I have 100% confidence in our run D this season

Advertisement
Our run defense by stats was deceptive, with the exception of the notre shame game, i cant recall us shutting down any teams running game of significance. Fsu, wisconsin (i know they were holding w-zebra's looking the other way), i remember pitt doing damage, and that's what helped Unc keep the game close, they were doing work in the run game. I wasnt impressed with our run defense under coach kool while he was here, that's why when people kept hyping him up as the best d-line coach in college football, i didnt agree with that, he is a real good one tho.

When i judge college football run defense, i base it off of opponents faced, not end of the year stat lines. End of the year stats in college football, to many cupcake games across the board, best to go game by game in my opinion.

This cant be the Cal from Eye of the hurricane with Mary and them is it?

I agree. As much as i like Kul and his development of Dlineman. It seems like he teaches all of his Dtackles like attacking 3 techs.

How many stout nose tackles or 1 techs has he developed? unsure

Yards per game is a bad stat. Yards per play is significantly more reliable.
No stat is inherently good or bad. It's what people do with them that determines that. Stats have to be taken in relation to other stats, and within the context of the results of the game.

Saying that yards per game doesn't matter, but yards per play does...matters to what?

Stats are a useful tool when taken together to try to understand how and why a certain result was achieved. They can be misleading when one stat or another is cherry picked and used to come to a conclusion that is at odds with the results.

We're bad on third down conversions, both offensively and defensively, but for the sake of staying on topic, I'll focus on defense.

We're near the bottom in 3rd down conversion rate defensively. Why?
We're 57th in passing defense. Why?

Surprisingly, both are because we are horrible defending the run on 1st down. Neither stat is directly related to running on 1st down. The stat most directly relevant to the poor 3rd down conversion rate is average distance to gain on 3rd down. There we averaged 3 yards.

But 3rd and 3 doesn't just happen, to the most directly related stat is useless by itself when trying to gain a better understanding of why we suck on 3rd downs or why our pass defense was only average.

We gave up 3.5 yards per carry rushing the football. This stat is the linchpin that holds it all together. When you give up 3.5 yards rushing on 1st down consistently--consistency is key or per play averages are useless; you MUST control for big gains that skew averages when determining consistency--you end up in a lot of 2nd and 6 or less. As I discussed earlier, this is a D&D that favors the offense heavily because the entire playbook is open, but also, because we just gained our 3.5 running the ball, and have been doing so consistently, even if we go 3 wide/spread, the defense MUST defend against another run. They simply cannot risk another 3.5 yards on the ground that puts them in another 3rd and 2 or 3.

Most often last season, our defense met this challenge by staying in base, having the SAM cover the slot in a short zone. This look is ripe to be picked apart by short passes against the mismatched defender, but what are you going to do? Put Robert Knowels out there or some other inexperienced DB and risk giving up a game breaker, or are you going to hope McCloud can maintain his zone long enough for the D-line to disrupt the QB, knowing that at worst, if McCloud is beaten, he's almost a lock to make a quick tackle?

So, in the above scenario, one we faced a bunch last season, we might only be giving up 3.5 per rush, but if that 3.5 is allowing the opposing offense to stay in a favorable D&D and keep us in base to defend the run, we're totally exposed to be nickel and dimed in the passing game on 2nd down, and even if the offense runs instead of passes on 2nd, because they got 3 or 4 on 1st, they only need 2 or 3 on 2nd to put us in that same situation of having to defend both the run and pass on 3rd.

So, if everyone is still with me...we were bad on 3rd down and bad defending the pass because we were bad defending the run on 1st down. It is for this reason that our defensive coaches have placed a premium on only putting guys on the field who can tackle, and why the philosophy of all good defenses is to first stop the run.

Stats in relation to each other, within the context of the results of the game. An offense with 3.5 ypc, but stays in manageable 3rd and 3's, is running the ball consistently and is thus preferable to one that averages 5 ypc, but has an average 3rd down distance to gain of 7. That is the hallmark of an inconsistent running game.

I’m not going to go through all the post, but I’ll just comment on what I’ve seen thus far; 3.5 ypc is deplorable!!! If a O rushes twice and get 3.5 each time, that puts them in 3rd and 3 and ahead of the chains. That’s a dreaded position for a def to be in. Literally u have to be prepared for any and everything. The O clearly has the advantage on a 3rd and 3.

If we did allow 3.5 ypc, that’s a clear sign why we sucked on 3rd downs on def.

We gotta tighten up

Last edited:
I’m not going to go through all the post, but I’ll just comment on what I’ve seen thus far; 3.5 ypc is deplorable!!! If a O rushes twice and get 3.5 each time, that puts them in 3rd and 3 and ahead of the chains. That’s a dreaded position for a def to be in. Literally u have to be prepared for any and everything. The O clearly has the advantage on a 3rd and 3.

If we did allow 3.5 ypc, that’s a clear sign why we sucked on 3rd downs on def.

We gotta tighten up

Meant to hit the edit button, but f it, I’ll reply to my own post. Taking in consideration that we were one of the leaders in TFL, that 3.5 ypc is even more glaring. That means for every 2 yard loss, we gave up about 6-7 ypc. That’s not good.

Advertisement
I just hope Manny improves, because on 3rd dozens last year, it was plain as Day we were blitzing and the offense either knows where the soft spot is or checks into a better play.

It has been chronicled in other threads on this board, Manny is like an MLB pitcher that is in love with his fast ball, but in reality would be better off mixing in more change ups, which would make the fastball even more deadly.

Maybe it was to coverup the blitzing front 7, but there was way too many times our DBs were playing off in obvious short down and distance situations under Manny
Clemson kicked our ***, but they had like 35 runs for like 90 yards, I would bet it was likey their worst running game all season. Our run D absolutely dominated their run game vs the best team in the ACC. But I'm sure you guys will have an excuse why even though it will be BS. Meanwhile our passing D gave up 80% completion rate to Bryant. Do you mofos even watch the games???

Canezum5, yeah that's me man. End of year run stats/yards per play stats are not good guages in college football, in the pro's its different cause you going against another pro team every week. In college, its the individual games you look at cause when you got BETHUNE COOKMAN, the citadel, William & Mary on your schedule, that normally helps out all of your stats. If you holding the majority of the D-1 teams on your schedule to under 3 yards a carry, now we getting somewhere.

Advertisement
Canezum5, yeah that's me man. End of year run stats/yards per play stats are not good guages in college football, in the pro's its different cause you going against another pro team every week. In college, its the individual games you look at cause when you got BETHUNE COOKMAN, the citadel, William & Mary on your schedule, that normally helps out all of your stats. If you holding the majority of the D-1 teams on your schedule to under 3 yards a carry, now we getting somewhere.
We held them to 3.5, seven other teams, who all played cream puffs as well were better. Seven, in the entire nation my man. How can you fellers not grasp this?

Tell me how may teams held their opponents under 3 yards per carry, it may surprise you

You guys talk stats but don't compare ours to all other teams, it's amazing to me how short sighted you are with our own team

Last edited:

I agree big Dawg.

You were always one of my fave posters on the eye. YOu know Paul and Mary hated yo *** tho. lol. Too pro-black.

I met pretty much all of them at games over the years. Sucks, you were the only poster i think i didnt meet.

You still in the 305?

Glad you found this sight. Although, you gonna get negged too oblivion here too.

You do know your football tho.

Imma tell Xavier that i talked to you. He will definitely want to know your opinion on Wilder vs Joshua.

Clemson kicked our ***, but they had like 35 runs for like 90 yards, I would bet it was likey their worst running game all season. Our run D absolutely dominated their run game vs the best team in the ACC. But I'm sure you guys will have an excuse why even though it will be BS. Meanwhile our passing D gave up 80% completion rate to Bryant. Do you mofos even watch the games???
I’m talking about the whole season you clown, but if you want to reference a specific game to prove my points ...... Wisconsin.... suck it

Again, that was my critique. Manny did not adjust his defense for the personnel he had on hand. Trust me. It's going to look a lot better when an FCS grad transfer and a JUCO aren't among the top 4 options at corner.
I wasn’t disagreeing with your opinion, I’m just saying we see improvement from every aspect including coaching and play calling. I’m actually looking forward to seeing our young DB talent get on the field this year

Advertisement
This cant be the Cal from Eye of the hurricane with Mary and them is it?

I agree. As much as i like Kul and his development of Dlineman. It seems like he teaches all of his Dtackles like attacking 3 techs.

How many stout nose tackles or 1 techs has he developed? unsure

Quite a few at Mizzou! Coach Kul's interior linemen played very well. Saw what you want about his recruiting prowess, he was able to turn lumps of coals into diamonds both edge rushers and DT's.

Go Canes

I’m talking about the whole season you clown, but if you want to reference a specific game to prove my points ...... Wisconsin.... suck it
I quoted the wrong guy, that was meant for the guy who said he couldn't recall a single game we shut down a teams run game. My bad. I agree Diaz was very predictable in his defendive play calls.

Lol @ suck it

I've said this before...and it's just my opinion...

But I don't believe we'll ever be an elite pass defense under Diaz. And I have my reasons.

1. Intermediate defenders staring at the quarterback and not getting proper depth in their drops.

2. Leaving WR's completely "uncovered" pre-snap allowing quick/easy throws. It's why we get dinked-and-dunked to death sometimes.

3. Not placing an emphasis on protecting the middle part of the field, which is where all of the easy throws are. Way too many times have I seen us allow inside routes run freely, whether in zone or man. In zone we don't "apex" and/or collision wide receivers and in man we get beat across our face too often.

I know we're adding more talent to the defensive backfield but even with the players we had last season there's no excuse for allowing QB's to start games 16/16 passing or having such a poor 3rd down defense.

I'm sure nobody here thinks that the 2010 defense had more talent yet they were significantly better against the pass. (one of the best in the country at the time)
I can definitely see why Diaz got shredded in a pass-happy conference

Advertisement
Quite a few at Mizzou! Coach Kul's interior linemen played very well. Saw what you want about his recruiting prowess, he was able to turn lumps of coals into diamonds both edge rushers and DT's.

Go Canes
quite a few? dont play me for a fool man. list them.

dont list any 3 techs. tell me the nose and 1 techs hes developed.

I'm not worried about where we rank in the nation run defense wise, i look at certain games. We were not playing run defense at an elite level, a solid level, but not elite. I forgot about the syracuse game to, they ran on us pretty decent as well. Not saying you dont, but alot of us om here know what an elite UM run defense is, we not there. Whatever our national ranking is, again means nothing, because you have to look at teams schedules ranked ahead and behind us and similar or the same competition, very important when analyzing the college ranks.

Fsu avg 4.9yrds a carry against us
Unc avg 3.8yrds a carry on us
Syracuse avg 5.4yrds a carry on us
Pitt avg 4.2yrds a carry on us
Wisconsin as a team avg 3.45 on us but taylor the freshman avg 5.0yrds a carry out of 42attempts taylor had 26 of em
And dont look now, BETHUNE COOKMAN avg 4yrds a carry against us
Duke avg 3.9yrds
Virginia, take away the 5 sacks we had on benkert for -25 yrds their runningbacks avg 3.8yrds per carry
Georgia tech, i didnt want to put the here, but they did avg 4.2 yrds a carry on us

While i see where you coming from, these actual game stats tell a better story!

Canezum5, yeah man, i didnt know people's names except they screen names man, they thought they were running some type of plantation forum, i know undercover rednecks when i see em, and sometimes people dont know they got a problem man. Insanez1 a.k.a. Canez1 started showing his true colors once the moron regime got there, dont get me wrong i didnt have a problem with em personally, they just didnt want to hear e Truth, he bash shannon all day long but barely said anything about the stupid moron regime, in fact he backed there methods, he didnt want to go against his I-talian bretheren, i smoked em out. He started getting to big for his britches when he started making comments like #jacory harris and the restof the poke-n-bean project crew" but in the mean time his ****** **** jersey shore pennstphile bretheren were the gayest coaches i ever seen, always starting a conversation off with how much weight a player has gained and saying so & so looks good. Got becareful when guys/coaches come from a place called/termed "Happy Valley" Cant Truss it, NO NO NO NO!

Advertisement
Back