Hurricanes in 2014 draft

There is a lot of dumb in this thread.

Many of these kids likely won't even entertain entering the draft (Bunche, McDermott, Perryman, Pierre) UNLESS we do something insane this year.

Advertisement
Bored watching the Draft. Thought I'd rank the top 5 UM players in the 2014 NFL Draft.

1. Stephen Morris (1st Round)
2. Seantrel Henderson (2nd Round)
3. Denzel Perryman (2nd Round)
4. Brandon Linder (2nd Round)
5. Shane McDermott (4th Round)

Who do you guys have?

1. Stephen Morris (1st or 2nd Round)
2. Seantrel Henderson (1st Round)
3. Denzel Perryman (staying for senior year)
4. Brandon Linder (1st Round)
5. Shane McDermott (staying for senior year)
6. Allen Hurns (3rd round)
7. Maurice Hagens (4th round)
8. Asante Cleveland (UFa)
9. Shayon Green (done)
10.Dyron Dye (UFa)
11. Curtis Porter ( 6th round)
12. Luther Robinson(6th round)
13. Jimmy Gaines (5th round)
14. Kacy Rodgers (done)
15. Alonzo highsmith (done)

Bored watching the Draft. Thought I'd rank the top 5 UM players in the 2014 NFL Draft.

Who do you guys have?

9. Shayon Green (done)
10.Dyron Dye (UFa)
14. Kacy Rodgers (done)

Ehh...

Nobody is wasting a 4th round pick on a FB (Hagens).
Gaines is not gonna get drafted.
Allen Hurns is not going in the 3rd round. Hankerson was twice the WR Hurns is and you see where he went.
And why in the world would anybody even mention McDermott right now? (but leave Feliciano out)

Chargers took D.J Fluker a RT in the 1st rd and the Giants took Justin Pugh a RT in the draft this yr so the Answer yes.

BTW Henderson will be a LT in the NFL.

He couldn't even play LT here. Why would he be a LT in the NFL?

Henderson prefers RT and the staff has accomidated him and put him at RT. He's a L T all the way at the next level (what' he prefers won't matter as much once he starts getting paid)

You think the Miami coaching staff put a future 1st round Left Tackle at RIGHT Tackle cause he preferred to play there? LOL @ a Division-1 coaching staff "accommodating" anybody.

Actually, yeah. He plays RT because after his back surgery, he was weaker on one side and not comfortable with the kicking needed for LT. Talks about it here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/umiami/2012/09/seantrel-henderson-talks-about-his-first-action-of-the-season.html. Now, what he'll be drafted as and what he will play in the NFL, I have no idea.

That only helps my point.

Porter could go pretty high if he can put together a full season.

Advertisement

Who do you guys have?

9. Shayon Green (done)
10.Dyron Dye (UFa)
14. Kacy Rodgers (done)

Ehh...

Nobody is wasting a 4th round pick on a FB (Hagens).
Gaines is not gonna get drafted.
Allen Hurns is not going in the 3rd round. Hankerson was twice the WR Hurns is and you see where he went.
And why in the world would anybody even mention McDermott right now? (but leave Feliciano out)

I think Gaines is going to get drafted.... very smart player that has physically developed well under Golden. Hagens is going to get drafted too but the 4th round is a stretch. I disagree w/ you on Hurns. I dont think Hankerson is that much better then him, it's just Hurns cant stay healthy. If he can play through the entire season i could see him going in the 3rd round w/ a good NFL combine performance if not 4th or 5th at worst.

Who do you guys have?

9. Shayon Green (done)
10.Dyron Dye (UFa)
14. Kacy Rodgers (done)

Medical red flags will drop Hurns and Porter. I see Porter as maybe a late round guy if he has a clean sheet this year and plays to his ceiling, and Hurns is probably a priority FA.

Cleveland, should he live up tot he GreenTree hype, could sneak in to the 7th...hard to teach 6'5", 265 with wheels.

Linder got a 5th or 6th round grade this year as I recall...he could probably move up to the second day with a big year but the question will be "is he elite at any one thing?" If not, he is just a guy whose strength is his versatility, which is not a bad thing but also isn't enough for an NFL team to justify a high pick on.

Seantrel is our best hope for a 1st. I think we saw a sea change in the NFL these past two drafts after that ridiculous Locker/Gabbert/Ponder year...teams are willing to wait til the second or third round to grab the guy they want at QB (see: Russ Wilson). That means Morris has to not only perform this year under the microscope, but also set himself apart in the pre-draft stuff in order to go in the first. For the record, I think he is more than capable of doing it. Kid has a gun, is tough as ****, no red flag off field stuff (yet) and has played Pro-Style; plus he has wheels when the play breaks down. Very interesting prospect for a team like the Jags or Cardinals or Raiders, I would think.

lololololol @ Hagens going in the 4th. Zone gon Zone. Just went full ******.

Hagens has the potential to be considered the #1 fb in next years NFL draft, IMO.... that's why i went w/ 4th that could mean 5th or 6th but since im not betting any money on it i really dont give a ****.

Advertisement
I actually don't see any first rounders right now. Lots of second round guys.

Sentrel is a RT with a lot of baggage. He's going to have to really put it together to get into the 2nd. Where would he have been drafted had he come out this year? 4th round?

That's a big jump. It's possible, it's going to have all really come together.

Morris - 1st or 2nd
Henderson - 1st or 2nd
Linder 3-5
Porter 5-7
Maybe Gunter or Dorsett could come out early and go 1st or 2nd
Denzel has no chance of leaving early IMO 5'9 LB they don't leave early

Advertisement
1. Henderson mid 1st round: higher if a team thinks he can be a LT.
2. Morris late 1st round: kid has an NFL arm and has played in a pro offense versus all the guys coming from spread sytems.
3. Linder: 2nd: scouts will love his skill set, he could sneak in to the late 1st round with a big senior season.
4. Perryman: should return for senior year 3-4th rd.
5. Porter: 2-6th rd. Kid has potential, this is a make or break year for him.
6. Hurns: late round pick that could move up if his 40 time is better than 4.6
7. Hagans: 6-7th round UFA: FB's just don't get much love anymore

Everyone else should return to school and not even entertain entering the draft

Y'all LOL'ing at Stephen Morris being a high draft pick need to adjust their glasses and start paying some attention.

Obviously, very obviously, Morris's draft stock will hinge primarily (and almost entirely) on how he performs this year. But if he improves on his junior campaign, and we can win 9-10 games to get eyes and attention on him, then the first round is well within the realm of possible realities for Morris.

He's got an NFL-strong arm, an attitude and football brain that GMs and coaches will love, and if he's developed even some of that Aaron Rodgers pinpoint placement we read about in the Spring Game...sky is the limit, guys.

A little reality check this am for some of you guys sporting the Kool Aid costume this week:)

FRIDAY BUZZ COLUMN

ESPN’s Trey Wingo cracked during the third round of the NFL draft that “two of the last three picks have been from Connecticut and we’re still waiting for one pick from the University of Michigan or Miami. Things are changing.”

The fact Miami had only two draft picks (Rams fifth-rounder Brandon McGee, Buccaneers sixth-rounder Mike James) was primarily a result of its small senior class and the previous year’s early departures. Still, UM now has gone five years in a row without a first-rounder after having one every year from 1995 to 2008.

And though the Hurricanes might not have one next year, evaluators see encouraging signs. “Things are changing with the talent level there, especially offensively,” said one NFL scout who studies UM a lot. “They can have at least five kids drafted next year.”

CBS’ Rob Rang lists defensive end Anthony Chickillo as the 45th-best overall prospect in next year’s draft (should he turn pro early) and Seantrel Henderson 49th.

CBS also lists Henderson the No. 5 senior tackle, Stephen Morris the No. 10 quarterback, Allen Hurns the No. 11 receiver, Asante Cleveland the No. 12 tight end and Brandon Linder the No. 16 guard. An NFC scout said he’s intrigued by tight end Clive Walford – “very talented” – and that Henderson can be a first-rounder if he plays to his potential.

Though he’s not there yet, the NFC scout said Morris could make himself a second-rounder if he keeps improving: “He will have the strongest arm in the draft next year.” And “he can move,” another scout said of his mobility. “He wins games.”

Morris will be part of a deep quarterback class, headlined by Louisville’s Teddy Bridgewater, Alabama’s A.J. McCarron, Georgia’s Aaron Murray and Clemson’s Tajh Boyd. UM’s most electrifying player, running back Duke Johnson, will not be eligible for next year’s draft.

Advertisement
So we care about a guy that says Chickillo is a better NFL prospect right now than Henderson?

So we care about a guy that says Chickillo is a better NFL prospect right now than Henderson?

Maybe. First of all, they are almost even to that guy from a draft perspective. So when you consider that Chick is a massive high effort guy, and SH has baggage, that tells you the writer agrees that SH is more naturally talented. Not sure what surprises you there.

People are sleeping on Walford. He's gotten lost in the Sandland hype but he is extremely talented and will be an NFL tight end if he keeps improving.

Maybe. First of all, they are almost even to that guy from a draft perspective. So when you consider that Chick is a massive high effort guy, and SH has baggage, that tells you the writer agrees that SH is more naturally talented. Not sure what surprises you there.

I love Chick, but you know what I am saying here. 45th overall prospect?

Regardless Henderson is about health and character. By all accounts he has cleaned up the 2nd part (if there was a problem) but he has to show he can play LT at Miami before I can say he is a LT in the NFL. Just me though.

I wouldn't be shocked if Linder is the first Cane picked. Teams are changing their offensive line philosophies. SF started a trend and they use big, athletic, interior linemen, which Linder is.

Henderson 1-2
Linder 2-3
Morris 1-3

Guys like Porter, Hurns etc. I have no idea right now.

Advertisement
Back