Interesting comments from Vereen

Advertisement
Jordan's first 3 titles were during a no free agency / no cap period. His last 3 were during a free agency / no cap period. Tom Brady won in 2001/2 and 2018/19. Obviously in that time period there was always free agency and a salary cap. Also, his teammates have changed entirely as he's won as many titles as Michael Jordan. Jordan consistently has Pippen for his 6 titles, who has Brady had?

Also- they call them the "Jordan Rules" for a reason, he was as coddled as Brady, if not more. Ever seen the refs re Cam Newton? He's being assaulted on the field like Bill Laimbeer on MJ pre-Jordan Rules. The NBA very much needed MJ to be the best and the rules and refs made that happen. Brady is fighting against the commish not with him.

Ok, you're a Superfan. But if you looked up that bogus roughing the passer lo and behold it was implemented in 2001. Say what you want, the guys I named, along with the Ken Andersons, Ron Jaworkis and so on secretly laugh at such a notion given the punishment they took and how Brady cries like a ***** dam near every time he gets hit. He left the tackle box and turned upfield becoming a running back, got smacked and got up whining to the referee. Please.

I'm not a fan. I hate the Patriots like hate the Gators. That has nothing to do with recognizing greatness.

Since being drafted Brady has been to more Super Bowls and won as many rings as Brees, Manning, Big Ben, Rogers, Flacco, Ryan, Vick, Bradford, Luck, Stafford and Newton, combined while playing under the same exact rules.

Then again, I haven't had been part of all these super secret meetings where all the old time QBs get together to laugh at Brady, so what do I know.

If the 41 year old argument is invalid and irrelevant and athleticism has nothing to do with sucess at that position, please name just one other quarterback, or ANY professional athlete for that matter, that's performed at the level Brady is at that age.

No one is denying Brady's greatness, and he is definitely in the discussion for greatest QB of all time, but trying to compare him to MJ is ridiculous on many fronts.

1.) MJ was 6-0 in the Finals, with 6 Finals MVPs, in a sport that features the individual player more so than football does.

2.) The argument of longevity is based on many factors. When trying to compare Brady to other QBs or to athletes in other sports, it is absolutely imperative that you closely examine the era in which he plays in, because it has a profound impact on not only how well he plays, but also how long. To better understand what I'm trying to say, I recommend that you read these 2 articles, which perfectly encapsulate the primary issues facing this current NFL era.

1.) https://www.theringer.com/2016/9/7/16077250/the-nfl-has-an-age-problem-7068825845e4

2.)
https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2018/10/10/17958238/quarterback-trend-easy-difficulty-jared-goff-drew-brees-patrick-mahomes

Last edited:
Advertisement
The only thing that can discredit Brady is Belichick. Now, anyone who says Brady isn't clearly in the short list for greatest qb is stupid. His intangibles and results alone put him there. But he did enter a great situation and to his credit and his work ethic, has taken advantage and improved over his career.

But would he have won 5 SBs in another situation another team and without Belichick? 3? 1?? Now the same thing can be said about Belichick, would he have won 5 without Brady? Idk probably not, but he did almost take Matt Cassell to the playoffs. Guys like Elway, Marino and Manning would have been all-time greats anywhere they went, maybe Brady might still have been great, but I will never be able to completely mention him without Belichick just imo.

Edit: missed playoffs with cassell at 11-5

Or does Belichick win without Brady, the QB he thought so highly of, he took a 6th round flyer on him? The argument is circular and silly. He's the GOAT, that's it.

Hmm didn't see Jordan beating Bird or Magic in all of that corp BS video, did you? LMAO Show me where Jordan beat Bird in the playoffs? You can't because it didn't happen Bird swept him in the playoffs. That video was not just Jordans first two years. Bird dominated him until he hurt his back. In fact I don't think Jodan ever beat Bird in the playoffs.

Bird built Jordan and others up all the time before he destroyed them in the forth. Magic was the only one he feared, I've seen Magic dominate, what an electric game he brought with him. I thank God I was one of those people who got to see him play. Those Sunday games in the Garden were waited for all year long. Jordan was **** compared to Magic.

When Jordan tried to guard Bird it was a joke, I had tears in my eyes from laughing so hard when that happened. Jordan had nice sneakers though. LMFAO

failed to address a single point I stated, i'll address some of yours

yes bird dominated him in the playoffs... with the greatest team of all time, which bird was on. Which bird was ALSO on for the entirety of his career.

the guy played with hall of famers for 99% of his life, or may as well have been
Jordan's first 3 titles were during a no free agency / no cap period. His last 3 were during a free agency / no cap period. Tom Brady won in 2001/2 and 2018/19. Obviously in that time period there was always free agency and a salary cap. Also, his teammates have changed entirely as he's won as many titles as Michael Jordan. Jordan consistently has Pippen for his 6 titles, who has Brady had?

Also- they call them the "Jordan Rules" for a reason, he was as coddled as Brady, if not more. Ever seen the refs re Cam Newton? He's being assaulted on the field like Bill Laimbeer on MJ pre-Jordan Rules. The NBA very much needed MJ to be the best and the rules and refs made that happen. Brady is fighting against the commish not with him.

so you think the jordan rules were to help jordan?? lmfao get it right man, those rules were made by the pistons because THEY.COULD.NOT.STOP.HIM

man some of you need to CHECK YOURSELVES at the door, this is straight blasphemy

I remember when Troy Aiken got his leg broken by Jermaine Brown and ended up transferring from Missouri to USC.
Troy Aikman was playing for Barry Switzer's Oklahoma Sooners when he got his leg broken by UMs Jerome Brown. From there he went to UCLA.

Advertisement

cant think of any team who has gotten more favorable calls than the Pats...not hating just the truth. And Nobody in professional sports ( other than golfers or tennis players) get coddled more than QB's in the nfl, especially Brady.... i think hes the goat Qb but hes not MJ

1.) Football is much more of a team sport than Basketball is. What this essentially means is, despite the importance of the QB position, a player can have a far greater impact on the overall outcome of the game in Basketball, than they can in Football. Having to play Offense & Defense is one of the reasons why, but not the only one.

2.) The 41 yr old argument is invalid & irrelevant because the QB position has never been predicated around athleticism, in the same manner that other positions in the sport are. This is especially true of Brady, who when drafted in 2000 was already one of the least athletic QBs to ever enter the league.

these arguments are never won with a single name. almost impossible.

the GOAT's are more about being in an elite group.

example, in my view, for greatest in the history of team sports you'd have:

Brady
Gretzky
Jordan
Wilt
Pele'

The Jordan vs Brady argument is easy. It goes to Brady every time it’s easier to win a championship in basketball if you’re a great player. Also Jordan needed help of other hall of fame level players to get it done. Brady has always had lesser players on his teams but always won. I hate the Pats but it’s pretty simple when you look at the rosters of the Bulls and Pats. Bulls roster is way better

Advertisement
I saw Montana win 4 rings, saw Jordan win 6 rings, saw Aikman win 3 rings, saw Gretzky win 4 Stanley Cups...Brady's no original.

LOL, Brady's not even the most decorated athlete in Boston sports history, that would be Bill Russell with 11 rings.
How many of them are still doing it at age 40+.Bill Russell is the only one you can put with Brady but you have to admit football is a tougher sport on the body than basketball is.Montana and gretsky are great players who accomplished more than what most people will never do except brady.whether you like him or not his record speaks for itself and there's no way anyone can downplay it period.just like saban and bama you have to swallow your pride and tip your hat to them.

yes bird dominated him in the playoffs... with the greatest team of all time, which bird was on. Which bird was ALSO on for the entirety of his career.

the guy played with hall of famers for 99% of his life, or may as well have been

so you think the jordan rules were to help jordan?? lmfao get it right man, those rules were made by the pistons because THEY.COULD.NOT.STOP.HIM

man some of you need to CHECK YOURSELVES at the door, this is straight blasphemy

“It started with Michael Jordan. The referees used to tell the younger referees that if Jordan goes to the hole and if there’s a crowd there then just blow the whistle. That’s what the refs are programmed to do.” - Tim Donaghy

Advertisement

Funny they stopped him in the 88-89 and 89-90 playoffs. Most of your information is trash talk.

When Bird came into the league the Celtic were horrible, in his first year it was one of the biggest turn arounds in history, look it up. Bigger Margin than when Jordan came in. Bird Made them all better, specially Parish. He made bum white guys on the team look average.

MJ was a one man show. He had zero help...not until Pip and Grant came along . Once he got help, ONE OTHER PERSON, the rest was history. LOL.

As far as the ball hog theory....MJ avg. 29.3 / 8.5 apg as rookie in his first playoff game as a rookie. MJ went on to have 10 straight triple doubles several years later b/c that's what was asked of him. MJ was far from a ball hog. Kobe, yes, ball hog. MJ just did whatever it took to win, but he did have some learning curves to work w/in the frame work of the team and Phil helped him w/ that.

No he didn't do whatever it took to win, he didn't win for 7 years and his teams were not as bad as people cry about. Bird would just wait till the 4th quarter and put it away, it was easiest when Jordan was guarding him that was a total joke. Take a look shots per game and who took the most, Kobe and Jordan are at the top. Jordan had open guys all the time right at the free throw line, instead he'd take some off balance brick. That's why he lost. Detroit also had his # in 88-90 with Pippen. Nobody gives the worm the credit he deserves, on of the best of all time and tough as nails.

Advertisement
Back