I have 100% confidence in our run D this season

"It's the defense's job to get themselves off the field. The job of the offense is to score points, and if we see where we can use tempo to increase our chances of scoring, we're going to do that."

CMR having to explain the fundamental purposes of the offense and the defense to a reporter who asked him if using tempo was smart considering it risks putting the defense back on the field after they had been out there on a few extended series already.

It's true, but you need depth for both, because of your offense isn't firing properly and the defense is on the field all day then you need fresh bodies. Tempo offenses require depth on both sides of the ball.

Advertisement
You should be worried about our pass D. It was an absolute abomination very often last year against some mediocre to poor QBs. We had a bunch of guys have their career or season best outings on us last year at QB.

**** was Dnofrio-esque

That Wisconsin QB was "supposed" to be mediocre.

Then again the refs didn't do us any favors either. smfh.

Beat LSU. I was listening to Orgeron on the radio today and christ almighty.

Advertisement
Advertisement
You know man...I gave you a hard time...you know your football man. Good stuff.

it shouldn't mean much but you got my respect
Don't sweat it, my man. I don't have any problem having my opinions challenged in a respectful manner. I try to stay open minded to the idea that I could possibly be wrong, and I also respect that just because you don't agree with me, that doesn't mean you have some kind of character flaw or genetic predisposition that prevents you from seeing the truth of the situation. No. It's much more likely that I might just be wrong. Or at least your point of view is just as valid and right and wrong isn't always as black and white as we thought.

I do believe that a lot of the issues have to do with Manny Diaz's over aggressive tendencies. The defense is 100% built on TFLs, sacks and turnovers so when they don't get those, of course they're going to look bad. It's not just the blitzing either. When you put a premium on getting your defensive linemen into the backfield, you're going to get burned on draws and misdirection plays. Plus when your DTs are stunting, there's nobody occupying blockers to keep the linebackers clean. You're asking a lot of your linebackers if you expected them to cover sideline to sideline and take offensive linemen on head on.

I'm optimistic that there will be some changes this year to shore up some of the deficiencies from last year. Manny is a sharp dude and he's shown an ability to make adjustments mid game. He knows whats working and what isn't. I think the D will be even better in 2018 than last year or the year before.

And I absolutely love this defensive philosophy for the simple fact that, as I was outlining earlier, it has the ability to put an offense in a D and D situation that it isn't built to cope with. There's not nearly as much work spent in practice working on 2nd and 17's, as there is trying to avoid getting into 2nd and 17's. A QB sack or a TFL is a drive killer 90% of the time even if it doesn't happen on 3rd or 4th down.

The only problem with this philosophy is when you don't have the personnel to pull it off. Recruiting has put a premium on long and rangy DBs, and I think this will be key to our success. The biggest shortcoming I saw last season was Manny's inability to adjust the defense to the players he had rather than the ones he'd like to have.

Then again, we didn't do too terribly, and it might have been worth it to go ahead and begin teaching the style of defense we're going to be running.

Our run defense by stats was deceptive, with the exception of the notre shame game, i cant recall us shutting down any teams running game of significance. Fsu, wisconsin (i know they were holding w-zebra's looking the other way), i remember pitt doing damage, and that's what helped Unc keep the game close, they were doing work in the run game. I wasnt impressed with our run defense under coach kool while he was here, that's why when people kept hyping him up as the best d-line coach in college football, i didnt agree with that, he is a real good one tho.

When i judge college football run defense, i base it off of opponents faced, not end of the year stat lines. End of the year stats in college football, to many cupcake games across the board, best to go game by game in my opinion.

Advertisement
And I absolutely love this defensive philosophy for the simple fact that, as I was outlining earlier, it has the ability to put an offense in a D and D situation that it isn't built to cope with. There's not nearly as much work spent in practice working on 2nd and 17's, as there is trying to avoid getting into 2nd and 17's. A QB sack or a TFL is a drive killer 90% of the time even if it doesn't happen on 3rd or 4th down.

The only problem with this philosophy is when you don't have the personnel to pull it off. Recruiting has put a premium on long and rangy DBs, and I think this will be key to our success. The biggest shortcoming I saw last season was Manny's inability to adjust the defense to the players he had rather than the ones he'd like to have.

Then again, we didn't do too terribly, and it might have been worth it to go ahead and begin teaching the style of defense we're going to be running.
I just hope Manny improves, because on 3rd dozens last year, it was plain as Day we were blitzing and the offense either knows where the soft spot is or checks into a better play.

It has been chronicled in other threads on this board, Manny is like an MLB pitcher that is in love with his fast ball, but in reality would be better off mixing in more change ups, which would make the fastball even more deadly.

Maybe it was to coverup the blitzing front 7, but there was way too many times our DBs were playing off in obvious short down and distance situations under Manny

I just hope Manny improves, because on 3rd dozens last year, it was plain as Day we were blitzing and the offense either knows where the soft spot is or checks into a better play.

It has been chronicled in other threads on this board, Manny is like an MLB pitcher that is in love with his fast ball, but in reality would be better off mixing in more change ups, which would make the fastball even more deadly.

Maybe it was to coverup the blitzing front 7, but there was way too many times our DBs were playing off in obvious short down and distance situations under Manny

Again, that was my critique. Manny did not adjust his defense for the personnel he had on hand. Trust me. It's going to look a lot better when an FCS grad transfer and a JUCO aren't among the top 4 options at corner.

but I'm a bit worried about our pass D. Last year our yards per game was OK (like 60th I think) but there were some games we got lit up on the back end for yards and TDs. Let's hope some of the new guys step up and clean this up.

Yards per game is a bad stat. Yards per play is significantly more reliable.

Advertisement
There's a difference between averages and consistency. We had a ton of TFLs that brought down averages, so it's a stat that can be misleading taken by itself.

When the average begins to define the consistency, it translates in other areas. One of the easiest ways to determine the rush efficiency of opposing offenses is average distance to gain on 3rd down, and subsequently, 3rd down conversion rate. Offenses that average 3rd and 3 or less, have one thing in common. They run the football consistently.

Almost without fail, unless we got a TFL, sack, offensive penalty, or TO, teams were able to sustain long drives.

It's not just stats. It's stats in relation to each other within the context of the results they produced. We may have been 8th in rush yards per carry, but we were 43rd in rush yards per game. Take that and pair it with the average distance to gain on 3rd downs, and that is a team that other teams have been able to run on with a moderate to good level of consistency.

I have had this same convo in reverse with @brock. He claims we had a decent run game last season based on ypc average. We had a respectable rush yards per carry of 5.05 and that had us ranked somewhere around 24th. But our average was severely inflated due to the fact that we broke so many big runs. We were an all or nothing rushing team. That can make a nice average, but it doesn't translate to consistency. Take away all of our runs over 15 yards, and we're a 2 ypc team.

Now obviously brock is about to **** his pants to scream, "BUT YOU CAN'T TAKE AWAY THOSE RUNS! THEY HAPPENED!

To that I say, I can and I just did. Because I am not trying to illustrate total rushing yards, but establish rushing consistency (or lack there of in our case). We either gained 2 yards or less or 15+. And because of this inconsistency, we found ourselves averaging 7 yards to gain on third down...about 123rd in 3rd down conversion rate, and 79th in rushing yards per game.

Stats. In relation to each other. Within the context of the results of the game.

When you find yourself arguing a statistic that would lead to a different conclusion than the one that actually occurred, you're doing something wrong.

Maybe one of the best posts in the history of this site. Hyperbole? Perhaps. But, well said good sir.

There is not a lot wrong with Diaz overall philosophy he just needs to find a way to get our defense off the field on 3rd down and do away whatever he thought was working in the uva game early on and start of the clemson game

Coming from someone that's had a lobotomy. LOL@ the irony. Wear a wig to hide the scars.

So you've been to a University of Miami coaching clinic/camp/etc...tell me what day it was so I check it against what they sent us as coaches. You haven't attending **** with UM football coaches and show me these videos where you learned Coach Simpson's technique and how we will employ it bc the way you lie about it...it goes totally against our DC's style.

Go ahead and record a quick video of the video you have of coach Simpson drills.

Claim? LOLOL....On given play you don't know what technique a player is using or even if the play call tells for him to use a certain technique. You're just guessing and playing pretend.

So is your entire family...what's the big deal with me?

I don't know of any grown folks that outright lies just to gain clout. You thought everyone was going to gloss over your post like they always do but I gave you the attention because I know you're lying and making up ****.

Your ancestors are trash my guy

Simpson
---------------------

Kul

As you can see, Coach Kul has a huge emphasis on techniques that avoid engaging lineman. He dedicates most of his drills to rip moves and swim moves. The drills are reinforced with repetition using the TECHNIQUES said coach believes in. The fact that you think i cant learn this from these videos is laughable at best.

Coach Simpson shows more of a dedication to engagement/and awareness without reckless penetration. I think his techniques fit Diaz defense better.

Im not replying to you after this, dude. Ive officially destroyed your entire argument. Keep typing and get beat tf up when we meat tf up, hoe.

He called you a devout buffoon and that's all you got?

My guy Chise has your hoe card. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Hows his nut cheese taste?

You clownin people for regarding Shaq and his pops and you over here sucking off a guy that you dont even know.

:youre-nuts:

Advertisement
Back