How Do We Fix The O-Line?

Lmao at that being racist.

If you wanna be soft and fake outraged, head to Twitter, you gaylord.

We’re talking football, not which innocuous comment made you clutch your pearls.

Gaylord? Could you possibly be more lacking in self awareness?

Go away Archie Bunker with 20,000 post, 7000 positive responses guy. Can’t believe I wasted this much time on you.

Advertisement
Those boys need game reps! Growing pains and it sucks but if you’re trying to build something, making immediate changes is knee jerk and you’re assuming the guard behind Scafie is going to get the same production! You have a chance to return all 5 starters back next year. Let em play

Some of you want a quick fix with no sustainability. How you fix the O-line is to have them keep playing and improving. I bet that you see improvement come UNC. Some of you guys have no patience. Clemson was not what it is now when Dabo took over, but see them now. Patience guys, Manny will get it done.

Advertisement
10 sacks
5 hurries
16 tackles for loss

They just need time to grow. Know what else grows? Tumors.

Rewatched.

The problem by far is Campbell. I don't think we have a choice here, Scaife HAS to kick out. He caused more pressures than anyone on the line by far and theres a right tackle that proved to be reliable as a true freshman right next to him, move him over. We have tons of guards on this team. Find ONE that can play right guard good enough to keep us alive! For all the talk of Campbell's edge he's out there helping Gators up smh
This is how I feel. Campbell played one of the worst games by oline maybe past Pipho.. Not only was he getting blown by, he had multiple false starts, holding, chop block penalties.. This guy drew soo many flags on top of getting blown by.. It makes no sense we have a roster full of guards. FIND ONE so we can move Scaife to tackle. Campbell can continue to grow in practice.. He is not ready for field action

Advertisement
So, if you are saying we have enough talent, then why does the line consistently under perform these rankings?

We've only had one good OL coach in that time period, and the poor OC quality brought everybody down. When Stoutland was here, he signed monsters. Linder, Seantrel, Feliciano, Franklin, Washington and Gunn all made the league, and Horn and McDermott were All-ACC centers. Unfortunately, he didn't get to coach most of these guys.

10 sacks
5 hurries
16 tackles for loss

They just need time to grow. Know what else grows? Tumors.

This is my problem with Enos publicly saying something about his QB.

Ok...he ate 5 sacks...explain the other 5 of those...5 pressures...and all the TFL.

It's not like this all happened in one quarter or half and there were no time for adjustments. I mean...final 8m of the game, Miami had the ball for nearly the duration in Florida territory and there were a ton of TFL and sacks (4 I believe) in those final two drives. Where was the adjustment to compensate for the liability in a crunch time game on the line scenario?

If players were running free all game long as this fanbase claims, why not max protect...why not run it down their throats...time was not the issue and we were averaging ypc by out backs.

Whole lot of excuses just don't make much sense.

We've only had one good OL coach in that time period, and the poor OC quality brought everybody down. When Stoutland was here, he signed monsters. Linder, Seantrel, Feliciano, Franklin, Washington and Gunn all made the league, and Horn and McDermott were All-ACC centers. Unfortunately, he didn't get to coach most of these guys.

We obviously disagree about the level of talent we have at OL, and whether these guys can comprise a top-10/20 worthy OL in couple years when they're all upper classmen. By which time Donaldson will be gone btw. I don't see that being the case. So we just disagree.

That said, all the OL we're hanging our hopes on 2 years down the road are already on the team so that's water under the bridge. The actual point of my original post on this subject is how our prior recruiting experience should inform us about taking guys like Antonio Smith and Chris Washington as two out of three OL recruits.

So let's just get to that question. Do you think we'll build a top-10/20 caliber OL if Smith and Washinton constitute 2/3's of our OL class each year? While anything's possible I say it's a very low probability way of building a top-10/20 OL.

Last edited:
Our only hope on the OL is that some of these young kids develop into players over the next couple of seasons, there are no quick fixes.

Advertisement
Too many porsters are expecting an easy time vs UNC. That won’t happen.
Not me. I see people predicting 30+ point wins and they will be in for a rude awakening.

Our team is constructed like a **** good fantasy football team: nice explosive weapons at all the skill positions. But we are soft as fvck on the line and it’s not just the two tackles. I never understood why Gaynor came into this season with so much hype. He is another potential liability on the line.

So let's just get to that question. Do you think we'll build a top-10/20 caliber OL if Smith and Washinton constitute 2/3's of our OL class each year? While anything's possible I say it's a very low probability way of building a top-10/20 OL.

To me, the key is going to be protecting South Florida. With the weight restrictions being lifted in youth football, we are entering a golden age of South Florida OL. It's the deepest position in the region this year. Right now, none are committed to Miami. It would be a brutal blow to lose a guy like Issiah Walker.

As a general rule (and the data supports this), star ratings correlate less with OL than any other position. But they are still important. We should be getting a few upside prospects with the right physical profile (tall, lean, verified athleticism) but we can't consistently lose battles.

The lack of high quality fatties up front is the thing that will keep the program from being able to get back to the top.

Advertisement
To me, the key is going to be protecting South Florida. With the weight restrictions being lifted in youth football, we are entering a golden age of South Florida OL. It's the deepest position in the region this year. Right now, none are committed to Miami. It would be a brutal blow to lose a guy like Issiah Walker.

As a general rule (and the data supports this), star ratings correlate less with OL than any other position. But they are still important. We should be getting a few upside prospects with the right physical profile (tall, lean, verified athleticism) but we can't consistently lose battles.

So do we agree then that our OL recruiting needs to get better, in addition to guys becoming more experienced?

Advertisement
Back