Guys, I'm worried about our run defense

Thought the Gators rushing offense would be tough to beat but sure enough Wiscy was better last year. Still though, averaging 230 yards per game at 5ypc against P5 opponents is nothing to sneeze at by the Gator.
They lost 4 starting lineman

Advertisement
1) 3.8 ypc vs Power 5 is really good.

2) as fans, we should stop focusing so much on the UF game. It's one out of 13 or 14 (or 15!). We did this last year too. All we spoke about the whole offseason was LSU. That was arguably the least important game of the season. We don't even talk about that game now. The season was defined by our losses to subpar ACC teams, and the embarrassment in the bowl game.

I know UF is a rival. But whether we can beat a top ~10 SEC team doesn't really matter right now for this program. We need to be consistently good and beat the medicore teams in the coastal, and win bowl games (1 win in 12 years!).

If we lose to UF and end up 11-3, with a coastal title and a bowl win, it would be a wonderful season.

2) as fans, we should stop focusing so much on the UF game. It's one out of 13 or 14 (or 15!). We did this last year too. All we spoke about the whole offseason was LSU. That was arguably the least important game of the season. We don't even talk about that game now. The season was defined by our losses to subpar ACC teams, and the embarrassment in the bowl game.

I know UF is a rival. But whether we can beat a top ~10 SEC team doesn't really matter right now for this program. We need to be consistently good and beat the medicore teams in the coastal, and win bowl games (1 win in 12 years!).

If we lose to UF and end up 11-3, with a coastal title and a bowl win, it would be a wonderful season.
But the LSU game undoubtedly informed us that we were in for a dumpster fire of a season. There will be signs to pick up from the UF game outside of just winning or losing

Advertisement
I just watched the Wisconsin bowl game for the first time. Couldn’t watch it live and then didn’t really have any desire to watch a replay after seeing the score.

This board gave a total false impression of what happened that game. The board made it sound like they ran for 200 yards and 4 scores in the first half.

After a rough first drive, manny adjusted and shut them down until the end of the third quarter. Our defense was totally gassed by the fourth quarter and half the yardage probably came from that quarter alone.

We have stud LBs the run d will be fine.

We:
giphy.gif

Can't handoff the ball if the QB is on his back.

Advertisement

That sounds totally reasonable. But, youre on a fan site talking about something more than "a rival." It's "the Gator." I'd guess youre less than 34 years old and didn't develop the deep-seated hatred for that disgusting program and its fans.

Also, that LSU game was relevant. It was a peek into how we'd play against certain teams and styles. That glimpse became a nightmare against lesser teams.

Perine would be 4th on our depth chart at RB. He’d be the slowest RB on the roster. He is nowhere near the talent of wisky’s Taylor . Our 4 year starting LBs have played against much better. Perine’s strength is breaking arm tackles. Our LBs don’t arm tackle. They won’t have trouble chasing him down.

The UF OL lacks talent compared to ours. They are nowhere near at LSU’s level last season. So in essence the UM defense has been practicing against superior OL’s and RB’s all offseason. I’m not worried about the Gators running the ball consistently. The only way I see them having any success running will be if they can establish the quick passing game.

Now, our offense was a huge reason why the defense gave up run yards. They were gassed late in several games. The offense can’t possibly be as inept as it was last season. Add in the fact that there’s zero tape on our offense. The Gators will be guessing at least for the 1st half. So it’s highly unlikely the UM defense will be gassed come the 4th quarter.

Advertisement
Our defense actually stops the rush short most of the time. We give up chunk yards on the ground due to our aggressive style but when you take away the big runs, we aren’t being pounded (bowl game aside)

Advertisement
The defense mailed it in for the bowl game. I'm not really concerned about that. The BC game was ugly though. It's the only "bad" game the defense played. UNC racked up ground yardage but surrendering rushing yards when your up 30 is fine. You're playing to prevent the big gain through the air so if the opponent wants to nickle and dime you with clock eating running plays, you take it.

I still have a sour taste in my mouth from when last saw our boys play in which they got sodomized on National TV to the tune of 333 yards on 5.7 ypc. Now, I know that was a meaningless game, and the team was being led by a man who models himself after the title character Bernie in the film Weekend at Bernie's, so I'm willing to give the team some sort of pass.

But there's still other games from last season that lead me to worry. Such as the BC game where we allowed 215 yards on 5.4ypc and the UNC game where we allowed 223 yards on 4.2 ypc. Overall, our average rush yards allowed against P5 opponents was 175 and we gave up 3.8 ypc.

If I understand correctly, the Gators are more talented than teams such as BC, UNC and Wiscy. With that, I'm a bit worried. Can someone please calm me down and say we're going to be alright?

I'm not worried at all.

Advertisement
Back