I have 100% confidence in our run D this season

Gooner#44

Recruit
Banned
but I'm a bit worried about our pass D. Last year our yards per game was OK (like 60th I think) but there were some games we got lit up on the back end for yards and TDs. Let's hope some of the new guys step up and clean this up.

Advertisement
but I'm a worried about our pass D. Last year our yards per game was OK (like 60th I think) but there were some games we got lit up on the back end for yards and TDs. Let's hope some of the new guys step up and clean this up.
Last year, for a solid portion, we only had 2 DBs with experience in the defensive scheme, and the physicality to both cover and tackle.

When you're faced with the decision between putting someone out there who is both a coverage liability, and suspect tackler, your only option is to stay in your base and have the SAM trying to cover the slot in space. You know he's going to get beat in coverage over the middle, but he'll at least tackle the guy when he catches it.

This season, we have an infusion of talent coming in at DB, and we have enough players with the experience and ability to allow us to match personnel with the spread offenses we'll face and attack it with Nickel and 4-2-5.

We'll be fine. Manny's defense won't look near as risky once we have capable guys covering the back end, and this will have the added benefit of allowing our rush more time to get to the QB.

I expect the D to really make the transition from good to one of the league's best this season.

If you're worried about our pass D with 3 seniors back there we're ****ed.

They were all back there last year as well when we were smoked several games for 4 passing TDs (Wisky/UVA) or getting lit up by Bryant going 26 for 29 or whatever it was

Advertisement
They were all back there last year as well when we were smoked several games for 4 passing TDs (Wisky/UVA) or getting lit up by Bryant going 26 for 29 or whatever it was

They were all back there and seniors last year? The expectation should be that they have improved across the board as under to upperclassmen typically do... If they have not, then sure, concern is valid.

They were all back there and seniors last year? The expectation should be that they have improved across the board as under to upperclassmen typically do... If they have not, then sure, concern is valid.

No, they were Juniors (upperclassmen btw, lol), obviously, and they were back there with a Senior and a talented guy with a bad neck

Hope they step, just have concerns right now

I'm worried about our run defense...I'll stop once we start giving up less than 120 yards a game.

I don't see what changed (or what will change) from last year as far as the defensive scheme goes.

Gap integrity is not our strong suit. If you want to have a disruptive defensive line, then you are going to sacrifice gap integrity, and that is going to lead to chunk yardage plays - both run and pass, but I am referring more so to run. That's one of the reasons JJ led the team in tackles. When a big OL comes unblocked at our MLB, most times our guy isn't going to be able to make that tackle and its gonna fall to the safetys to clean it up.

If anything, I think it can be fixed on the back end. More pre-snap confusion, better personnel groupings on 3rd down, picking our spots to be aggressive and not 100% relying on it, maybe covering the slot receiver once in a while lol.. all these things are fixable. However, I think we will remain susceptible to accurate QBs, especially those that can throw on the run and those that can make the proper pre-snap read and get the ball out quickly.

I think Manny is who Manny is. Many of us have been in agreement that we would rather err on the side of aggression. I know I would.

Advertisement
It will help if the zebras call at least one egregious holding call out of every 3. It looked like they glued their flags to their pants in the Wisconsin game.

I don't see what changed (or what will change) from last year as far as the defensive scheme goes.

Gap integrity is not our strong suit. If you want to have a disruptive defensive line, then you are going to sacrifice gap integrity, and that is going to lead to chunk yardage plays - both run and pass, but I am referring more so to run. That's one of the reasons JJ led the team in tackles. When a big OL comes unblocked at our MLB, most times our guy isn't going to be able to make that tackle and its gonna fall to the safetys to clean it up.

If anything, I think it can be fixed on the back end. More pre-snap confusion, better personnel groupings on 3rd down, picking our spots to be aggressive and not 100% relying on it, maybe covering the slot receiver once in a while lol.. all these things are fixable. However, I think we will remain susceptible to accurate QBs, especially those that can throw on the run and those that can make the proper pre-snap read and get the ball out quickly.

I think Manny is who Manny is. Many of us have been in agreement that we would rather err on the side of aggression. I know I would.
Correct. It was not James Blackmon last year, but Jaquez Patrick's fat *** gashing us for multiple runs over 30 yards.

I'm worried about our run defense...I'll stop once we start giving up less than 120 yards a game.
We gave up 3.5 yards a carry, our run D was far better than our pass D. Statistically it was like 30 spots better than our pass D. Not sure your worry there.

Last edited:
Advertisement

I have a stroke everytime we leave the slot guy basically uncovered

You picked out that 3.5 bc it suits you.

We gave up 145 yards rushing per game. That's not very good. it's average.
I picked it becaue its more important my man, yards per carry far more important than yards per game. The 4 TD passes allowed games scare the **** outta me, or games where the oppoosing QB goes for 85 % completion rate, guess you are OK with them?

Last edited:
Advertisement
yards per carry far more important than yards per game. The 4 TD passes allowed games scare the **** outta me, guess you are OK with them?

No it's not...just to you. We were 105 yards away from giving up 2,000 rushing on the season. Keep carrying that YPC flag though

I'm not worried about pass defense this year because we have 3 seniors back there man.

No it's not...just to you. We were 105 yards away from giving up 2,000 rushing on the season. Keep carrying that YPC flag though

I'm not worried about pass defense this year because we have 3 seniors back there man.
Of course it is, if you think a D that gives up 140 yards on 40 carries isn't solid against the run you don't get football. Yet you are OK with a secondary that gave up 20 TD passes. Odd....

Of course it is, if you think a D that gives up 140 yards on 35 carries isn't solid against the run you don't get football. Yet you are OK with a secondary that gave up 20 TD passes. Odd....

You think 4 ypc is great? LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!

Go away

Advertisement
Back