I think we steamroll VT by 20+

I've watched a little VT this year. VT reminds me of GT under Paul Johnson, albeit more sophisticated. They run the ball well, both w/ their backs and QB, and are able to constantly move the sticks. Hooker is not a great passer, but they don't ask him to make particularly challenging throws either. More dink and dunk, move the chains type stuff. This is the type of game that if we can jump ahead of them and force them to change their game plan, we can roll. However, if it's tight, that'll favor VT, their TOP, and their style of play. A cheap score for us would do wonders.

Historically, we've lost this game against this type of team/style so I'm not optimistic. A win would be great.

Advertisement
That's why I said my head is telling me not to believe it. But gut feeling is they figured something out in the 4th quarter last game. It was like the light bulb came on and they decided that they'd had enough of NC St. It seemed crazy for Diaz to pass on a TD for a FG, but he knew the D would hold and it did. So the question is whether the D goes back to playing like it for most of the season or like they did in the 4th quarter. Just a hunch that it is going to be the latter.
I heard that Diaz took over D play calling in the 4th quarter.

id think he would do the same in this game as well if needed, and probably earlier

Keep cherrypicking numbers out of context because that's what you do, but leave out the parts where they closed that gap at times. The game was 27-20 midway through the 3rd quarter. If you want to sit here and claim the UL game was a blowout, that's your thing, and no one will be surprised. Anyone who watched that game knows UL moved the ball at will on us and was in the game until some point in the 4th.

You literally just cherry picked a random moment in the middle of third quarter man. Im gave totals at the end of the half and third quarters. Which is more objective?

That game was never in doubt for a second.

I heard that Diaz took over D play calling in the 4th quarter.

id think he would do the same in this game as well if needed, and probably earlier

Was that just a rumor started here or did you hear that from somewhere else?

A lot of reasons to be concerned here:

1) point spread
2) VT #2 rated OL by PFF. ~88 grade with an NFL LT. Can Phillips show a pass rush plan and work his hands like a vet? Can the LBs diagnose and maintain gap integrity? I have doubts...
3) Fuente has outschemed Baker/Diaz for years
4) Hooker gave the D fits last year and he's much improved as a pocket passer. Comp% up over 5pts as he's taking the easy underneath timing throws. We all know Baker loves playing soft zone and giving up those free yards
5) road game

If Miami is gonna win it may take another heroic effort from King and the WRs. Also VT is 98th in rush D giving up 5.16ypc. Maybe they show a conventional gameplan instead of the aggressive boxes and press Miami has grown accustomed to, and the run game/tempo can get going.

Advertisement
This thread is becoming very depressing. Unreal, why in the **** are we acting like this. Good KARMA GOES A LONG WAY.

1) point spread
2) VT #2 rated OL by PFF. ~88 grade with an NFL LT. Can Phillips show a pass rush plan and work his hands like a vet? Can the LBs diagnose and maintain gap integrity? I have doubts...
4) Hooker gave the D fits last year and he's much improved as a pocket passer. Comp% up over 5pts as he's taking the easy underneath timing throws. We all know Baker loves playing soft zone and giving up those free yards
5) road game

If Miami is gonna win it may take another heroic effort from King and the WRs. Also VT is 98th in rush D giving up 5.16ypc. Maybe they show a conventional gameplan instead of the aggressive boxes and press Miami has grown accustomed to, and the run game/tempo can get going.

Reasons not to be concerned:

1. Point spread of -2.5 means Vegas actually thinks Miami would be favored on a neutral field
3. "Outschemed for years?" You mean one year? Because I don't remember Baker being on the staff before 2019. And in both 2017 and 2018 Miami crushed VT. Do you have VT confused with another team?
5. VT just lost to Liberty University (an independent team that is basically a G5) at home.
6. Virginia Tech rush defense SUCKS. Liberty ran for 249 yards. Their QB went over 100. VT's pass defense is among the worst in the ACC.

Advertisement
Two reasons why:

1) Kings performance last Friday is the type that rallies the whole team. That night, you saw our team come from behind on the road on the backs of the offense and I feel like you will now see the offense take it to the next level for the remaining few games

2) Our defense has been getting criticized all year but Friday was the loudest - you just know they will come out with a point to prove and shut everyone up. I wouldn’t even be surprised if Manny calls the plays for a half.

Miami rolls and it won’t be close. We’re not losing to a QB named Hooker - our defense will have a threesome with the Hooker - Phillips and Roche on either side.

I like your thinking. We about to kick the $#!* out of VaTech. King going to go all out Heisman on they ***. Canes 56 VaTech 21. ***c the Canes haters eiether you with us or you against us.

Reasons not to be concerned:

1. Point spread of -2.5 means Vegas actually thinks Miami would be favored on a neutral field
3. "Outschemed for years?" You mean one year? Because I don't remember Baker being on the staff before 2019. And in both 2017 and 2018 Miami crushed VT. Do you have VT confused with another team?
5. VT just lost to Liberty University (an independent team that is basically a G5) at home.
6. Virginia Tech rush defense SUCKS. Liberty ran for 249 yards. Their QB went over 100. VT's pass defense is among the worst in the ACC.
You left out 2016 so I guess we're both wrong and overstated.

Liberty is undefeated, has Malik Willis who's Lamar Jackson lite and Freeze who's a top HC candidate. BYU and Cincy are also undefeated G5 teams - would you feel good about facing them?

I mentioned the VT run D and acknowledged that Miami can outscore much like last week.

Advertisement
You literally just cherry picked a random moment in the middle of third quarter man. Im gave totals at the end of the half and third quarters. Which is more objective?

That game was never in doubt for a second.
I didn't cherrypick ****. I gave you the actual score in the middle of the 3rd quarter, which supports that the UL game wasn't a blowout. I did that in response to your disingenuous choice of margins without acknowledging that the game was 27-20 in the middle of the 3rd quarter.

That's not a blowout, especially when you give up 500 yards to your opponent. You don't get to claim a blowout when you give up 500 yards. You guys need to learn sports a little bit better and the terminology used in sports. We won that game by a comfortable margin in the end because we got a couple

1) point spread
5) road game

I see it the same way. If we win, I'd expect it to be on King's shoulders. These guys underestimate just how dramatic the edge is to Fuente over Baker. He should make mincemeat of our D if both teams play like they've played this year.

Advertisement

Liberty is undefeated, has Malik Willis who's Lamar Jackson lite and Freeze who's a top HC candidate. BYU and Cincy are also undefeated G5 teams - would you feel good about facing them?

I mentioned the VT run D and acknowledged that Miami can outscore much like last week.
This is where just looking at stats gets you in trouble. Malik Willis is a super dynamic runner and a pretty good passer. He's a much more sudden runner than King. It takes Willis no time to get from 0 to 60. King's a better passer, and I'll take him as a leader over anyone. But Willis is unbelievable running the ball, and that's the big reason Vag Tech couldn't stop them.

No, you said Fuente has outschemed Diaz/Baker for years.

2016: 37-16 VT
2017: 28-10 Miami
2018: 38-14 Miami
2019: 42-35 VT

I said Miami crushed VT in 2017 and 2018. My statement is true. Your statement is false. Not the same.

No, you said Fuente has outschemed Diaz/Baker for years.

2016: 37-16 VT
2017: 28-10 Miami
2018: 38-14 Miami
2019: 42-35 VT

I said Miami crushed VT in 2017 and 2018. My statement is true. Your statement is false. Not the same.
if I looks at the scores, what that tells me is Manny needs to call the defense on Saturday. He’s demonstrated the ability to stop Fuentes offense.

I just wonder how many times we see a throwback to the TE. Fooled the defense time and time again against VT last year and still hasn't been stopped this season.

Advertisement
Back