Getting word Scott Patchan........

Silver lining of this is he'll still be a freshman next year, unless Al Golden screwed up his freshman eligibility. IMO, he should've redshirted last year without playing a down. This year he can apply for a medical red shirt.

Nope, the medical redshirt is for athletes who are injured during the season, not the spring. Don't confuse it with the rare sixth year of elegibility that requires the loss of two entire seasons due to documented medical issues.

How to Get a Medical Redshirt

Frank Gore hurt his knee in the spring of 2002 and was granted a medical redshirt by the NCAA...

Advertisement
Honestly, I've seen both. Sometimes a dudes knee will buckle from non-contact and he will hear a pop, likely tearing acl, but be able
to walk with a slight limp immediately after. Other times maybe a contact hit, where its a little more brutal you might tear some cartilage and pop your acl. Then your *** be on crutches most likely.

so, do we have a confirmation?

where is Ariz? Geo? Ted Hendricks? LuCane? and the other porsters with inside connections?

Advertisement
Didn't Berrios tear his ACL and kept playing the rest of the year in high school? It's possible to walk on it then.

You don't need an ACL to walk. You just need it when the knee twists when you are in motion. If his knee didn't swell after the re-tear, he would be able to walk.

You don't need an ACL to walk. You just need it when the knee twists when you are in motion. If his knee didn't swell after the re-tear, he would be able to walk.
yup, if there was no swelling he wouldn't need crutches

Advertisement
I've torn both ACLs. The left knee I couldn't walk without crutches because the ligament was stuck in the knee cap. The right knee I could walk fine and went back in the game for several plays until the knee buckled. Still could walk on it and did until surgery. It all depends on the severity of the tear and if anything else, such as meniscus tear, also fellas.

We all hope Scott gets better soon. His brother had the same problems. I hope he wears braces on both knees if he comes back with his genetics. Hopefully Frank Gore will call him and mentor him. Scott is a talented kid.

you can see him walking around in the background of pictures from today's proday. don't think i saw his knee wrapped or anything.

I know McGahee tore one in HS - not sure about Gore - he set all sort of records in Dade, so I'd be surprised if he had a tear in HS....

It would've been nice to see Gore play at Miami injury-free - well, besides the little bit he played as a RS freshman - with a 9.1 YPC average.....(I think that's right)....

In addition to the two acl tears with us, I believe Gore also tore one in high school. His longetivity in the NFL is amazing.

It would've been nice to see Gore play at Miami injury-free - well, besides the little bit he played as a RS freshman - with a 9.1 YPC average.....(I think that's right)....

In addition to the two acl tears with us, I believe Gore also tore one in high school. His longetivity in the NFL is amazing.

Gore was a true freshman with a 9.3 ypc. Absolute freak. He redshirted the following year because of the knee injury.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Andrew Ferrelli ‏@Andrew_Ferrelli 3h3 hours ago
Patchan is walking around at a restaurant, would he be doing that if he did tear his ACL this morning? Probably not

He definitely could be. That's not proof.

I've torn mine as well as meniscus... You can absolutely walk on torn acl. In fact, I was told by my doc that I didnt necessarily need surgery if I didnt want it. Dont mean any thing.

Advertisement
PBPost just said he's out for the spring......did not say how long.

Would've been nice to see how good Najeh could've been - he wasn't the same after his knee was blown out again Ohio St....

Gore was a true freshman with a 9.3 ypc. Absolute freak. He redshirted the following year because of the knee injury.

Silver lining of this is he'll still be a freshman next year, unless Al Golden screwed up his freshman eligibility. IMO, he should've redshirted last year without playing a down. This year he can apply for a medical red shirt.

Nope, the medical redshirt is for athletes who are injured during the season, not the spring. Don't confuse it with the rare sixth year of elegibility that requires the loss of two entire seasons due to documented medical issues.

How to Get a Medical Redshirt

Frank Gore hurt his knee in the spring of 2002 and was granted a medical redshirt by the NCAA...

Where do you come up with that conclusion? He doesn't have to get injured during the season. If a student athlete can be granted a medical redshirt for an injury during their senior season of HS they can get one for spring practice.

Patchan will get his RS

If he hasn't already taken any snaps during the season, he doesn't need any medical waiver to take a redshirt. Everybody is given five years to play four.

Advertisement
Back