Guys, I'm worried about our run defense

We’re going to have games where we get gashed due our aggressive style. We’re also going to have games like ND in 17 where they couldn’t do a **** thing.

Our National Championship teams suffered the same crap. I would be furious as our rush would run right by the running back.

My wife would leave the house during games.

Getting slashed here and there comes with the aggression - gotta keep in our lanes.

Make that Heisman Trophy Shoe-In (per UF fans) beat us.

Advertisement
Well considering Miami was ranked 23rd in rushing defense and uf was 66th or so in rushing defense I would Say they have more of a problem. Regardless it’s a new season either way

Our rush defense was very effective. People don’t realize there’s a cost for all those TFL and the cost is usually chunk running plays. However, take away the chunk yards and we stop the rush in the backfield or short most of the time.

Wisconsin & BC are different animals. Both have NFL lines with NFL backs. When you aren’t ready to give 1000% teams like those two will kill you. In our scheme tho we are going to give up chunk running plays due to the stunts up front. Need a guy like Jordan Miller to eat some space up & come into his own this season.

Advertisement
I'm curious if Manny's relationship and knowledge of Mullen's system will be more advantageous for us or them? They both know what the other likes to call having worked together for years.

I'm curious if Manny's relationship and knowledge of Mullen's system will be more advantageous for us or them? They both know what the other likes to call having worked together for years.
The difference is diaz isn't calling the defense.

Miami ranked 42 in nation in Rushing Defense. You should be worried.

WOW...........42!?!?! Holy crap that is really bad.

I wonder what the correlation between the offense going three and out all the time and the defense being tired is?

Advertisement
The difference is diaz isn't calling the defense.
I'm curious about this. I know Manny will have a headset and I know he's not making any offensive play calls. How hands off is he going to be on defense? I know Baker is the DC in title but Baker worked under Manny and is running Manny's defense. I've got to assume his gameday footprint on defense will be noticeable.

I'm curious about this. I know Manny will have a headset and I know he's not making any offensive play calls. How hands off is he going to be on defense? I know Baker is the DC in title but Baker worked under Manny and is running Manny's defense. I've got to assume his gameday footprint on defense will be noticeable.
Baker seems to believe that diaz will let him run things. I'm sure diaz will step in if he doesn't like what he sees.

As it should be but hopefully not in a micro managing kind of way.

He gave Enos 100% control of the offense for a reason.

Advertisement
Miami ranked 42 in nation in Rushing Defense. You should be worried.
Miami was Top 25 in rushing yards per carry given up though. Of course you would have ranked 42nd n “rushing defense” which only goes by how many yards you give up and not taking into account in how many rushes you had to defend to get to that number

I still have a sour taste in my mouth from when last saw our boys play in which they got sodomized on National TV to the tune of 333 yards on 5.7 ypc. Now, I know that was a meaningless game, and the team was being led by a man who models himself after the title character Bernie in the film Weekend at Bernie's, so I'm willing to give the team some sort of pass.

But there's still other games from last season that lead me to worry. Such as the BC game where we allowed 215 yards on 5.4ypc and the UNC game where we allowed 223 yards on 4.2 ypc. Overall, our average rush yards allowed against P5 opponents was 175 and we gave up 3.8 ypc.

If I understand correctly, the Gators are more talented than teams such as BC, UNC and Wiscy. With that, I'm a bit worried. Can someone please calm me down and say we're going to be alright?

To reiterate what I said in a separate thread: We have the talent to beat the Gaytors. If our coaches do their jobs and put our guys in positions that utilize their strengths, we win. Period.

Advertisement
Miami allowed an average of 3.54 yards per carry last year.
Alabama allowed an average of 3.53 yards per carry last year.

Rushing yards per game gets skewed by a couple factors. The first being the bowl game where it was obvious the team had thrown in the towel. Even if you want to count that game, the numbers are still skewed by Georgia Tech. Miami held the nation's #1 rushing offense to over 100 yards below their season average but still gets penalized for surrendering 200+ yards.

The style of defense does lend it's self to getting gouged for occasional long runs but that's the price you pay for all those tackles for loss and negative plays that fuel our entire team.

Miami was Top 25 in rushing yards per carry given up though. Of course you would have ranked 42nd n “rushing defense” which only goes by how many yards you give up and not taking into account in how many rushes you had to defend to get to that number
I know right. 42 out of 130 is still top 3rd of NCAA, and that's in a bad year. Also taking into account that we played two run heavy teams in BC and GT.

Advertisement
Back