Guys, I'm worried about our run defense

streetja

UM HC: Miami Natives Only 😎
I still have a sour taste in my mouth from when last saw our boys play in which they got sodomized on National TV to the tune of 333 yards on 5.7 ypc. Now, I know that was a meaningless game, and the team was being led by a man who models himself after the title character Bernie in the film Weekend at Bernie's, so I'm willing to give the team some sort of pass.

But there's still other games from last season that lead me to worry. Such as the BC game where we allowed 215 yards on 5.4ypc and the UNC game where we allowed 223 yards on 4.2 ypc. Overall, our average rush yards allowed against P5 opponents was 175 and we gave up 3.8 ypc.

If I understand correctly, the Gators are more talented than teams such as BC, UNC and Wiscy. With that, I'm a bit worried. Can someone please calm me down and say we're going to be alright?

Advertisement
Advertisement
Boston College ran all over everybody last season, and the Wisconsin game was embarrassing on both sides of the field but they're a ground and pound team with a tough O-line and we were missing Gerald Willis. The UNC game was won so easily that I'm not sure it's a relevant comparison. UF is losing 4 starters and returns 2 major contributors to their O-Line, they're not going to be as good as Wisconsin's line was, and Perine is good but he's not as good as Jonathan Taylor if that makes you feel better.

A lot of our issues came from bad field position from our stagnant offense and awful punting. Our defense was constantly on the field and even though we weren't a team that got easily fatigued, we just faced too many snaps and made mistakes. We could have beaten Boston college if our offense was just a little bit more successful, and we could have done the same to Duke and Virginia as well. Also teams like Boston college threw their Kitchen sink at us when they played us using trick plays that really hurt our defensive plan.

Overall, we are susceptible to giving up big gains on the ground, its just the nature of our aggressive defense. I'm concerned we won't be able to have great run-stopping tackles this season, so that could compound the issues of our scheme. I hope our safeties and corners are just as sure tacklers as they have been the past two years as well, Jaquan was our leading tackler last year, I'm pretty sure. But as long as our offense is better and the defense isn't riddled with injuries, our run defense shouldn't be our downfall

It's a legit concern.

Our DLine will be strong on the edges. There's certainly depth in the middle, but there isn't that proven, consistent talent there.

Jon Ford & Silvera *need* to step up.

Thus the reason I laugh when so many of our fans think we are stellar at DT. What would we have been last year without one in particular interior DL?

I know, it wasn't ALLLLL Gerald Willis....but it **** sure was mostly Gerald Willis. That's scary to think how reliant we were on one guy....not so much to put a warm body on the line, but a proven dominant producer. Thanks to prior coaching, we are in the same boat with Bethel...who has been respectable, but is he ready to dominate? Love Ford's potential, but that is what it is at this point.....behind those 2? Well, I'm just glad we got UCLA for 1 year at least.

To be MORE than fair....this should be a real concern and hopefully a pleasant surprise if we can stay healthy and the young bulls can step up.
The ball will coming up the middle early and often to test our "unproven soft spot", if our linebackers fill nicely, they will start trying to go under our DEs viciously getting upfield.

Advertisement
I still have a sour taste in my mouth from when last saw our boys play in which they got sodomized on National TV to the tune of 333 yards on 5.7 ypc. Now, I know that was a meaningless game, and the team was being led by a man who models himself after the title character Bernie in the film Weekend at Bernie's, so I'm willing to give the team some sort of pass.

But there's still other games from last season that lead me to worry. Such as the BC game where we allowed 215 yards on 5.4ypc and the UNC game where we allowed 223 yards on 4.2 ypc. Overall, our average rush yards allowed against P5 opponents was 175 and we gave up 3.8 ypc.

If I understand correctly, the Gators are more talented than teams such as BC, UNC and Wiscy. With that, I'm a bit worried. Can someone please calm me down and say we're going to be alright?

Dude The Wisky RB was the best in the nation. UF lost most of their OL from last year. I don't see us giving up that much to them IMO.

Jonathan Taylor
  • YDS
    1st
  • TD
    Tied-8th
  • AVG

...Can someone please calm me down and say we're going to be alright?

Advertisement
There is not a lot to criticize of mannys defense but 2 things that bother me are the run defense and how far the corners are in short and passing situations. I’m definitely not calling for a 2 gap system obviously but i wish we had some gap integrity especially from the linebackers. Also on passing situations the corners are far back especially on the slot. It’s basically an easy pitch and catch for 5 yards or more if the defender doesn’t make the tackle. I know that’s nitpicking but just something I’m not a fan of. Also I’m just a football fan, not a coach or anything so maybe I’m not understanding the philosophy.

Advertisement
UF doesn't run the ball better than Wisky and BC had a future pro bowl RB we were dealing with. But yes, we need to stop the **** run.. No doubt about it.
Thought the Gators rushing offense would be tough to beat but sure enough Wiscy was better last year. Still though, averaging 230 yards per game at 5ypc against P5 opponents is nothing to sneeze at by the Gator.

Both Wisconsin and Boston college had top 5 offensive lines last years as well as 2 of the top 5 backs in the country. Uf is NO WHERE NEAR as talented on oline or at rb as those 2 schools. In addition to that only giving up 3.8 ypc is Very good actually top 25 in the country in 2018. Furthermore pitt had a top oline last year with a top 15 rushing offense in the country and in the previous 4 games before playing Miami averaged 325 yards a game. They had 38 rushes for 69 yards

Advertisement
Back