From the Perch: Rhett Lashlee Part 3

Advertisement
To be quite honest im going to stick with his recent work at SMU. Reason being I went into Alabama film when enos was hired to do my "due diligence" but reality was his last stop as a play caller was the better tell.

Enos was way more Arkansas based than Alabama.

In terms of lashlee his influence under sunny dykes wasn't in place at uconn. So I think his more recent work will paint the better picture

Is a two year stint with Dykes really enough for him to grasp the air raid enough to really implement it... or is this a Locksley/Enos situation again?

Is a two year stint with Dykes really enough for him to grasp the air raid enough to really implement it... or is this a Locksley/Enos situation again?

Not really close to be honest. Enos didn't call plays at Alabama the year before he came to the U. Lashlee called 2 seasons at SMU and you see the air raid influence he picked up.

It's not a full blown mike leach air raid mind you. It's more of a multiple formation uptempo spread with air raid ideologies infused.

Man is only 1 -13 teams who averaged over 40 points last year. I don't really think he's going to abandon all that he's learned last year.

It really doesn't take long at all for these coordinators to pick up the Air Raid. They seem to learn it and move on quickly to shred D's all over CFB. Notice how quickly the QB's seem to pick it up as well.

Advertisement
hahahaha. Nerds....lol. Yeah that was simply a bonus keep the mic on type deal. But honestly if there is ONE i can interest you in. Go back and listen to the Malik Rosier interview in studio. That was really quite an eye opener and honestly changed my opinion of Malik forever.

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/obb-ep-24-rose-the-gang/id1445482395?i=1000431681966
Great insight and podcast. What I basically got out of it were 3 things:
1) Richt was surprisingly a poor communicator.
2) The optimism for the Diaz regime before the season is borderline tragic
3) and most striking, Rosier does not give the QB room (JW,NK)his endorsement prior to the season b/c of maturity and work ethic in terms of playbook study. Stated the QB must be on the same page as the coordinator. Proved prophetic.

@Roman Marciante whats your overalls opinion about lashee and this offense. I know you had reservations about Enos but any about this guy??

It's a wide open style that Miami needed to implement years ago. It limits the stress on the offensive line by beating the national average for ball out by a qb. It's space it's pace. I'm a fan.

Reservations? When we face a strong dl and press corners. (And when the qb is off his game)

Seeing his offense get blown out by FAU is not very reassuring. We just lost to FIU and La Tech so I don't take the talent argument too well.

Seems like it was the defense that blown out. The offense had pretty good production. I just think it will help compensate for some of the talent gap until Miami can start recruiting better. Lashlee and the new OL coach can both recruit supposedly. Hickson had two top end recruits. Fields is known for recruiting. Stubblefield is the only question left on offense.

Advertisement
I'm interested to see how Lashlee handles the grip change Enos did to Tate. Hopefully Tate goes back to what is comfortable for him holding/throwing the ball. Looking through Tate's old tape from Gorman or even OSU he never had a wobbly ball problem. Doesn't have the strongest arm but he does know how to operate the spread.

Seems like it was the defense that blown out. The offense had pretty good production. I just think it will help compensate for some of the talent gap until Miami can start recruiting better. Lashlee and the new OL coach can both recruit supposedly. Hickson had two top end recruits. Fields is known for recruiting. Stubblefield is the only question left on offense.

I'm not guaranteeing a bad offense in 2020, but I'm not feeling much optimism. When a team scores 52 points on you,that means your offense gets handed back the ball 7 times. Half of those times, Lashlee scored. Against FAU.

It's a wide open style that Miami needed to implement years ago. It limits the stress on the offensive line by beating the national average for ball out by a qb. It's space it's pace. I'm a fan.

Reservations? When we face a strong dl and press corners. (And when the qb is off his game)

Basically the **** that makes any offense without elite quarterback play struggle.

Got it.

Not sure if you mentioned it Roman, but that was one of the windiest CFB games played this season...18-22mph with occasional gusts up near 30. Not easy for a team that was top 5 in the nation in deep passing.

Advertisement
Basically the **** that makes any offense without elite quarterback play struggle.

Got it.

Lots of things you can do. Memphis game you sensed the defensive line had the advantage vs smu. Lashlee called the game like he knew what he had. Changed the launch position. Ball out quick.

No surprise we held the defensive advantage vs fiu but fiu gave up zero sacks. Smu lost bad to Fau but no sacks given up.

You can work around being disadvantaged vs a great defensive line. Qb for smu though was 50% and missed some shots. That hurt.

And press? You can beat it too. Lots of man beaters. My concern is a concern. Nothing more.

I can see a little clearer if it's scheme (3rd and 10 and your oc calls a play action pass play from 13 set) vs missed guys.

Fau was a missed guys and execution.

Lots of things you can do. Memphis game you sensed the defensive line had the advantage vs smu. Lashlee called the game like he knew what he had. Changed the launch position. Ball out quick.

No surprise we held the defensive advantage vs fiu but fiu gave up zero sacks. Smu lost bad to Fau but no sacks given up.

You can work around being disadvantaged vs a great defensive line. Qb for smu though was 50% and missed some shots. That hurt.

And press? You can beat it too. Lots of man beaters. My concern is a concern. Nothing more.

I can see a little clearer if it's scheme (3rd and 10 and your oc calls a play action pass play from 13 set) vs missed guys.

Dan Enos flashbacks intensify

My biggest reservations about this offense. Is our OL quick enough to run it. They do not have to be pan cake blockers but do have to be quick enough to get in the way of who they are assigned to block

Advertisement
So, @Roman Marciante there comes a time where you need to grind out clock and slow things down...have you seen many or any times that Lashlee had one of those drives?

They won't necessarily huddle in those instances either, but consider this;

Miami time of possession with a huddle averaged 30:14 in time of possession.

SMU time of possession with no huddle and running close to 200 more plays on the year?
28:52

LSU in time of possession was right in the middle
30:04

This time of possession thing might be a overstated preference and doesn't correlate to mandated success. However scoring points does.

In we need to grind this out to win scenario? Lashlee looks the type to score now and let the defense figure it out.

I’m with you, Roman.

I get tired of people throwing in the towel just because we face adversity along the way. When the defense is getting after you, any scheme can struggle.

There is no magic scheme that never loses. But there are many ways to give your team a fighting chance. I’m hoping Lashlee is the guy who makes solutions, not excuses.

Advertisement
Back