Guys, I'm worried about our run defense

Advertisement
I still have a sour taste in my mouth from when last saw our boys play in which they got sodomized on National TV to the tune of 333 yards on 5.7 ypc. Now, I know that was a meaningless game, and the team was being led by a man who models himself after the title character Bernie in the film Weekend at Bernie's, so I'm willing to give the team some sort of pass.

But there's still other games from last season that lead me to worry. Such as the BC game where we allowed 215 yards on 5.4ypc and the UNC game where we allowed 223 yards on 4.2 ypc. Overall, our average rush yards allowed against P5 opponents was 175 and we gave up 3.8 ypc.

If I understand correctly, the Gators are more talented than teams such as BC, UNC and Wiscy. With that, I'm a bit worried. Can someone please calm me down and say we're going to be alright?

Try Yoga or meditation it will calm you down.

Or if you need a quick solution...hey ever try PCP?

I heard that people that people that do.... don't worry about NOTHING :oops:

Advertisement
I'm curious if Manny's relationship and knowledge of Mullen's system will be more advantageous for us or them? They both know what the other likes to call having worked together for years.
This is actually a great point. I'm surprised the media isn't making this a talking point (as of yet). We know Manny's changed his scheme since he left Miss St. with the striker position. I wonder how much - if at all - Mullen has changed his.

I'm curious if Manny's relationship and knowledge of Mullen's system will be more advantageous for us or them? They both know what the other likes to call having worked together for years.

That's why it's going to be a good game. ****, Diaz is going to go head to head with two of his former bosses, the first two weeks of the season. **** you can Banda and Patke to the list of coaches familiar with Mullen. That's how you start a HC career. Let's see what El Jefe got because Mullen is very familiar with his defense and has more experience as an HC.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Care to elaborate, I realize they're different people, but my understanding was Baker ran the same scheme.
The base of the scheme and philosphy is the same. So it's not really much different but baker does some formation things differently and from that you can bring different blitzes and cause more confusion.

Manny has adapted his defense over the three years he's been here. It's probably the thing I like most about him as a coach. He's willing to adapt and change his style to better suit our talents and our opponents' weaknesses. He takes an analytical approach instead of more traditional, hard headed reliance on a "tried and true" scheme. He will never go down with the ship because he's too prideful to admit what he's doing isn't working. If something isn't working, he looks at it and makes necessary changes. Whereas guys like Richt, Golden and D'Onofrio would blame players for not executing their scheme well enough.

Everything UF does offensively is predicated on the running the football, their passing attack is incredibly subpar & I'm not just being a biased homer Cane when I say that. Simply put, if we stop the run, we beat UF.

What will be interesting to see is how we choose to bring pressure upfront to disrupt Pepe Franks, with our DE rotation of Garvin, Hill, Rousseau, Harvey & Patchan you have to like our ability to use speed off the edge to get to the QB. The key becomes will we just bring 4 & drop 7 in coverage or will we Blitz heavy early on to keep Franks off balance?

Franks passing vs P5 teams was nothing short of below average last year, he was beyond pedestrian, so in order to get their passing game going they're going to try & use our aggression against us with QB runs from both Franks & the packages they used with Emory Jones & a big dose of the screen game with their backs and Kadarius Toney in particular.

I think Diaz/Baker will try to take the pressure off the secondary early on in the game by dialing up some delayed stunt blitzes & throwing a few exotic looks to force Franks to make quicker decisions than he'd like. The one thing about Mullen's offense is it's all about running the ball to set up the pass, then dinking & dunking in the short game to open up lanes for the run. Which means we'll probably be playing a lot of Zone coverages trying to cover the flats & underneath routes, because if they try to beat us with the deep ball that will force Pepe to hold onto it for too long & that pocket will get collapsed quick.

Another big factor in this game is how motivated we are to step out there on that field & whoop some Gaytor ***. Last year in every big game we played this team had absolutely no juice, they were defeated from the coin flip & that was a direct reflection of Richt.

Diaz will have to get this team ready for war the way they were in 2017 when we beat Notre Dame & Va Tech. Our Defense in those back to back weeks were so dialed in & amped up all we needed was average production from the offense, the Defense was just on fire & cutting through like a buzzsaw.

Our Offense should be much better than it was last year, plus we should have much better field position on Punts, so the Defense won't be playing with both hands tied behind their back. If our Offense can gives us some early TD's & let us play with a lead, the Defense can pin their ears back & hunt, but the Offense cannot come out flat not moving the ball, they're going to have to make some big plays in the air & on the ground to keep this from being a repeat of last year.

If the offense stayed on the field more the defense wouldn't be so gassed. Miami was one of the worst P5 teams in 1st down percentage. https://www.canesinsight.com/threads/hidden-points-first-down-percentage.148052/

If the offense has a pulse this year, you'll probably see more of what you saw in 2017 than 2018
This so much, some improvement by the offense so the defense can stay off the field will work wonders. Defense was on the field all night in New York. They eventually broke.

Advertisement
1) 3.8 ypc vs Power 5 is really good.

2) as fans, we should stop focusing so much on the UF game. It's one out of 13 or 14 (or 15!). We did this last year too. All we spoke about the whole offseason was LSU. That was arguably the least important game of the season. We don't even talk about that game now. The season was defined by our losses to subpar ACC teams, and the embarrassment in the bowl game.

I know UF is a rival. But whether we can beat a top ~10 SEC team doesn't really matter right now for this program. We need to be consistently good and beat the medicore teams in the coastal, and win bowl games (1 win in 12 years!).

If we lose to UF and end up 11-3, with a coastal title and a bowl win, it would be a wonderful season.
I'd love to see us beat Florida, but I'm more concerned about how they play. I wan't to see some bite, which has been lacking the last few years except the ND and Virginia Tech games at Hard Rock. After that anything less than playing Clemson in the ACC title game will be a failure.

Advertisement
Slow *** running back. At best he would be the 3rd or 4th most talented back on our roster
Yup. They think he’s a top back bc he can do a lot of different things. I don’t see any area where he’s elite though.

Can't tell if this guy is serious
You really can’t with the gaytor fans because they say some of the craziest shît, like Franks should be a 1st rounder and they’re going to hold us scoreless until the 3rd when they have their walk-ons in the game on 8/24 and they’re up by 30 or 40 points. I usually assume they are serious because they usually are... they’re just hella delusional.

Everything UF does offensively is predicated on the running the football, their passing attack is incredibly subpar & I'm not just being a biased homer Cane when I say that. Simply put, if we stop the run, we beat UF.

What will be interesting to see is how we choose to bring pressure upfront to disrupt Pepe Franks, with our DE rotation of Garvin, Hill, Rousseau, Harvey & Patchan you have to like our ability to use speed off the edge to get to the QB. The key becomes will we just bring 4 & drop 7 in coverage or will we Blitz heavy early on to keep Franks off balance?

Franks passing vs P5 teams was nothing short of below average last year, he was beyond pedestrian, so in order to get their passing game going they're going to try & use our aggression against us with QB runs from both Franks & the packages they used with Emory Jones & a big dose of the screen game with their backs and Kadarius Toney in particular.

I think Diaz/Baker will try to take the pressure off the secondary early on in the game by dialing up some delayed stunt blitzes & throwing a few exotic looks to force Franks to make quicker decisions than he'd like. The one thing about Mullen's offense is it's all about running the ball to set up the pass, then dinking & dunking in the short game to open up lanes for the run. Which means we'll probably be playing a lot of Zone coverages trying to cover the flats & underneath routes, because if they try to beat us with the deep ball that will force Pepe to hold onto it for too long & that pocket will get collapsed quick.

Another big factor in this game is how motivated we are to step out there on that field & whoop some Gaytor ***. Last year in every big game we played this team had absolutely no juice, they were defeated from the coin flip & that was a direct reflection of Richt.

Diaz will have to get this team ready for war the way they were in 2017 when we beat Notre Dame & Va Tech. Our Defense in those back to back weeks were so dialed in & amped up all we needed was average production from the offense, the Defense was just on fire & cutting through like a buzzsaw.

Our Offense should be much better than it was last year, plus we should have much better field position on Punts, so the Defense won't be playing with both hands tied behind their back. If our Offense can gives us some early TD's & let us play with a lead, the Defense can pin their ears back & hunt, but the Offense cannot come out flat not moving the ball, they're going to have to make some big plays in the air & on the ground to keep this from being a repeat of last year.

Posts like these you’re hitting your stride and in the zone.

Nicely done.

Advertisement
Back