If Manny is betting on himself...

Do you think rob can help with cbs

I honestly don't know enough about X's and O's or nuances of coaching to say, but my immediate impression is not really. That room is an absolute disaster.

If we replaced Jon Richt with Peyton Manning three years ago, would he help with the QB's?

Advertisement
Frustrated The Office GIF by myHQ
I’m disappointed by the moves made, but I’m mad that we couldn’t get booty gifs celebrating Baker’s firing 😔

DMoney, how about this line of thought: (1) Manny leaves the day-to-day functions of a DC to Baker (frees Manny to continue the heavy load of being a HC); (2) Baker prepares the strategy/game plan for the next game, but Manny makes the overall decision on what to use and what to nix, and is the only play caller on game day; (3) Manny has already told Baker that he's not cutting it, but until he (i.e. Baker) finds a new job he'll retain him to only manage the day-to-day workload for the Defense (and works up in the booth relaying input/thoughts back to Manny on the field); (4) Manny already has someone in mind for DC, but he won't hire him until Baker is out of here; and (5) Baker may quit, as a result of the demotion, and then Manny is free to do the hiring of the new DC. A lot of ifs, but it may be part of Manny's head game/plan. Just a thought! Your thoughts??
Sounds like Mularky to me. Wait till Baker gets job, how is he gonna get a job if he has one. Stop. Its his friends like we been saying all along. He didnt have any problems firing the whole Richt offense, then firing Enos after 1 solitary season...who he also hired. He didn't care if they got jobs. So cut the krap.

Advertisement
He’s betting on himself. We’d all do that if we had the opportunity to fix something. Let’s see what he does.

Totally disagree on this. It's outright bad management. If you are the head of a team/organization, and you have people who can't get the job done, the stupidest possible approach is to go "OK I'll just do it myself."

You either hire someone who can do it or you train someone up.

I've worked jobs where my team leaders make more than Manny and none of them would ever, ever step down to do someone else's work. Their time is too valuable and should be viewed that way.

He wouldn´t have waited for 2-3 weeks to bet on himself. If I had to guess, I believe he tried to get a good DC and he failed. That is a problem but the bigger problem is why did it fail. A few reasons.

A. He wanted to remain in control (partially or totally) of the D and no one in the candidate pool of DCs was going to allow that.

B. He couldn't find a qualified DC. Why? Either he doesn't have the pull, or they don't have confidence in him, or the conditions for taking the DC job were unacceptable (see A above). Another reason we couldn't find an acceptable DC could be that Manny wanted a certain scheme or certain personnel such as Baker, Patke and/or T-Rob and the candidate pool found that condition to be unacceptable.

None of the above is good. Manny's return to playcalling is not good. He just is not experienced enough as a head coach to master all the duties of the head coach AND call plays.

I hope I am wrong.

OR....

The real A is the BoT wasn't willing to put up the money, which is almost certainly the answer.

Manny probably had two options: spend more on better position coaches or more on a new DC. He chose the former.

Manny is a good enough play caller that the defense will look elite against lesser talent.

The constant theme of his scheme, whether it be he or Baker running the show, is equal or greater talent exposes the scheme’s philosophy.

In other words, this isn’t Golden betting on D’Nofrio, it’s Manny betting on Manny.

Advertisement
I honestly don't know enough about X's and O's or nuances of coaching to say, but my immediate impression is not really. That room is an absolute disaster.

If we replaced Jon Richt with Peyton Manning three years ago, would he help with the QB's?
Here’s what I believe the difference is, rob is highly qualified and known. If he feels he can’t make them better one would have to believe that he’s already talking to potential transfer candidate (I know not publicly)

...he can't keep the "Hire a DC" card in his pocket for next year. He has to get it done. Hopefully, that's been made clear to him.

I'm surprised by the move. I always viewed Manny as a political/media type. This is a decision with bad optics. We all remember the Coach D fiasco. The political move would have been to fire Baker, hire a DC and shift the blame. He's putting it on himself.

The good news is that Manny's defenses were strong. His last defense as DC finished 3rd in yards per play, 1st in third down defense and 1st in pass defense. His recent resume is objectively better than any DC available. The bad news is that Blake was running Manny's defense last year. Is Manny that much better as a playcaller, or are there deeper issues?

I like the Jess Simpson hire. He was the DL coach on the '18 defense, which finished 1st in P5 in sack rate and was our best in a decade. Everything I've heard internally is that he was a superstar. DVD is fine as long as TRob is the man. I suspect he is and that he's on board with this plan.

The LBs are going to be the key. That position doomed us last year with Manny's recruits. We didn't get a fresh set of eyes there. What is going to change?

All told, this is a pivotal year for Manny. Will he go down like Golden or save his own career? He just cranked the pressure to 11.
He's done. A HC that chooses friendship over making the difficult but 100% correct decision is the biggest tell of all. We are experts in diagnosing that weakness. Considering Manny was a member of one of those staffs and had a front row seat makes this worse than Golden and Richt combined.

Hey, at least when this fails it will probably cost Blake James his job as well.

Advertisement
Too bad Mandy's defense only worked with 95%-100% Goldenofrio recruits and has been figured out by any OC worth a ****...

Even his "great defenses" here never stopped an offense with a pulse...

And he has been here and fully in charge of the defensive recruiting and development since 2016, especially at LB...

Why does his defense look so much worse now that we have to rely on his recruiting and development?

Can't wait to move on from that little ***** and his girlfriend Beta James...

LET IT BURN!!!!!!

DVD is there to recruit. Jess and T-rob are good coaches but whos coaching LBs. im not happy especially after the names he was talking too
Well we either don't have any money like ppl say or we aren't an attractive job anymore. Its amateur hour from the top down. We don't pay top dollar, years late to facilities, we hire unproven coaches from HC to position coaches, umm what else am I missing?

It’s eerie similar to what CMR did. He thought he could turn it around if he called the plays. We all know how that worked out. It’s a big mistake IMO also that Manny didn’t hire a DC. There’s a lot of NFL head coaches and DC’s out of work looking to resurrect their careers. Or even if it’s for a few years before retirement in Sunny south FL that’s fine, too. It’s much easier to recruit when you have a big name. Instead parent’s are thinking who TF is Blake Baker. Oh yeah, the guy that is nobody and just got his play calling duties stripped away.

What proves Manny is having a hard time getting rid of his staff is keeping Rumph as a RECRUITING coordinator. The guy is the worst **** recruiter we’ve ever had. He makes Kul look like a stud on the trail.
The different between this and richt, we didn’t have a Simpson and t-rob on offense with him! DVD v Jon richt is night and day. Outside of baker I’m in wait and see mode with this! I think it could work.

Advertisement
Simpson & Trob are nice upgrades. I actually like the DVD promotion. I think between him & trob we will be very strong recruiting the back end. Manny bet on himself 100% & I don't agree with it but I do respect it. He has 1 year. Best of luck!

I completely agree with DMoney's analysis here but I caveat his assertion that this will now be a pivotal year. Short of a scandal or something like a 4 win season, I absolutely believe Manny will still be given 2 more years no matter what. A REAL program would actually let him do what he just did but it would end 3/4 of the way through this season with Lashlee being made interim if it didn't work.

I’d love to think it’s Manny “betting on himself” but more likely sign of $ saving compromise by our favorite small private school.
Manny: Blake I need $ for TRob + real D staff. Play time is over Bro.
Blake: Sorry, you got a real offensive staff last year and besides COVID has us broker than usual bro
Manny: Ok just give me TRob and I’ll come up with some gimmick

Baker should’ve been gone regardless if Manny was going to replace him, or even take over play calling duties. What sense does it make to keep someone on staph who you can’t depend on and have to do their job FOR them? It’s a complete waste of money and makes me hate that fvcknut Baker even more because he’s basically a freeloader.

Advertisement
Back