Indoor Practice Facility Progress

Advertisement
Should be done in 2019 I believe, at least the new dorm.

The university, from what I understand based on the master plan is planning on this schedule for on campus housing:

Fall 2019 - New dorm complete.
2020-2022 - Demolition of Hecht/Stanford towers and construction of a new housing complex in the same place.
2023 - renovation of Eaton
2024-2025 - renovation of Mahoney-Pearson.

So, it's a complete overhaul of campus housing within the next 7 years, which as Dee said is huge for recruiting, especially getting the 1st new dorm done. Can't remember the total price tag but I know the new dorm is around $155 million project

I am very confused by all of this, but also very excited.

I thought the new dorm being built to the north of Eaton was going to replace Eaton. While I am glad to see my former home remain (first 3 years at UM, goooo Eaton Beavers!), Eaton IS the oldest dorm on campus and was last renovated in the summer of 1986, just before I enrolled. Also, Eaton is only 4 stories tall (and the first floor does not house students), so it seemed likely to be the site of a taller building. At any rate, I am glad that the beautiful lake views will remain, and I will try to convince my nieces to choose Eaton over a newer building (for now).

Mahoney-Pearson renovations make sense, a bit newer than Eaton (same design), but taller and with a parking garage. I rode out Hurricane Andrew in Pearson, looking due east until we were forced into the hallways, so I know the building is solid. The basement is **** scary though (I did work-study for the Office of Student Housing), so it would be nice if they could turn that into an underground study bunker or something.

Towers - what the what? I realize that they are a functional design nightmare, but they are iconic images of the campus and they can weather any hurricane. More than any other campus buildings, I would LOVE to see the replacement design, I certainly hope it will be something equal to, or better than, what we already have so that we will have an impressive backdrop for College Gameday 2023. The "guys floor/girls floor/common bathrooms" design is terrible, but I hope the new buildings are at least 12 stories, even if part of the design is parking garage. Wait, I've got it...we get former dean of the School of Architecture, Elizabeth Plater-Zyberk to build 4 ROUND towers, with different foliage in the middle floors. One tower has a palm tree in the middle, one has a key lime tree, one has an orange tree, etc.

****, now I just need to find a good UM doctoral program to which I could apply...

The first one is our prized recruit. Its beautiful & will help sell the vision for where were headed. Our dorms now are beyond pitiful. I was ashamed the shape the dorms were in when i moved my nephew in. Hadnt realized its gotten so bad. Itll completely transform the campus and finally allow us to compete with anyone in the nation. Honestly other than the blind eye the ncaa turns on certain conferences & programs itll be the last chip that finally allows us an even playing field with virtually anyone in the country. Obviously id love for us to be able to .arch out an on campus stadium. But at a certain point any of us that know the surroundings need to be practical. Physically its just not possible. Can you imagine game day traffic on us1... fml id rather think not. Maybe eventually tropical will become possible but in the mean time we have a beautiful stadium which finally (thanks to all the construction) has a actual game day atmosphere to it. Lets embrace where were at & far more importantly where were headed.

Dee, I agree that the dorms need renovation. Mahoney-Pearson and Eaton were last renovated in the 1980s.

An on-campus stadium probably could have worked prior to the new dorm construction. You comment on US1, but a lot of people could take the Metrorail (especially once it is extended to the Dade-Broward line). Also, you could use those Coral Gables trolleys, bring a bunch of people from the downtown Gables-area parking garages, then they could hit the restaurants on Miracle Mile before/after the game.

I'm one of the biggest proponents of building an on-campus stadium, but I think that construction/renovation of other areas is too far along. Our last shot would be to buy everything between Ponce-Granada-Blue-Orduna to expand the campus.

I thought the new dorm being built to the north of Eaton was going to replace Eaton. While I am glad to see my former home remain (first 3 years at UM, goooo Eaton Beavers!), Eaton IS the oldest dorm on campus and was last renovated in the summer of 1986, just before I enrolled. Also, Eaton is only 4 stories tall (and the first floor does not house students), so it seemed likely to be the site of a taller building. At any rate, I am glad that the beautiful lake views will remain, and I will try to convince my nieces to choose Eaton over a newer building (for now).

Mahoney-Pearson renovations make sense, a bit newer than Eaton (same design), but taller and with a parking garage. I rode out Hurricane Andrew in Pearson, looking due east until we were forced into the hallways, so I know the building is solid. The basement is **** scary though (I did work-study for the Office of Student Housing), so it would be nice if they could turn that into an underground study bunker or something.

Towers - what the what? I realize that they are a functional design nightmare, but they are iconic images of the campus and they can weather any hurricane. More than any other campus buildings, I would LOVE to see the replacement design, I certainly hope it will be something equal to, or better than, what we already have so that we will have an impressive backdrop for College Gameday 2023. The "guys floor/girls floor/common bathrooms" design is terrible, but I hope the new buildings are at least 12 stories, even if part of the design is parking garage. Wait, I've got it...we get former dean of the School of Architecture, Elizabeth Plater-Zyberk to build 4 ROUND towers, with different foliage in the middle floors. One tower has a palm tree in the middle, one has a key lime tree, one has an orange tree, etc.

****, now I just need to find a good UM doctoral program to which I could apply...

You can see renderings of the proposed renovations here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/southfl...t-look-university-of-miami-proposes-100m.html

Campus is going to look completely different in 5-6 years

Advertisement
That's interesting they are demolishing the newest dorms but only renovating the older ones. However, I can attest I never wanted to live in Stanford or Hecht towers. Sharing a community bathroom with the entire floor was way less than desirable than sharing a bathroom with one other room.

Pearson, Mahoney and Eaton are considered "historic" by the city of Coral Gables and can not legally be demolished.

Advertisement
Dee, I agree that the dorms need renovation. Mahoney-Pearson and Eaton were last renovated in the 1980s.

An on-campus stadium probably could have worked prior to the new dorm construction. You comment on US1, but a lot of people could take the Metrorail (especially once it is extended to the Dade-Broward line). Also, you could use those Coral Gables trolleys, bring a bunch of people from the downtown Gables-area parking garages, then they could hit the restaurants on Miracle Mile before/after the game.

I'm one of the biggest proponents of building an on-campus stadium, but I think that construction/renovation of other areas is too far along. Our last shot would be to buy everything between Ponce-Granada-Blue-Orduna to expand the campus.
I think the Coral Gables locals would fight the **** out of an in campus stadium. The traffic that would cause would be insane and there wouldn't be anywhere to tailgate. I don't ever see us having an on campus stadium with how limited space is.

I think the Coral Gables locals would fight the **** out of an in campus stadium. The traffic that would cause would be insane and there wouldn't be anywhere to tailgate. I don't ever see us having an on campus stadium with how limited space is.

Never ever happening.

Why do people even bring it up?

Just try going to a basketball game with a fraction of the people and see what US1 looks like. Also, US1 pretty much any other time except like 4 in the morning. Plus, nowhere to put the stadium, no place to park, hundreds of millions of dollars that municipalities would have to spend for road and infrastructure improvement (with no return for them). Also, the city of Coral Gables will not permit it. IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN. A physical, space, approval, and logistical impossibly. What dumbass even brought this up?

Never ever happening.

Just try going to a basketball game with a fraction of the people and see what US1 looks like. Also, US1 pretty much any other time except like 4 in the morning. Plus, nowhere to put the stadium, no place to park, hundreds of millions of dollars that municipalities would have to spend for road and infrastructure improvement (with no return for them). Also, the city of Coral Gables will not permit it. IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN. A physical, space, approval, and logistical impossibly. What dumbass even brought this up?

Original is spot on CG doesn't want any more traffic , it's residence pay (2) taxes city and local an don't want there city turned into a traffic mess , all sporting events have a curfew to get out period. In some ways I respect that residence spend big bucks to keep some kind of peace and quite so there city doesn't get trashed by defecating drunks trash all over the place even if it's a big game and leaving not caring the damage they leave behind.

We all saw it even at the old OB most people don't care they buy there ticket and feel obligated to dump , I've seen people urinate in bathroom sinks at old OB yelling **** HERE PLENTY OTHER URINALS OPEN.

NO CG WON'T ALLOW THAT STUFF IN AND AROUND STADIUMS , IF IT HAPPENS THEY'LL SHUT EVERYTHING DOWN , WOULD U ALLOW THAT IN YOUR YARD WERE U LIVE ???

GOCANES

The first one is our prized recruit. Its beautiful & will help sell the vision for where were headed. Our dorms now are beyond pitiful. I was ashamed the shape the dorms were in when i moved my nephew in. Hadnt realized its gotten so bad. Itll completely transform the campus and finally allow us to compete with anyone in the nation. Honestly other than the blind eye the ncaa turns on certain conferences & programs itll be the last chip that finally allows us an even playing field with virtually anyone in the country. Obviously id love for us to be able to .arch out an on campus stadium. But at a certain point any of us that know the surroundings need to be practical. Physically its just not possible. Can you imagine game day traffic on us1... fml id rather think not. Maybe eventually tropical will become possible but in the mean time we have a beautiful stadium which finally (thanks to all the construction) has a actual game day atmosphere to it. Lets embrace where were at & far more importantly where were headed.

Dee is so right on the dorms. To put in perspective I played at WMU in ‘05 and my best friend UM. My freshman dorm was better than his. Sad but true. This will def put us on the map in the superficial social world most top end recruits live in.

Advertisement
Never ever happening.

Because these are people who have either never been to the campus and don't understand the traffic or are suffering from a mental permanent mental lapse. It will "NEVER" happen.

Never ever happening.

agree. it is never happening. traffic for basketball games is horrific. also the School needed the dorm renovations to compete with other top schools for the best students. the glaring weakness at miami is the dated housing. with the renovation that changes and they can compete with other top schools that have new student housing/

Being an alum that resided on campus gives you a unique perspective that is much appreciated OC!

Advertisement
Screenshot_20180220-094106.jpg

UNCs new facility makes our IPF look tiny.

View attachment 58410

UNCs new facility makes our IPF look tiny.

What a stupid baseless comment.

This ****** doesn’t even know the comparative sizes to even make such a claim.

It’s like some porsters just don’t have higher brain functions, like they’ve been hit repeatedly on the head with blunt objects, causing significant brain trauma.

Advertisement
Back