Interesting stat on Miami/Mario

Bingo.

This search reminds me of 2015. Stu Miller was so upset with the Clemson debacle in an empty stadium that he pushed for a sure-thing coach. The school knew going into that search that they would have to pay.

Blake told boosters and trustees that he wanted a coach with winning HC experience in a real conference, a clean background and preferably some Miami ties. Richt landed in his lap and fit his criteria perfectly. Richt was unfortunately at the end of his career, but notice how we met his demands: he got paid more than at Georgia, he had a big budget for assistants (Kool, Brown, etc.), he got the school to waive its nepotism policy and he got them to commit to facilities like the IPF.

Expect similar concessions if we go after a big-ticket coach like Cristobal.

A clean background? So this is Blake’s mandate?

So once Blake is jettisoned, does that mean Zo or whoever is ad can make serious run at a coach who ain’t squeaky clean if Mario is unavailable?

I would to give Freeze an opportunity here under that scenario. He would come cheap and leave a lot of meat on the bone for assistants, recruiting budget, and infrastructure.

Advertisement
While I'm not some huge Mario fan (as head coach), if the standard is getting guys that don't lose to lesser teams, going to be a long long search. Alabama fans wanted the DC fired for losing 1 game. I remember being spoiled like that and people hating Coker as OC.

This is purely speculation, but I suspect the culture gap between Oregon and Miami is a factor.

My family moved to Oregon from Cuba. Great place, we visit all the time, I was just in Eugene for a wedding. But there is no place more different than Miami on the map. The air, the slow drizzle of rain, the chill atmosphere v. the intensity, the fact that everyone is white. And football is just not as big of a deal.

Cubans come back to Miami if the money makes sense. And remember, Oregon has one of the highest state income taxes in the country. The biggest draw for him to stay at Oregon is likely the roster he assembled. They are set up for success.
Without tampering or anything I wonder if any pieces on that Oregon team would follow him down here. (And no I am not saying half the team or anything but maybe 3 or 4 key young players). A few guys left Auburn and transferred to UCF this year.

Advertisement
A win against a top 10 team but a slip up against an inferior opponent but consistently finish with 9+ wins and legitimately contending for the Coastal and bring us some relevancy? Yeah, I'll take that right now considering we are a middle tier program right now averaging 7 wins over the past 10 years (which will drop to a lower number when this season is over) and being a national joke. Yeah. But more importantly, what do you suggest we do? Go after Urban? Mike Tomlin? Saban? Fickell? Good luck with that, lol.
Facts to all of this. The hysterical part is that I’ve seen people on here criticize every single HC out including Urban and Saban, with the but but but he failed in the NFL. Nobody is good enough, until they are the HC here. Remember the Richt is a top 5 coach when he was hired?

Without tampering or anything I wonder if any pieces on that Oregon team would follow him down here. (And no I am not saying half the team or anything but maybe 3 or 4 key young players). A few guys left Auburn and transferred to UCF this year.
a couple of Flowes would be nice

Spot on. BTW, you hear this board hire that savage Tom Jurich. Why newsflash? I don't see bigger athletic departments picking up the phone. This guy won his lawsuit against Louisville 3 years ago. The guy is 65. Maybe he just does not want the nonsense.

Hiring an AD from a Power 5 conference is going to nearly impossible. We have a small athletic program similar to Vanderbilt or Wake Forest. Even with the money it would be a step back from a career perspective. So we are going to pull either a G5 Athletic Director or an Associate Athletic Director. I have no problem roll out successful ADs every 4 to 5 years. Personally, an associate AD from a very successful department would be doable. These AD jobs are hard to get and highly sought after.

Also, there’s this obsession on this board with Alonzo, we just need the best qualified candidate that we can get, to turn the ship around.

I’m not so sure that it’s Alonzo. Maybe it is him, but where is his track record of success in athletic departments? There is none. So it would be a little bit of a reach and I don’t think there’s any question about that.

It’s close to same mentality that says, “hey, we should hire Ray Lewis as a linebackers coach or as a defensive coordinator“

Advertisement
I don’t think there will be any fist bumps after drop passes from him.
After he went insane on the Tr-Fr WR for the taunting penalty I knew he was the type of guy we needed in this program right now. And I thought it was a BS penalty too and im sure Mario the next day in film session knew it too.. but in the moment, gotta let kids know that being undisciplined wont be tolerated. EVER. This team needs that type of leader.

Mario also, as I recall, used the portal pretty effectively when he was getting started up there. Brought in a lineman from Oregon, a couple of QBs (including the current one), DJ Johnson from here, etc. Wouldn't be surprised to see him bring a couple of dudes from Oregon as well as from the SEC to bolster the trench units.

Advertisement
Based on information, I expect us to make an aggressive run at Mario. There are boosters with difference-making money who want him as our coach. My guess is the struggle will be between the potential loaded Oregon roster and the appeal of saving his alma mater.

Some posters have pointed out Mario's occasional losses to inferior teams. It's a fair point, and he reminds me of Butch in that respect. But this stat jumps out to me, both for what it says about Mario and what it says about Miami:

Mario is 4-1 against Top 10 teams since he arrived at Oregon.

Since 2006, Miami is 2-13. And the average score is 36-16.

The Notre Dame game felt so special because it was so unusual. Whoever our next coach is, one of the most obvious areas for improvement is big-game performance.
I think the struggle will be more along these lines....at Oregon I get everything I ask for to be successful....at UM I might get 60% of what I ask for to be successful if Im lucky. Why take the career risk if they are not going to provide what I need to succeed?

I’ve been steadfast saying I don’t expect Blake to be the Ad next year , but if Mario comes there’s a one thousand percent chance he wont be the Ad.

I think a 1000% chance he won’t be AD next year, irrespective of Mario or no Mario.

There is a lot of pent up anger and resentment inside towards Blake. i’m not claiming to be some super connected insider, I just know what I hear in bits and pieces. That feeling is not going away.

One can objectively look at what Blake has done, and from a job performance standpoint, it’s a fail.

These are business people we are talking about. They know fail when they see it.

And it’s been building, and not just this year either.

Advertisement
I think a 1000% chance he won’t be AD next year, irrespective of Mario or no Mario.

There is a lot of pent up anger and resentment inside towards Blake. i’m not claiming to be some super connected insider, I just know what I hear in bits and pieces. That feeling is not going away.

One can objectively look at what Blake has done, and from a job performance standpoint, it’s a fail.

These are business people we are talking about. They know fail when they see it.

And it’s been building, and not just this year either.
I posted after Manny was hired they were tied at the hip , it would be sink or swim for both. I was told that then and nothing has changed.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back