How do you fix this offense?

Advertisement
Long Term: You have to fire Enos. What he wants to do on offense will always be a detriment that we have to have elite talent to overcome.

Short Term with Enos: You do what we did the last two drives of the game. Spread it out. Get the ball out quickly to athletes in space. Make it more difficult for teams to blitz because we aren't bunched up around the line of scrimmage. And this helped negate the weak OL. It also helps open up Dallas inside.

Firstly, with this o line we have to accept that our offense will be unable to achieve greatness until it improves. In the meantime, Enos can be less f'n stubborn and cut out play action in favor of more spread looks and running the ball WAY more. Last week vs Va Tech who has a poor run D, and not exploiting that was criminal. We tried more runs but they were poorly designed, slow developing. This line can't hold blocks long enough to go east-west, it's gotta be 1 cut and 3-5 receivers spread out to create a numbers advantage. Also, keep utilizing those quick screens, getting the ball in space, and taking those deep shots. Yes, Kosi missed the deep balls last night but we keep taking those shots and we'll eventually get some. Enos the ball is in your court, step up.

You answered it. Enos is a really good QB coach, but as OC he cant help himself it seems. He doesnt care if he doesnt have oline for it, he wants to go under center and have long developing plays, even if he doesnt have a talented fullback and every time he trots one out there its almost always a negative play he will continue to use a fullback offense.

It pains me to see midwest teams like Okla, OSU, have more explosive wide open offenses than us, we are soo behind the curve. Teams like LSU who have more recent success, just finally got with times and IMMEDIATELY with their talent base have been lighting college football on fire with their wide open offense. 54 ppg. Through 5 games the most ever in sec. In one offseason. Ugh. Will continue to wait while we try to figure out the perfect combo of the ever elusive pro style full back in flats bro offense.

💯💯💯💯💯💯‼️

Advertisement
This OL is so bad I don't know if I can pass judgement. obviously the people calling for an all shotgun offense or something like that makes no sense. Alabama did just fine last you're not doing that and we did terrible doing just that.

What I see is all of these annoying gimmicks and that's where I really want to place the blame. but who knows if we had a tackle that didn't get instantly run over maybe it would be better.

Besides firing Enos.

I mean jesus it's been 4 years of this. Lets say Manny's fixed the defense for now, you need something out of the offense if you're gonna get on a winning streak. It'd be nice if the offense did its part and would join the 21st century one of these years, so painful to watch. Just don't get it with the weapons we have.

You get an offensive line. End of story.

Whatever coaches want Williams to be; he'll never be it behind the trashcan line.

Perry's athleticism and elusiveness saved Miami last night. If he doesn't pick up that 4th-and-7 with his legs and Canes don't go up 7-0, entire tone of that game changes and Canes wind up losing. Book it.

Have to deal with what is, not what we want it to be—and for this year, it's about survival and getting experience ... and trying to find some JUCO transfers to help this porous, inexperienced offensive line.

Yes, Enos is assuredly part of the problem. His play-calling is too cute at the wrong times and he is a fan of slow developing plays. But let us not ignore the elephant in the room: our pathetic offensive line.

View attachment 99254

We are dead last in the FBS in sacks allowed, at 28. The other teams who have allowed more than 20 are: Cal, Kent State, Akron, USF, and Syracuse. Dead last. And if you want to throw in QB hurries and other broken plays due to our OL allowing relentless pressure, our last place ranking is even worse than it appears. The OL coach must be fired and we need a serious infusion of talent on the OL. Our players are either slow (e.g. Donaldson) or lack the appropriate size (e.g. Nelson) for their respective positions. We shouldn't have to force feed 50 lbs onto a 2 star lineman to get him ready to start LT as a true freshman. That is ******* absurd and gets you these types of results.

^^^THIS .... and anyone who is b1tching about play calling and Enos without acknowledging how ****ty this offensive line is , you have no place in this conversation. This is as bad / green an offensive line I've ever seen at this program.

It really isn't that difficult, we just keep making it insanely hard on ourselves.

Our guys have success when we spread teams out and get our guys the ball quickly in space.

You have to believe that Enos has the knowledge to implement this, but for whatever reason, he won't.

It's going to take Manny getting involved in the offense and being very specific as to what he wants to see. As a former defensive coordinator he can't look at our offensive game plan and think to himself, "I would have difficulty defending this."

Advertisement
^^^THIS .... and anyone who is b1tching about play calling and Enos without acknowledging how ****ty this offensive line is , you have no place in this conversation. This is as bad / green an offensive line I've ever seen at this program.
FSU's Oline was all time historically bad last year as well and not really any better this year. The only difference is Briles play calling. He has the QB's getting the ball out of their hands almost immediately.

You simply can't keep taking the QB's eyes off the field for even a millisecond b/c of Enos love affair with play actions

Advertisement
Penos is an unmitigated disaster. He's the Dorito of offense.

Mandy has 3 ways to save his season offensively. He listened to my plan to save the defense I posted a month ago and boom look at the difference.

1. Start Perry - Jarren is a ball-protecting dud
2. Bench Zion - Disgusting he still gets snaps
3. Move to spread - Grab Penos by the collar and tell him kiss the heavy formations under center and snapping the ball with :05 on the playclock goodbye or you're a dead man.

Anyone defending Penos after seeing our personnel is on another ******* planet.

Advertisement
I definitely have problems with some of the calls: iformation, wildcat sweep on the outside, TE sweep at the goal line.

But it’s worth remembering UVA’s defense is good. ND only scored 21 against them and was very limited. If one of those deep passes connect then we’d have done better

1. Defense hasn't been fixed at all, we're just playing better guys and i'm not sure why it took this long.

2. The offensive problems start with the OL that has no push, poor communication, and doesn't move their feet well. It continues with a 1-read inaccurate QB in Perry, an unassertive QB without feel for the position in Jarren, and I'll withhold judgement on Tate but I know all 3 have mechanical issues as well. If our QBs had better deep-ball accuracy we'd have a better record and lot of posters wouldn't be complaining about the offensive scheme at all. As if you just need to line em up like Oklahoma or [insert successful offense here] and they'd just magically be able to execute those schemes or our QBs would miraculously become more accurate. Doesn't work that way.

The reason you "Just don't get it" is because your understanding and premise starts with, "Lets say Manny's fixed the defense for now".
Last night Perry missed one and possibly two deep balls for touchdowns

Besides firing Enos.

I mean jesus it's been 4 years of this. Lets say Manny's fixed the defense for now, you need something out of the offense if you're gonna get on a winning streak. It'd be nice if the offense did its part and would join the 21st century one of these years, so painful to watch. Just don't get it with the weapons we have.

Assume you have no o line and the defense will be in the back field within 3 seconds.
Design plays where the QB will have to scramble.
Take snaps from the shotgun and have quick dumps.
Once the defense adjusts, then test the run game or max protect and throw deep.

Out of all of the coaches I worry least about Enos. OL is an abomination and I counted at least 5 dropped passes by the WRs.

Does he need to step it up on the Xs and Os sure. However with that OL I’m not sure what can be done.
I can tell you what can’t be done - slow, long developing plays. Until we have an OL to support that, he needs to purge them from the playbook and his mind. I worry about him up to the point that he does.

Advertisement
Back