How do you fix this offense?

Spread

We definitely have the athletes.

It would be the best system for our problematic OL
This. As bad as our OL is, and it is a dumpster fire, this offense would be serviceable in a spread system. We moved the ball on the last two possessions because we got the ball out to our playmakers in space quickly. The offense stalls every time we go back to that I formation play action 90’s offense.

Advertisement
Beginning to gel? C'mon, man. Raise your standards. We have allowed more sacks than any team in the FBS. We are so far from gelling it isn't funny.

I think the other 4 OL are gonna be solid, don’t really care if you agree with that or not.

Advertisement
Move Scaife to LT and rotate Zion, Herbert, Dykstra and Campbell to RT until someone even proves to be somewhat human out there on the field.

Fire Dan Penos immediately and try to get someone like Derek Dooley or the OC from SMU on the cheap since thats all this school cares about is being cheap.

Fire Barry immediately and hire Romberg to see if he has any ability to coach an Oline.

Never force the QB to take his eyes off downfield by running god awful play actions ever again.
Fire a guy with proven O-line coaching experience both college and pro to hire a first timer with no D-1 experience at all... Yea that's smart... SMDH!!!

Advertisement
They are content at trying to make this Oline grow and get better with On The Job Training, they think this will help them to get better. Just hard watching this S...

I do think that moving Scaife to LT might help and try Zion and at RT might help some.

Take out every single play action slow developing pass plays

they wont work this year with this Oline stop running it... all it does is lead to a sack or the QB immediately running for his life attempting to at least to get back to the line of scrimmage

Fire a guy with proven O-line coaching experience both college and pro to hire a first timer with no D-1 experience at all... Yea that's smart... SMDH!!!
What exactly is "proven" by Barry? The fact that he started Campbell at RT instead of Scaife against UF and is directly attributable to the loss? Or simply that he is gonna set an all time record of sacks given up in a season

Butch Barry needs to go. I don't know why we keep trotting Zion Nelson out there. He's clearly not ready. It's true the OL lacks talent, but it's also poorly coached. Technique is awful, poor communication, free rushers happen more than it should. Barry is doing the worst possible job he can even with limited talent to work with.

With that said, Enos playcalling does the OL absolutely no favors. The play action passes in obvious passing situations gives the defense an edge. Going under center instead of starting the QB in the gun hurts. Any time he goes I-formation, double tight or brings the WRs close to the tackle box hurts also. He brings more defenders inside the box making it harder to identify potential blitzers.

My recommendations are pretty much what everyone else has said in here in some way: fire Butch Barry, Fire Enos, go spread

Advertisement
Advertisement
I think the only answer right now is to fully embrace Perry as a dual threat.

He needs to have 5 to 10 runs per game.

Enos has shown no signs of changing his playcalling (maybe bc he doesnt have the talent to) .

There is no short term fix. It’s inherently broken because the offensive line. So we have design plays and call the game as if our QB has 1.5 seconds the throw. There isn’t an OC in the nation that could do any better... he’s trying everything possible. And last night we had no turnovers and prevented one follow the best pass rushes in country from destroying us. In fact, we were pinned deep most of the game, yet Enos still was able to carve up their defense late in the game.

Besides firing Enos....
Fire him as OC if he won’t adjust the play calling to the personnel we have. This has been the issue since game one - those first few plays in game one reappeared last night, and were successful. Fire him completely If he can’t improve the negative tendencies our QBs have. I mean what else is his purpose on this coaching staff if he can’t deliver? Manny bought himself some credibility in my eyes by weighing himself on the D. That needs to continue. He needs to interject himself on the offensive play calling. He wears those headphones on the sideline, and knows every play being called and should be able to steer Enos to call plays that work. Stubborn attitude re AG and D’No drove us nuts. Stubborn attitude re MR and Jr drove us nuts. Now we have Manny and Enos in a perpetual spiral of stubborn play calling. This $#!t has to end. Firing Enos would be a step forward if there is no improvement from him.

Advertisement
Back