I have 100% confidence in our run D this season

Advertisement
If you want more, I will gladly provide it

Red Zone Defense:

9 rushing TDs allowed - 16th in the nation

14 passing TDs allowed - 106th in the nation

All the #s prove our run D was a decent amount better than our pass D last season. I rest my case.

Would you rather be passing from 3rd and 3 or 3rd and 7? Which do you suppose has the greater probability for success?

I would run on 3rd and 3 most times, especially on my opponents side of the field, depending on the coverage. Our coverage against Clemson? I would just throw it, easy gainers against that D alignment

Run D was generally solid last year. Miami finished tied for 8th nationally with 3.5 yards per carry allowed.

Anybody says 3.5 ypc is bad run defense knows absolutely nothing about football. If your offense only averaged 3.5 yards per carry, you'd have one of the worst rushing offenses in college football.

3.5 yards a carry = a first down after three carries...that should worry the **** out of you.

You know better than this, Z. An offense averaging 3.5 ypc isn't guaranteed 3.5 yards every time they run the ball. If that was the case, you could average 2.5 ypc, go for it on every 4th down and be unstoppable on offense.

Advertisement
Run D was generally solid last year. Miami finished tied for 8th nationally with 3.5 yards per carry allowed.

Anybody says 3.5 ypc is bad run defense knows absolutely nothing about football. If your offense only averaged 3.5 yards per carry, you'd have one of the worst rushing offenses in college football.

You know better than this, Z. An offense averaging 3.5 ypc isn't guaranteed 3.5 yards every time they run the ball. If that was the case, you could average 2.5 ypc, go for it on every 4th down and be unstoppable on offense.
At least one guy here has some concept of defensive football, we were solid against the run, need to tighten the Pass D up a little.

If you want more, I will gladly provide it

Red Zone Defense:

9 rushing TDs allowed - 16th in the nation

14 passing TDs allowed - 106th in the nation
What's the point of throwing out stats that you don't understand.

If you're an offense, and you're gaining 3.5 yards on each play, that's what is referred to as staying ahead of the sticks. If you can do that running the ball, you're staying ahead of the sticks while at the same time minimizing the probability of turning the ball over.

2nd and 6 and 3rd and 3 are all down and distances that favor the offense because you can run any play in the book from them. It's natural to see greater success passing the ball when the defense has to account for an at least 50% probability that you might run the ball.

What's the point of throwing out stats that you don't understand.

If you're an offense, and you're gaining 3.5 yards on each play, that's what is referred to as staying ahead of the sticks. If you can do that running the ball, you're staying ahead of the sticks while at the lame time minimizing the probability of turning the ball over.

2nd and 6 and 3rd and 3 are all down and distances that favor the offense because you can run any play in the book from them. It's natural to see greater success passing the ball when the defense has to account for an at least 50% probability that you might run the ball.

We were 8th IN THE ENTIRE NATION at stopping the run when teams ran!!! You can't absorb that fact, can you???????? Only 7 teams were better, I don't understand how you can't comprehend that, I really don't

So if we were "behind the sticks" (LMAO) @ 3.5 per carry allowed, then what was every other team in the nation that gave up more yards per rush on average?

/maybe you are trying to troll me, and just doing a bad job?

Last edited:
Also it's because our offense couldn't stay on the field. When that happens, you give other team more plays and time of possession.
No that happens when the defense can’t get off the field. Quit blaming the offense for the defense giving up 3rd downs. Yeah the offense need to convert more 3rd downs but in that same token the defense need to get off the field more frequently when the opportunity presents itself regardless what the offense is doing...

Advertisement
technique on the Dlineis the difference. Simpson teaches different than Kul. He is attacking but under better control. which in turn keeps our backers from wash cycles and will have an impact on our gap integrity.

schematics can stay the same; but technique can make it worse or better

How do you know what techniques Simpson teaches

Last year, for a solid portion, we only had 2 DBs with experience in the defensive scheme, and the physicality to both cover and tackle.

When you're faced with the decision between putting someone out there who is both a coverage liability, and suspect tackler, your only option is to stay in your base and have the SAM trying to cover the slot in space. You know he's going to get beat in coverage over the middle, but he'll at least tackle the guy when he catches it.

This season, we have an infusion of talent coming in at DB, and we have enough players with the experience and ability to allow us to match personnel with the spread offenses we'll face and attack it with Nickel and 4-2-5.

We'll be fine. Manny's defense won't look near as risky once we have capable guys covering the back end, and this will have the added benefit of allowing our rush more time to get to the QB.

I expect the D to really make the transition from good to one of the league's best this season.

Can someone get this man a job somewhere in football? Well explained.

We were 8th IN THE ENTIRE NATION at stopping the run when teams ran!!! You can't absorb that fact, can you????????

So if we were "behind the sticks" (LMAO) @ 3.5 per carry allowed, then what was every other team in the nation?
There's a difference between averages and consistency. We had a ton of TFLs that brought down averages, so it's a stat that can be misleading taken by itself.

When the average begins to define the consistency, it translates in other areas. One of the easiest ways to determine the rush efficiency of opposing offenses is average distance to gain on 3rd down, and subsequently, 3rd down conversion rate. Offenses that average 3rd and 3 or less, have one thing in common. They run the football consistently.

Almost without fail, unless we got a TFL, sack, offensive penalty, or TO, teams were able to sustain long drives.

It's not just stats. It's stats in relation to each other within the context of the results they produced. We may have been 8th in rush yards per carry, but we were 43rd in rush yards per game. Take that and pair it with the average distance to gain on 3rd downs, and that is a team that other teams have been able to run on with a moderate to good level of consistency.

I have had this same convo in reverse with @brock. He claims we had a decent run game last season based on ypc average. We had a respectable rush yards per carry of 5.05 and that had us ranked somewhere around 24th. But our average was severely inflated due to the fact that we broke so many big runs. We were an all or nothing rushing team. That can make a nice average, but it doesn't translate to consistency. Take away all of our runs over 15 yards, and we're a 2 ypc team.

Now obviously brock is about to **** his pants to scream, "BUT YOU CAN'T TAKE AWAY THOSE RUNS! THEY HAPPENED!

To that I say, I can and I just did. Because I am not trying to illustrate total rushing yards, but establish rushing consistency (or lack there of in our case). We either gained 2 yards or less or 15+. And because of this inconsistency, we found ourselves averaging 7 yards to gain on third down...about 123rd in 3rd down conversion rate, and 79th in rushing yards per game.

Stats. In relation to each other. Within the context of the results of the game.

When you find yourself arguing a statistic that would lead to a different conclusion than the one that actually occurred, you're doing something wrong.

Not one single stat, NOT ONE, nor my eyes tell me last seasons Pass D was as good as our run D

you know why?

BECAUSE IT WASN'T!!!!!!

Advertisement
There's a difference between averages and consistency. We had a ton of TFLs that brought down averages, so it's a stat that can be misleading taken by itself.

When the average begins to define the consistency, it translates in other areas. One of the easiest ways to determine the rush efficiency of opposing offenses is average distance to gain on 3rd down, and subsequently, 3rd down conversion rate. Offenses that average 3rd and 3 or less, have one thing in common. They run the football consistently.

Almost without fail, unless we got a TFL, sack, offensive penalty, or TO, teams were able to sustain long drives.

It's not just stats. It's stats in relation to each other within the context of the results they produced. We may have been 8th in rush yards per carry, but we were 43rd in rush yards per game. Take that and pair it with the average distance to gain on 3rd downs, and that is a team that other teams have been able to run on with a moderate to good level of consistency.

I have had this same convo in reverse with @brock. He claims we had a decent run game last season based on ypc average. We had a respectable rush yards per carry of 5.05 and that had us ranked somewhere around 24th. But our average was severely inflated due to the fact that we broke so many big runs. We were an all or nothing rushing team. That can make a nice average, but it doesn't translate to consistency. Take away all of our runs over 15 yards, and we're a 2 ypc team.

Now obviously brock is about to **** his pants to scream, "BUT YOU CAN'T TAKE AWAY THOSE RUNS! THEY HAPPENED!

To that I say, I can and I just did. Because I am not trying to illustrate total rushing yards, but establish rushing consistency (or lack there of in our case). We either gained 2 yards or less or 15+. And because of this inconsistency, we found ourselves averaging 7 yards to gain on third down...about 123rd in 3rd down conversion rate, and 79th in rushing yards per game.

Stats. In relation to each other. Within the context of the results of the game.

When you find yourself arguing a statistic that would lead to a different conclusion than the one that actually occurred, you're doing something wrong.

My man, that is EXACTLY what you are doing here, LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Look at you, "yeah sure we were 8th in yards per rush, but, but, but we were 43rd in total rush yards, blah, blah" yet the FACT is we were 56th in passing yards allowed and 66th in TD passes allowed. STOP IT, just stop. You lose.

Can someone get this man a job somewhere in football? Well explained.
Naw man...I'm just a fan. There are much better X's and O's guys here that I've picked up so much from, even the ones I often disagree with...I could never teach the game they way they've been able to.

We were 8th IN THE ENTIRE NATION at stopping the run when teams ran!!! You can't absorb that fact, can you???????? Only 7 teams were better, I don't understand how you can't comprehend that, I really don't

So if we were "behind the sticks" (LMAO) @ 3.5 per carry allowed, then what was every other team in the nation that gave up more yards per rush on average?

/maybe you are trying to troll me, and just doing a bad job?

8th in the nation?

LMFAOOOOOOOOO

Advertisement

Well said...thank you!

My man, that is EXACTLY what you are doing here, LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Every person who knows anything about football knows that an offense must first establish the run in order to pass effectively...unless you're up against one of those swiss cheese Pac12 or Big12 teams who just don't even bother to play defense.

The fact that teams were effective passing on us is more an indicator of their effectiveness running the ball than yps stats.

Every person who knows anything about football knows that an offense must first establish the run in order to pass effectively...unless you're up against one of those swiss cheese Pac12 or Big12 teams who just don't even bother to play defense.

The fact that teams were effective passing on us is more an indicator of their effectiveness running the ball than yps stats.
and we were the 8TH BEST TEAM IN THE NATION AT STOPPING THE RUN WHEN THEY RAN THE BALL!!!! Holy **** this is not sinking for you.

Did Clemson beat us running or passing? Wisconsin, running or passing?

/ok, you are trolling, it's obvious

If you're worried about our pass D with 3 seniors back there we're ****ed.
Might be 4 seniors. Rumph says Bandy is ahead of Dean, but he made it clear that he wants Dean to challenge for the top spot because he has all the NFL measurables. Hope Dean can put it together because he's long and fast. He needs to play up to his physical traits.

Advertisement
Back