Hurricanes in 2014 draft

People are sleeping on Walford. He's gotten lost in the Sandland hype but he is extremely talented and will be an NFL tight end if he keeps improving.

Noone sleeps on Walford as long as D$ is in the house

Advertisement
Henderson is definitely a first round talent. Do you guys really think someone is gonna spend a 1st round pick on a RIGHT tackle though?

Hagens isn't getting drafted. Not a chance.

I seriously doubt Morris will go in the 1st round but Manual BJ did so who knows what could happen.

Hurns is a later round guy, maybe 5th.

I think people (fans) are sleeping on Linder. I wouldn't be surprised to see him go in the 1st or 2nd. Dude is a prototype.

Gunter's stock will depend on what he runs in the forty. NFL teams will love his size but they'll question his speed. If he runs anything in the 4.5 rang he will definitely be drafted.

If Porter stays healthy and has a nice year he will go in the late rounds as well. He's a bull.

Tyron Smith says hello

People are sleeping on Walford. He's gotten lost in the Sandland hype but he is extremely talented and will be an NFL tight end if he keeps improving.

this.

Adding to that is the current NFL environment in which TEs are hot commodities right now thanks to the Patriots recent success at the position.

Henderson is definitely a first round talent. Do you guys really think someone is gonna spend a 1st round pick on a RIGHT tackle though?

Hagens isn't getting drafted. Not a chance.

I seriously doubt Morris will go in the 1st round but Manual BJ did so who knows what could happen.

Hurns is a later round guy, maybe 5th.

I think people (fans) are sleeping on Linder. I wouldn't be surprised to see him go in the 1st or 2nd. Dude is a prototype.

Gunter's stock will depend on what he runs in the forty. NFL teams will love his size but they'll question his speed. If he runs anything in the 4.5 rang he will definitely be drafted.

If Porter stays healthy and has a nice year he will go in the late rounds as well. He's a bull.

Tyron Smith says hello

Does Tyron Smith have an injury that prevents him from playing Left Tackle?

this.

Adding to that is the current NFL environment in which TEs are hot commodities right now thanks to the Patriots recent success at the position.

I'll place a friendly wager with both of you on this issue. Walford is very pedestrian to me.

Yeah, TE's are a hot commodity. TE's who are long, lean, athletic, can high-point the ball and can abuse Linebackers. Guys they can split out. I don't see that in Walford. Maybe I missed some things and someone can show me.

Advertisement
If Walford can show he's consistent this season with his hands then yes I believe Walford will do very well in the draft. I think he'll continue to improve and be a very good, not great, TE end here. And yes I think he'll be 3rd or 4th round draft pick of he continues to progress.

this.

I'll place a friendly wager with both of you on this issue. Walford is very pedestrian to me.

Yeah, TE's are a hot commodity. TE's who are long, lean, athletic, can high-point the ball and can abuse Linebackers. Guys they can split out. I don't see that in Walford. Maybe I missed some things and someone can show me.

I don't either, but he still has time. Should be a pivotal year for him.

Alot of people on here are gonna be surprised come next April at how little regard some scouts see our guys..I will bite on THREE guys that would get serious NFL looks in the first 3 rounds. Henderson, Morris, Linder.

Henderson- There is no "If" in this sentence. Henderson is LOCKED in and WILL ball out this year. He was smart to stay because he would not have jumped any of the Tackles that came out last year. He will be a 1st round pick.

Linder - Will sneak in the 2nd or 3rd round. Some team will show him absolutely NO attention during evals so the word wont get out about how much of a stud he is and snatch him in the late 2nd/early 3rd. Kinda how the Dolphins played there hand PERFECTLY when dealing with Oliviar Vernon. NOBODY saw that coming.

Morris - Im a Morris believer. There was nothing that Geno Smith did that made me think he was that much better then Morris. There has been NOTHING that Boyd or Bridgewater have done to make me think they are heads and shoulders better too. McCarron is a product of having great talent around him. With that said, If Morris shows out on Sept 7th AND keeps the momemtum going all year..I think he slides into the 2nd round easily. Geno Smith was projected to be the #1 overall pick in the draft after his hot start last year. Morris can do the same. He is the goods. And if he puts together 2 straight great years I think he will be a 2nd rounder.

As for Porter and Robinson. I think someone will take a flyer on these guys in round 4 or 5. I think Robinson will end up being the better pro. No one else will get drafted. No other Juniors will get looks. Esp at WR. They would be crazy with MLee, SWatkins, and Dthomas coming out next year. People talk about Denzel Perryman and McDermott? Lol. Ahhhh..No.

You seriously don't think Denzel Perryman would get drafted? Wow.

Please tell me you are just saying he isn't coming out next year.

Advertisement

this.

I'll take that wager. His measurables alone are significant (6'5, 260, reported to be under 4.7) and he was productive last year. He makes a ton of chunk plays for a tight end (18 ypc). He had over 400 yards last year (same range as Greg Olsen), and I expect him to be in 500-600 yard territory this year, which is real good production in a multi-dimensional offense. We've seen him catch fades for TDs (FSU 2011 comes to mind), so he has some ability to high point.

As the scout said, Walford is an intriguing guy. He is still a young football player, rawer than most, and I'm excited to see what he becomes.

Lol. Yeah. I meant if he came out next year he wouldnt get drafted. Vilma and DJ were absolute BEASTS in 2002 and they were not sure fire 1st rounders. AND Vilma finished his sophomre year **** well. I havent seen Perryman put it all together yet. I have seen flashes. I have seen his shirtless pics. I havent seen a LB that is draftable as of next year. **** buddy wasn't even in a black jersey half the spring.

I just think we fans sometimes think more of these guys then actual scouts do. And it shows on draft day when our guys drop like flies and we are all shocked. (Like BWash, LMiller, TStreeter, etc.) Nobody can say they thought those guys would be drafted so low. And im sure we can put a **** good list together of more of our guys who went lower then expected as well. I like Perryman. I am just ready for him to take the next step becuz our LB corp depends on it.

Lol. Yeah. I meant if he came out next year he wouldnt get drafted. Vilma and DJ were absolute BEASTS in 2002 and they were not sure fire 1st rounders. AND Vilma finished his sophomre year **** well. I havent seen Perryman put it all together yet. I have seen flashes. I have seen his shirtless pics. I havent seen a LB that is draftable as of next year. **** buddy wasn't even in a black jersey half the spring.

I just think we fans sometimes think more of these guys then actual scouts do. And it shows on draft day when our guys drop like flies and we are all shocked. (Like BWash, LMiller, TStreeter, etc.) Nobody can say they thought those guys would be drafted so low. And im sure we can put a **** good list together of more of our guys who went lower then expected as well. I like Perryman. I am just ready for him to take the next step becuz our LB corp depends on it.

I guess it's only natural for us to think higher of our guys than most scouts do. I also agree that he has yet to put it all together and his best days are in front of him. With the shots to our LB depth he will be counted on even more this year to take that leadership role and set the tone with those ferocious hits he is known for.

this.

I'll take that wager. His measurables alone are significant (6'5, 260, reported to be under 4.7) and he was productive last year. He makes a ton of chunk plays for a tight end (18 ypc). He had over 400 yards last year (same range as Greg Olsen), and I expect him to be in 500-600 yard territory this year, which is real good production in a multi-dimensional offense. We've seen him catch fades for TDs (FSU 2011 comes to mind), so he has some ability to high point.

As the scout said, Walford is an intriguing guy. He is still a young football player, rawer than most, and I'm excited to see what he becomes.

Yup, this. He has the athletic ability to be a game changer for sure.

Advertisement
Im sorry but if Walford runs a 4.7 or lower I need to see that stopwatch. Lol. I swear buddy looked like a 4.85 guy sometimes out there. And put him on the list with Denzel Perryman of guys that im tired of hearing about at Greentree and in the offseason that SHOULD turn the corner. Its time for him to turn the **** thing next year. WTH is he waiting for? I know he was hurt but he is a valuable weapon for SM and he needs to get it in gear. I have given up on Asante Cleveland. Sorry. He looked bad in the Spring game and him having bad hands is starting to become the norm. Lets give someone else a shot.

I can't figure out why Walford doesn't get more love. He can catch a jump ball, gain yards after the catch, make difficult catches (I know his hands have been an issue), and he's got prototype size for a TE.

Im sorry but if Walford runs a 4.7 or lower I need to see that stopwatch. Lol. I swear buddy looked like a 4.85 guy sometimes out there.

It's his running style. You don't make as many big plays down the field as Walford did if you're slow. A lot of people thought Hankerson was slow (despite his weekly big plays) because he has a heavy-legged running style. Then he ran a 4.43 and everyone was surprised.

As for your point about Miami fans overinflating their players' draft prospects, it's usually the other way around. Beason, Olsen, Orlando Franklin, Benjamin, even Bosher and Richard Gordon-- a lot of our guys go higher than the posters expect. The one exception is 2012. I overestimated on nearly all of those guys, especially Streeter, Washington and Miller. But that draft had a lot to do with bad medicals and mixed reviews from our staff, IMO. Plus, I expect Miller to show this year why he should've been a first rounder.

Last edited:
Advertisement
And my last thought on this..Just so cats dont think im hatin' on our guys. I do think the class of Chick, Perryman, Pierre, Gunter, Feliciano, Bunche, Duke, Walford, RScott, and Dorsett is gonna be the class to get "NFL U" back on track again in two years. And especially if Deon and Tracy are the goods too. So I do think we will be back to where we once were in regards to churning out NFL guys like ALA and LSU are right now. Just wont start next year.

D$,

I think Walford has some potential and has shown flashes of talent. He just frustrates me so much because of his mistakes. I am looking for consistency, I am looking for someone who doesn't kill us with his mistakes (see the set pass in the endzone to the other team). Also, I think his speed is suspect. If someone told me he ran a mid 4.7 40, I wouldn't be shocked because he doesn't look too fast out there. He gets open (which is key) and could easily get 600 Receiving Yards for the Canes.

Just for the record Walford will be a junior, I don't see him leaving early.

Walford is slow because when he is running he is slow. Its that simple. Don't really care what his 40 time is because when he has the ball and is running, he certainly doesn't run very fast.

You can say he can't get open if he's slow, but that's BS. How many slow *** white TEs run around wide open against us over the years? If someone doesn't cover him, which seemed to be the case most of the time, its not because he is fast.

Advertisement
Back