Getting word Scott Patchan........

Advertisement
Hope it's not the same knee. That would mean that he would have to get a cadaver ACL this time and those re-tear at around 30%.

I didn't realize cadaver was more prone to retear. Did mine 6 years ago. Has held up great even as a fat bball player. lol

That's what the Eagles team doctor told me. He strongly recommended the patella (8%) over hamstring (16-22%) and cadaver (30-33%). Who knows? Everyone is different. If they could just figure out how to repair the ACL, recovery would be weeks instead of 8-12 months and Patchen would be in the FSU backfield this season instead of next.

Advertisement
That's what the Eagles team doctor told me. He strongly recommended the patella (8%) over hamstring (16-22%) and cadaver (30-33%). Who knows? Everyone is different. If they could just figure out how to repair the ACL, recovery would be weeks instead of 8-12 months and Patchen would be in the FSU backfield this season instead of next.

"they" are working on it.

Bridge-Enhanced ACL Repair Study | Anterior Cruciate Ligament (ACL) Program*|*Boston Children's Hospital

Silver lining of this is he'll still be a freshman next year, unless Al Golden screwed up his freshman eligibility. IMO, he should've redshirted last year without playing a down. This year he can apply for a medical red shirt.

Nope, the medical redshirt is for athletes who are injured during the season, not the spring. Don't confuse it with the rare sixth year of elegibility that requires the loss of two entire seasons due to documented medical issues.

How to Get a Medical Redshirt

Advertisement
Where do you come up with that conclusion? He doesn't have to get injured during the season. If a student athlete can be granted a medical redshirt for an injury during their senior season of HS they can get one for spring practice.

Patchan will get his RS

Having had multiple acls on both knees and cadavers in both now, I would hope it's the same knee.
If they use the cadaver it's a much easier rehab . Tore my right knee twice and was fine, but once I tore
The left one I lost any quicks or jumping I had period. Which is why to me, Frank Gore and Terry Allen are so remarkable. Rbs
That tore acls in both. Im obviously no Fran gore.

The patella surgery to me was the worst. Cadavers all the way.
Only way to insure not re tearing acl is to make your quads freaking huge. But that's very
Hard to do.

Last edited:
In addition to the two acl tears with us, I believe Gore also tore one in high school. His longetivity in the NFL is amazing.

Advertisement
His career is toast. 2 acls don't bode well

Maybe, but I wouldn't say definite, tho. Frank Gore and Thomas Davis can vouch for that. Now, I realize that's just 2 dudes, outta probably a million (don't know for sure), but it can happen.

Advertisement
Andrew Ferrelli ‏@Andrew_Ferrelli 3h3 hours ago
Patchan is walking around at a restaurant, would he be doing that if he did tear his ACL this morning? Probably not

Their are inherited disorders of connective tissue that can make people more likely to tear ligaments.Given that his brother Matt was injured all the time in a similar way I wonder if Scott make have joint hypermobility which is an inherited condition. If I am recruiting 2 players of equal ability and one is double jointed I would take the other guy.

In addition to the two acl tears with us, I believe Gore also tore one in high school. His longetivity in the NFL is amazing.

Uhhh, nah he was healthy as a horse at CG and they worked him like one especially. I'm of the belief that maybe his workload in HS may have contributed in some way to the ACL tears at The U. Still amazing how he recovered and is still in the midst of an arguably HOF pro career.

Advertisement
Back