing going for it that Oregon can't match:
Location. Not only does he have to convince kids to live in Eugene (which gets increasingly difficult if UCLA or USC ever sort themselves out), but Miami is in the slap-bang in the middle of the hottest recruiting grounds in the country.

If he has ANY aspirations of winning a National Championship he knows it can be done at Miami. I remain unconvinced it can be done at Oregon.

I'll also throw in uniform - Oregon's 30 uniform combinations are hideous.

Putting aside Cristobal's fondness for Miami that I keep getting told about, this job has got one thing going for it that Oregon can't match:
Location. Not only does he have to convince kids to live in Eugene (which gets increasingly difficult if UCLA or USC ever sort themselves out), but Miami is in the slap-bang in the middle of the hottest recruiting grounds in the country.

If he has ANY aspirations of winning a National Championship he knows it can be done at Miami. I remain unconvinced it can be done at Oregon.

I'll also throw in uniform - Oregon's 30 uniform combinations are hideous.

If he wins out he’ll be in the playoff this season. Right now he has an easier route through the abysmal PAC -12 than any other conference imo.

Advertisement
Back