Interesting stat on Miami/Mario

If he wins out he’ll be in the playoff this season. Right now he has an easier route through the abysmal PAC -12 than any other conference imo.
They were ranked 10th in the AP rankings last week with 1 loss. That's how much respect the rest of the country has for the PAC-12. He'd have to go undefeated to get into the Playoffs.

Advertisement
Putting aside Cristobal's fondness for Miami that I keep getting told about, this job has got one thing going for it that Oregon can't match:
Location. Not only does he have to convince kids to live in Eugene (which gets increasingly difficult if UCLA or USC ever sort themselves out), but Miami is in the slap-bang in the middle of the hottest recruiting grounds in the country.

If he has ANY aspirations of winning a National Championship he knows it can be done at Miami. I remain unconvinced it can be done at Oregon.

I'll also throw in uniform - Oregon's 30 uniform combinations are hideous.

I understand what you’re saying, but if we’re dealing in reality, just in the last 15 years, which school has been much closer to national championships, on several occasions?

What has changed to make you think Miami is closer?

The reality is, Oregon has been closer and right now from where they stand they are still much closer than we are. Do you see that changing?

I’m not saying we can’t get close to a national championship, that’s what I advocate for, but let’s be realistic about where the two programs are right now and in the near future.

Advertisement
Advertisement
A win against a top 10 team but a slip up against an inferior opponent but consistently finish with 9+ wins and legitimately contending for the Coastal and bring us some relevancy? Yeah, I'll take that right now considering we are a middle tier program right now averaging 7 wins over the past 10 years (which will drop to a lower number when this season is over) and being a national joke. Yeah. But more importantly, what do you suggest we do? Go after Urban? Mike Tomlin? Saban? Fickell? Good luck with that, lol.
It’s not just our avg wins that is a joke. We are likely the worst performing team in the country when factoring in recruiting and strength of schedule. We never win when we’re supposed to lose, and when we are supposed to win convincingly, it’s a close game.

I wish someone with some free time could develop a metric that rates our performance while factoring in blue ship ratio and strength of schedule

i don't think we have any boosters who are billionaires. none.
The reality is the biggest boosters at Bama, Auburn, and Georgia and a number of other schools are not billionaires either. Once you get into the mid to high nine figures, you can spend whatever on passion projects and it isn’t impacting anything. The difference between them and us is those people’s passion projects are Bama, Auburn, and Georgia football. Look at Jimmy Rame with Auburn as an example. Ours are generally not.

The reality is the biggest boosters at Bama, Auburn, and Georgia and a number of other schools are not billionaires either. Once you get into the mid to high nine figures, you can spend whatever on passion projects and it isn’t impacting anything. The difference between them and us is those people’s passion projects are Bama, Auburn, and Georgia football. Look at Jimmy Rame with Auburn as an example. Ours are generally not.
Billionaires, no, but I think people underestimate the number of individuals quietly living their lives with $100m+ in the bank. I’ve heard first hand how politics and football get done in Louisiana…I imagine it’s very similar across the Deep South…lots of guys we’ve never heard of writing big fat checks for their biggest passion

Advertisement
And of course I'm joking . . . he's a fellow Columbus guy and I know Mirabal's brother. But this board will quickly turn on Cristobal the way it did with Golden if it senses that someone has a job b/c of a friendship.
Question did Mirabal play OL at Columbus with Mario? Not that it makes a difference just curious. I’ve always viewed Columbus OL as a well coached OL with a bunch of kids that outplay their talent and physical limitations. I know he’s not a big guy so Just wondering if Mirabal was one of those kids, especially since he’s such a good OL coach

So does this mean you’re going to start posting more again? Are you and I back in the Brock News Network (BNN) gif business? NYSOM is gone so you don’t have to worry about the rainbow network. Just saying…
Naw man, my days of being a frequent poster are long gone. I’ve detached myself this year from worrying about Miami football so much. It’s Bittersweet but I’m not stressing about it like I used To. I’ll pop in here and there though

Advertisement
Naw man, my days of being a frequent poster are long gone. I’ve detached myself this year from worrying about Miami football so much. It’s Bittersweet but I’m not stressing about it like I used To. I’ll pop in here and there though
Understood for sure. It’s been a tough go for us. I do believe better times are ahead for us if the powers decide it’s time to do things right.

Exactly. I mean come on some of these posters are treating Oregon likes its some elite level gig all of a sudden. Those mofos gave the reins to Mark Helfrich after Chip Kelly left and as soon as the great recruits were gone from the program he bombed out! 4-8! FIRED! No national search. No thorough search. Just handed the keys to the current OC at the time.

Then what did they do? Hired Willie Taggert! You have all the money and resources in the world, according to many on here, and you hire Willie Taggert! Then after he leaves after a season for what many would consider a better job huh? (FSU who came off a 7 win season was STILL considered the better job) ..So, what did Oregon do? A national search? NOPE! Hire Mario Christobal who just so happens to already be on staff. (Why does this series of events sound so familiar btw?)

Look if Mario wants to stay, good luck to him and good riddance. But miss me with the "Oregon is a way better job and it just makes more since for him to stay there instead of coming here" nonsense.
This.

All this close to Zero percent chance he comes here because of his so called amazing situation talk is nonsense.

Maybe we hire him. Maybe we don’t. The allure of coming back home and coaching at his alma mater will 100% get his attention regardless of however good his situation is.

That’s just using basic logic. Not to mention people connected to UM and people who know him are saying exactly that

Stuart Miller from Lennar I’d guess.

According to this Herald article from 2014, he had a $900 million net worth. I suspect he’s cracked the billion mark since then. ****, the way property values have soared in the last year, he may be a trillionaire by now!

i was responding to a know-it-all who said we had a bunch of billionaires sitting around.

i mentioned 2-3 members of the BOT who likely were (stu miller, soffer mike fernandez and jorge)(depending on the price of their stock) but other than them non BOT boosters are few if any.

Advertisement
Back