I have 100% confidence in our run D this season

Of course it is, if you think a D that gives up 140 yards on 40 carries isn't solid against the run you don't get football. Yet you are OK with a secondary that gave up 20 TD passes. Odd....

Oh he edited after he couldn't add.

3.5 ypc multipled by three downs is what? It's called a first down. Learn football.

LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!

Advertisement
I mean only and I mean ONLY on this board will someone try to make 3.5 ypc sound good....LOLOLOL

that 3.5 ypc contributed to why our 3rd down defense was 75th in the country.

Advertisement
I mean only and I mean ONLY on this board will someone try to make 3.5 ypc sound good....LOLOLOL

It is good, statistically our run d was far better than out passing D slick, you need a nap and a diaper change, this L is getting you stinky

We gave up 3.5 yards a carry, our run D was far better than our pass D. Statistically it was like 30 spits better than. Our pass D. Not sure your worry there.
3.5 yards a carry = a first down after three carries...that should worry the **** out of you.

Advertisement
Diaz tends to get “smartest man in the room syndrome” on 3rd downs with some of these zone blitzes that leave huge chunks of the field uncovered.

Last edited:
3.5 yards a carry = a first down after three carries...that should worry the **** out of you.
LMAO, our run D as ranked 43rd nationally, and even better on yards per carry (3.5), gave up 10 rushing TDs. Yet you guys worry about that and not a pass D that was ranked 56th in yards per game, and 66th in passing TDs and gave up 20 passing TDs.

holy **** we got some dense mofos on here...….. most teams wish they only gave up 3.5 per carry

Last edited:
I don't see what changed (or what will change) from last year as far as the defensive scheme goes.

Gap integrity is not our strong suit. If you want to have a disruptive defensive line, then you are going to sacrifice gap integrity, and that is going to lead to chunk yardage plays - both run and pass, but I am referring more so to run. That's one of the reasons JJ led the team in tackles. When a big OL comes unblocked at our MLB, most times our guy isn't going to be able to make that tackle and its gonna fall to the safetys to clean it up.

If anything, I think it can be fixed on the back end. More pre-snap confusion, better personnel groupings on 3rd down, picking our spots to be aggressive and not 100% relying on it, maybe covering the slot receiver once in a while lol.. all these things are fixable. However, I think we will remain susceptible to accurate QBs, especially those that can throw on the run and those that can make the proper pre-snap read and get the ball out quickly.

I think Manny is who Manny is. Many of us have been in agreement that we would rather err on the side of aggression. I know I would.

technique on the Dlineis the difference. Simpson teaches different than Kul. He is attacking but under better control. which in turn keeps our backers from wash cycles and will have an impact on our gap integrity.

schematics can stay the same; but technique can make it worse or better

Advertisement
You picked out that 3.5 bc it suits you.

We gave up 145 yards rushing per game. That's not very good. it's average.
Also it's because our offense couldn't stay on the field. When that happens, you give other team more plays and time of possession.

Advertisement

Correct. Against us, offenses were almost always in 3rd and 3 or less. In that D and D, the whole playbook is on the table.

Part of the strategy of any defense, actually the main part of the really good ones, is to be able to cut your opponent's playbook in half. There's only so many things you can run out of certain sets, and it's much easier to defend the field, when you've eliminated much of what would normally be available, but no longer is due to down and distance.

It's why it's critical to able to stop the run--especially on first down. If you stop the run on 1st down, you end up with 2nd and 9 or 10. Well in 2nd and 10, the probability that the next play is also a run is extremely high, because an incomplete pass means 3rd and 10.

On 3rd down you're most likely going to see a pass, but there's much more of the route tree available for 3rd and 6 than 3rd and 10, and this is the reasoning for running on 2nd and 10. Picking up that 4 yards is critical to 3rd down success.

A prime example is us last season. Our average distance to gain on 3rd down was 7 yards. There just ain't enough **** you can run on 3rd and 7+ with the personnel we had. Defenses were able to key in on a handful of possible route combos from a QB with suspect accuracy.

Miami gave up 130 passing first downs on defense, not sure where that ranks but it's not good

Also it's because our offense couldn't stay on the field. When that happens, you give other team more plays and time of possession.
"It's the defense's job to get themselves off the field. The job of the offense is to score points, and if we see where we can use tempo to increase our chances of scoring, we're going to do that."

CMR having to explain the fundamental purposes of the offense and the defense to a reporter who asked him if using tempo was smart considering it risks putting the defense back on the field after they had been out there on a few extended series already.

Advertisement
Back