From the Perch: Rhett Lashlee Part 3

View as article

Roman Marciante

Sophomore
Premium
Part three in the Rhett Lashlee series and let's focus on things when they just don't quite go your way. Despite gaining 425 yards on the day, SMU lost to FAU 52-28. Conveniently for the Owls this was a home game when you consider it was the Boca Raton Bowl. I tried to focus heavily this week on how Lashlee uses quick perimeter passes as an extension of the run game. You can also see the stress alleviated off the offensive line in a couple clips when simply the quarterback doesn't hold on to the ball too long. (In 2019 SMU gave up 34 fewer sacks than Miami despite nearly 200 more plays)

Here are some random thoughts and take away points after watching this game
  • Offense stalled out on a few drives simply by not winning its one on one match-ups (Held scoreless in the 1st and 3rd quarters)
  • Quarterback missed several wide open deep shots
  • The gold standard question of "Did my quarterback do enough to help us win this ball game?" question would be answered no this week
  • Wide Receivers were not creating separation at times and FAU corner-backs were often very aggressive in coverage
  • Heavy RPO utilization in which wide receivers were correctly identified and open
  • Scored three times this game utilizing 32 set personnel along the goal-line (One was play action jump pass)
  • I make the case why a mobile option QB capable of keeping the zone read would be super effective in this offense
  • Trick plays were apparent and uniquely well done
  • A couple untimely turnovers (QB held the ball a split second too long) put SMU in a bind
  • I have said this multiple times but the SMU QB is a decent little QB, nothing more, nothing less
  • FAU did a pretty good job limiting the big over the top touchdown
  • Lashlee once again proved he has a premium on his quarterbacks not holding the ball too long
  • FAU recorded 0 sacks on the game and only 3 tackles for a loss
  • SMU defense this game was atrocious
  • SMU offensive line is much better not operating on different levels and handled stunts well (clip included)

As always thank you for following along and remember to subscribe on the YouTube channel. Thank you InSight crew.

Advertisement
On the @orangebowlboys this week my esteemed co host Scoop said "Donaldson is going to hate this system" lulz

I actually listened to your podcast for the first time other day , pretty good stuff. I tried to listen to the one prior but it was all Star Wars talk. No thanks NERDS!!! But yeah , it’s in my podcast lineup now. I’ll be checking it out more, minus the Star Wars of course.

Last edited:
Advertisement
On the @orangebowlboys this week my esteemed co host Scoop said "Donaldson is going to hate this system" lulz
I honestly wouldn’t be surprised to see him leave.
He either needs to move in with Feely this off-season or show far more drive and self-control that in the past 3 years.

I actually listened to your podcast for the first time other day , pretty good stuff. I tried to listen to the one prior but it was all Star Wars talk. No thanks NERDS!!! But yeah , it’s in my podcast lineup now. I’ll be checking it out more, minus the Star Wars of course.

hahahaha. Nerds....lol. Yeah that was simply a bonus keep the mic on type deal. But honestly if there is ONE i can interest you in. Go back and listen to the Malik Rosier interview in studio. That was really quite an eye opener and honestly changed my opinion of Malik forever.

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/obb-ep-24-rose-the-gang/id1445482395?i=1000431681966

Advertisement
Advertisement
Donaldson will have to drop a ton of weight or there’s no chance he can pull and cover the ground needed. Then mix in the tempo.

Losing thirty or forty pounds is the minimum needed

He needs to lose weight if for no other reason than he’s morbidly obese and he’s at risk of dying young.

Young man should put his health first and foremost. No game is worth getting diabetes or dying of a heart attack over.

Forgive me if you already mentioned this, but I remember you saying that Orlovsky would be on the podcast soon to talk about Lashlee and his thoughts on our new offense’s potential. Is that still happening?

Advertisement
Forgive me if you already mentioned this, but I remember you saying that Orlovsky would be on the podcast soon to talk about Lashlee and his thoughts on our new offense’s potential. Is that still happening?

Last second he pulled out. He's been on two other times with us. Confirmed on Twitter that he was coming on then got busy in the big studio.

Donaldson will have to drop a ton of weight or there’s no chance he can pull and cover the ground needed. Then mix in the tempo.

Losing thirty or forty pounds is the minimum needed
I'm shocked he's this soft. Wouldn't shock me if he's in the portal soon. To be that big and not aggressive at all is beyond sad

Advertisement
Back