Guys, I'm worried about our run defense

Thought the Gators rushing offense would be tough to beat but sure enough Wiscy was better last year. Still though, averaging 230 yards per game at 5ypc against P5 opponents is nothing to sneeze at by the Gator.

You do realize they lost their ENTIRE OL right?

Advertisement
But the LSU game undoubtedly informed us that we were in for a dumpster fire of a season. There will be signs to pick up from the UF game outside of just winning or losing

By the time we beat FSU and got to 5-1, the LSU game was a distant memory. We thought we had righted the ship and had found our QB of the future. Nobody was talking about LSU.

It's only in hindsight that the armchair QBs can say there were "signs". But there are "signs" in every game vs every team. Every team has strengths and weaknesses that show up in every game, regardless of opponent, but the weaknesses show up more vs good teams. Saying there were "signs" is a non-statement. What matters is the relative frequency that your strengths and weaknesses show up throughout the course of the season.

Had N'kosi taken off after FSU, instead of fallen off a cliff (partially/mostly due to how he was handled by the coaching staff), we would've won at least 2-3 more games and the LSU game would've been meaningless.

I'm all for getting hyped for the UF game - this is sports and every game is equally meaningless and fun, after all - but come December we'll care much less about that game and much more about how we did the rest of the way.

By the time we beat FSU and got to 5-1, the LSU game was a distant memory. We thought we had righted the ship and had found our QB of the future. Nobody was talking about LSU.

We? More like you. I must be talking to a Mork Richt defender up until his dying days because there was nothing in either that FSU game or the 4 weeks previous that had anyone sane thinking we suddenly righted the ship. Lmao at the thought of Mork finally seeing the light and fixing the dumpster fire he created.

Yea the Gaytors are talented that's why they are high pre-season ranked. You can't stop good teams from gaining yardage... but what we can do is gain yardage ourselves and respond effectively when we have the ball... it will make our defense play better and keep them off the field more than the Richt years. I'll leave the defensive chess game up to Coach Diaz, Baker, Banda who will take care of the trench warfare.

Advertisement
The defense mailed it in for the bowl game. I'm not really concerned about that. The BC game was ugly though. It's the only "bad" game the defense played. UNC racked up ground yardage but surrendering rushing yards when your up 30 is fine. You're playing to prevent the big gain through the air so if the opponent wants to nickle and dime you with clock eating running plays, you take it.
Exactly. By the Wisky game the season was unmitigated disaster. Richt was all out of answers and everyone knew it, Manny was leaving, the Defense had nothing to play for. This is a completely different team now!

We? More like you. I must be talking to a Mork Richt defender up until his dying days because there was nothing in either that FSU game or the 4 weeks previous that had anyone sane thinking we suddenly righted the ship. Lmao at the thought of Mork finally seeing the light and fixing the dumpster fire he created.
That FSU game made it even more apparent that their was trouble in Paradise last year. We should have smoked them by 30+

until we prove different would agree with worry on run game we will be ok against run of mill ACC teams.
big boy schools Clemson, LSU Bama, UGA Whisky have dominated us recently.....10 + years
we'll see if that changes with new S&C guy... till then i am skeptical.
Gators with mainly new O line and SEC S&C program in place will present issues
like the under and taking the points

That FSU game made it even more apparent that their was trouble in Paradise last year. We should have smoked them by 30+
Game is always close regardless. It’s been like that since 2014 even when they had Jameis

Advertisement
WE WILL Roll

Cautiously optimistic our offense will be on the field a lot more this year which in turn should help improve all the defensive stats.

Willis was great, but the reason he went undrafted, despite gaudy numbers, is that he was viewed as feast or famine - a gap shooter. That's not good if you want to stop the run. You want someone to take on a block, knowing they probably won't make a stop 3 yards in the backfield.

I still have a sour taste in my mouth from when last saw our boys play in which they got sodomized on National TV to the tune of 333 yards on 5.7 ypc. Now, I know that was a meaningless game, and the team was being led by a man who models himself after the title character Bernie in the film Weekend at Bernie's, so I'm willing to give the team some sort of pass.

But there's still other games from last season that lead me to worry. Such as the BC game where we allowed 215 yards on 5.4ypc and the UNC game where we allowed 223 yards on 4.2 ypc. Overall, our average rush yards allowed against P5 opponents was 175 and we gave up 3.8 ypc.

If I understand correctly, the Gators are more talented than teams such as BC, UNC and Wiscy. With that, I'm a bit worried. Can someone please calm me down and say we're going to be alright?

Legit concern. Our DT's especially Willis were more concerned about sacks and TFL's then stopping the run which can hurt big time. Risk reward but hoping we can be more consistent in stopping the run as you said.

What happened against Wisconsin I call the Rosier factor. If he’s playing, the guys know they have no chance. That kills morale and I am not going to kil myself when we have no chance in ****.

Advertisement
It's mostly scheme related, the ultra aggressive style will give up big plays on the ground sometimes. Losing Willis is a big blow, but UF losing 4 starting o lineman while running a scheme heavy on qb runs, draws, and misdirection doesn't bode well for them either. Maybe coach baker will mix up some calls to minimize the possibility of big runs ? If we have an offense who can actually score, gets first downs consistently, and a punter who gives us respectable field position then I can live with Perine getting a big run or two.

I still have a sour taste in my mouth from when last saw our boys play in which they got sodomized on National TV to the tune of 333 yards on 5.7 ypc. Now, I know that was a meaningless game, and the team was being led by a man who models himself after the title character Bernie in the film Weekend at Bernie's, so I'm willing to give the team some sort of pass.

But there's still other games from last season that lead me to worry. Such as the BC game where we allowed 215 yards on 5.4ypc and the UNC game where we allowed 223 yards on 4.2 ypc. Overall, our average rush yards allowed against P5 opponents was 175 and we gave up 3.8 ypc.

If I understand correctly, the Gators are more talented than teams such as BC, UNC and Wiscy. With that, I'm a bit worried. Can someone please calm me down and say we're going to be alright?

😂😂😂

Advertisement
Our defense is literally designed to stop a mullet type of offense. Frank’s does not go through his progressions. He throws short passes, which 80% of them are to the right. When Frank‘s in trouble he throws to an outlet running back to the right. We play the running back and let the quarterback get beat down.

Last edited:
Our defense is fine the offense let them down.think defense kind of got worn down.when your offense can't sustain drives it can demoralize a defense.especially one that has a good oline like Wisconsin's that likes to pound you to death.all year long the offense didn't do a whole lot to help out the defense.hopefully that changes this year for to keep the defense fresh.

A lot of people (kool-aid drinkers) won’t acknowledge that this is a legit question heading into the fall, but it most certainly is. We need to improve. That’s the bottom line.
Well considering Miami was ranked 23rd in rushing defense and uf was 66th or so in rushing defense I would Say they have more of a problem. Regardless it’s a new season either way

Advertisement
Back