From the Perch: Rhett Lashlee Part 3

View as article
Roman what is Donaldson's ideal playing weight, which gives him mobility, but should still maintain his strength which is needed at that position?.
How much would he have to lose?....

Advertisement
I’m with you, Roman.

I get tired of people throwing in the towel just because we face adversity along the way. When the defense is getting after you, any scheme can struggle.

There is no magic scheme that never loses. But there are many ways to give your team a fighting chance. I’m hoping Lashlee is the guy who makes solutions, not excuses.

I mean, you have to look at it in many parts. And you are correct, no magic scheme, or everyone would run it. But here are some reasons that I have been very vocal about an uptempo spread here.

1. The tempo would finally utilize a built in South Florida humidity advantage
  2. Familiarity, kids in high schools down here operate primarily in spread offenses
  3. Much more simplistic in premise which focuses on the counter and while adhering to familiarity
  4. Upped play counts give more play makers opportunities to make plays (less unhappy portal hoppers)
  5. Easier to identify blitzes seeing defenders are further away in space thus cushioning the need to find absolute studs along the offensive line (remember my stat that Clemson has not had a single offensive linemen drafted since 2014)
  6. Aligns with the rest of the country (top 25 offenses are littered with spread teams and the top 4 playoff teams were spread variants)
This move to a spread is so long overdue. Does it equivocate to instant success? No. But it finally will get the offense on a level playing field with the advantages I listed above.

Roman what is Donaldson's ideal playing weight, which gives him mobility, but should still maintain his strength which is needed at that position?.
How much would he have to lose?....

That 360 plus weight I think that was listed is probably not it. Every body archetype is different. But Lashlee does have his linemen pull a ton and the tempo would definitely lead me to believe that 30 plus pounds would be a floor.

That 360 plus weight I think that was listed is probably not it. Every body archetype is different. But Lashlee does have his linemen pull a ton and the tempo would definitely lead me to believe that 30 plus pounds would be a floor.
Thanks............ that is close to the ballpark of what the Clemson and LSU players looked like to my untrained eye...........
Hopefully this should improve performance, along with game experience.
We need it for 2020

Advertisement
Back