Confirmed Frank Ponce hired as QB Coach

Advertisement

Rick Rude Wrestling GIF by WWE

This was spoken into existence by this board.

tonight show poetry GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

All of it was. All the while, those of us who demanded it and spoke it into existence for years were denigrated and called mopes and questioned about whether we got a degree at UM by some others on the board.

Us mopes are still waiting for our apologies and thank you's.

Advertisement
Despite being a QB coach I’m more intrigued with the intel he can bring for installing some aspects of that outside zone running game. Best rushing attack in college football is the Satterfield system

Mix it with what Gattis is running, our weapons and backs, a Mario/Mirabal offensive line.. should form an elite running game
Our coaches (now at Utah St) said it was the hardest offense to defend.

Let me ask you this. Which of his friends do you believe are not really, really good coaches, assuming they are his friends? If he has assembled a group of coaching friends who all live to the same high standard then we not only want Mario, we want his friends. Looks to me like Mario has done an unbelievable job of maintaining relationships within coaching of people he has worked with, and has an eye for which of those people are good enough that he wants them on his staff.
I do not see this is as a Golden-D’nofrio situation because all of the guys Mario has hired at UM have had great success, and most without being on Mario’s staff. From Oregon all we have is the DL coach, OL coach and S&C coach. That’s not a

Let me ask you this. Which of his friends do you believe are not really, really good coaches, assuming they are his friends? If he has assembled a group of coaching friends who all live to the same high standard then we not only want Mario, we want his friends. Looks to me like Mario has done an unbelievable job of maintaining relationships within coaching of people he has worked with, and has an eye for which of those people are good enough that he wants them on his staff.
I do not see this is as a Golden-D’nofrio situation because all of the guys Mario has hired at UM have had great success, and most without being on Mario’s staff. From Oregon all we have is the DL coach, OL coach and S&C coach. That’s not a lot.
yes sir u are probably right!!! u see it everywhere in life one guy slacks off n never gets fired!! oh well who to **** I'm to say!!

Because even without that title, the QB room has TVD and Jake Garcia in it. If they ball out, he'll get juice regardless.

I know some will make "bro" jokes about this, but I don't understand the complaints about this hire. The guy was an OC. He's a great asset to us as a QB coach.
I agree that he is a great asset for the offense and QB’s. Just hope he isn’t elevated to OC next year if Gattis were to leave.

Advertisement
As a QB Coach, very solid hire. His work with Chase Brice alone shows he knows what he's doing.

Didn't want him as OC, but great job by Mario getting him to take a demotion in role to come here from App St

Advertisement
Cartoon Popcorn GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

Me waiting for the board to comment
i dont know enough about him to say yes or no
but based on all of marios previous hires im on board
no more shopping at dollar tree for our coaches we upgraded baby we shopping at target hahahahahaha

Advertisement
Some great spin zones going on in here. App states offense scored 10 points against Miami and 16 points in 2021. So either 1. Diaz’s defense is good, 2. ponce stinks, or 3. it’s because of the talent gap.

1. We all know Diaz’s defense isn’t good unless it’s generating turnovers.

2. Ponce stinks

3. Talent gap is possible, but if so that explains why chase Brice saw a dramatic improvement in his numbers going from P5 ACC to G5 Sun belt.

The three main guys ponce has worked with are.

1. Taylor Lamb 2014 - 2017 - no real development numbers wise.

2. Malik Cunningham 2019 - 2020 - saw his numbers go down in his second year working with Ponce

3. Chase Brice - see above

If Ponce wasn’t a Miami guy and him and Mario didn’t have a prior relationship he wouldn’t even be a candidate here.

Attachments

• 48B4278F-91B4-44AA-B889-678229A989CD.jpeg
    48B4278F-91B4-44AA-B889-678229A989CD.jpeg
    202.5 KB · Views: 30
  • 70EE3951-6C93-43C5-99F6-1BA738A485C3.jpeg
    70EE3951-6C93-43C5-99F6-1BA738A485C3.jpeg
    203.1 KB · Views: 30
A+ hire as strictly as QB coach

He was pretty good Play calling OC at App state and like others have already said he made Chase freaking Brice look “good”…. @JayCane20 also has a great point about him maybe helping with the run game with those Satterfield run concept wrinkles I’m sure he has in his playbook

Advertisement
Back