Confirmed Frank Ponce hired as QB Coach

A few things:

1. It reflects poorly because he’s the QB coach, no doubt.
2. I’m actually unaware if that’s a real title (passing coordinator) or one of those so he can make more $. The formations and pass concepts look awfully similar to what Gattis previously showed. If it’s Ponce, then allow me to raise my hand that I hate them. There’s often zero spacing. But, I really don’t know and am not in the building.
3. I’m not saying Jake looks ‘great’ or he’ll even do well if given a chance. I actually think he’s likely also to struggle in our current form of offense. But, he doesnt look worse technically. Perhaps Ponce tried to change TVD and ignored Jake? Is that the argument?

You all are adamant. Perhaps you know something I don’t about the responsibilities in the building. I didn’t think Ponce would be a disaster as a *QB coach* (not OC). Thought he’d actually be a net positive (I wouldnt say great) to give at least some perspective to Gattis, who I was always concerned about. If it’s a total failure, I’ve got no problem raising my hand. Thanks for the response.
I've always wondered about #2 myself. I think I assumed it was about $$ and perhaps "face" given he was the OC at App State.....

Advertisement
I've always wondered about #2 myself. I think I assumed it was about $$ and perhaps "face" given he was the OC at App State.....
Can gattis or ponce please start utilizing 21 personnel consistently ? Get Parrish & Knighton the ball as receivers to give the qb a safety blanket.

Perhaps. For many years, my rule on position coaches (I’ve said this ab DB coaches and OL coaches, mainly), because I know a few of them personally, is I don’t judge them on anything but the technique. The rest gets bumped up to the coordinator because it’s presumably his system and a lot (production) flows from what’s being asked.

On the technical side, TVD’s feet look worse, his throwing motion looks different (mostly because of the hesitation), and he now seems to have the yips on even some easy throws. It’s completely fair to blame Ponce on those things if he’s the one responsible. Up to this point, I was wrong on thinking he’d help bring us something as a QB coach. Maybe that changes. Doesn’t look optimistic right now.
From my eyes I see his footwork being pretty similar to last year when he was successful and also unsuccessful. When he feels pressure things really fly off the rails and this year he seems to have mental pressure every snap. His arm angles do look a little more traditional to me on average. Not sure if this is affecting his accuracy or not and I may also be flat out wrong.

I didn’t like the ponce hire at all but I don’t believe his downfall has much to do with ponce. As I alluded to before he seems to get rattled somewhat easily and his fundamentals are spotty afterwards. He was just as awful last year against FSU we just had some dudes make plays

A few things:

1. It reflects poorly because he’s the QB coach, no doubt.
2. I’m actually unaware if that’s a real title (passing coordinator) or one of those so he can make more $. The formations and pass concepts look awfully similar to what Gattis previously showed. If it’s Ponce, then allow me to raise my hand that I hate them. There’s often zero spacing. But, I really don’t know and am not in the building.
3. I’m not saying Jake looks ‘great’ or he’ll even do well if given a chance. I actually think he’s likely also to struggle in our current form of offense. But, he doesnt look worse technically. Perhaps Ponce tried to change TVD and ignored Jake? Is that the argument?

You all are adamant. Perhaps you know something I don’t about the responsibilities in the building. I didn’t think Ponce would be a disaster as a *QB coach* (not OC). Thought he’d actually be a net positive (I wouldnt say great) to give at least some perspective to Gattis, who I was always concerned about. If it’s a total failure, I’ve got no problem raising my hand. Thanks for the response.

We have a very strange habit as a fanbase to blame the coaches for everything...and to be fair, we've hired some legit duds that absolutely stink or are past expiration...but at this point, we have a staff filled with national championship coaches, multiple conference championship winning coaches, guys that have been awarded as the best in their area of expertise in college football...and our fanbase still absolves the players, even though the same players took Ls to FIU, Duke, and LaTech b2b2b...these same players had nearly 70 points and 1000 yards of offense on'em by UNC...but its STILL the coaches?

They absolutely have blame to accept for the loss to MTSU and aTm...but the reality is these players are not what many here think they are.

All of those propaganda reports over the summer about how well oiled of a machine this team was...garbage. People are just doomposting...and as a reformed mope (I just don't care that much anymore...I felt nothing during the loss to MTSU...like I said, this same group took Ls to FIU and LaTech...this L shocks me none)...I understand where they are coming from...Mario has warts and those warts are on full display in Weeks 3 and 4 of his tenure...but its compounded by a roster full of JAGs that are cool with taking Ls. They were cool taking Ls to FIU, Duke, and LaTech...and 3 years later they are cool taking Ls to MTSU. Even the players said they half-azzed the week thinking they would win the game...idk why since those players took Ls to FIU and LaTech...that's a culture issue that is rotting at the core of this program.

Like...Mario NEVER lost to a G5 team in Oregon during the regular season. Not one loss to a G5 team in the regular season. That isn't to say there wasn't a clunker here n there...2018 to SJSU, 2021 to Fresno State...but he won those games. Now he is taking Ls to MTSU? All I know is that ain't like Mario. but that IS like our players...they would lose to a team like that. Mario's only G5 loss came to Boise State in his game as the interim head coach at Oregon (his first game), that Boise State team ended the year as a Top 25 program.

BD95E049-C602-4385-B8EC-075299739EDA.gif

Advertisement
Perhaps. For many years, my rule on position coaches (I’ve said this ab DB coaches and OL coaches, mainly), because I know a few of them personally, is I don’t judge them on anything but the technique. The rest gets bumped up to the coordinator because it’s presumably his system and a lot (production) flows from what’s being asked.

On the technical side, TVD’s feet look worse, his throwing motion looks different (mostly because of the hesitation), and he now seems to have the yips on even some easy throws. It’s completely fair to blame Ponce on those things if he’s the one responsible. Up to this point, I was wrong on thinking he’d help bring us something as a QB coach. Maybe that changes. Doesn’t look optimistic right now.
Lu, no inside info here and no expert here either. I've watched a lot of football for a long time.

TVD looks like he's thinking waaaaay too much and not just planting the back foot and letting it fly. I can see this from having too many - too different? - inputs into what he should do and how he should do it.

Whether that too many is one coach giving him too much to think about all at once or 2-3 coaches giving him too much to think about all at once IDK.

Now, TVD's game has devolved from uncertainty to loss of confidence.

Just my suspicion.

BTW, I'm not excusing other problems such as scheme, philosophy or WR not getting open but TVD is missing open guys and not going through his reads quickly, staring down a WR target, patting the ball offering a tip off to DBs and the like. I'm just focusing on THIS aspect of the overall problem.

P.S.: I remember watching Bill Walsh tutor his QBs with a certain drill. He'd sit it a tower and watch his QBs go through their progressions of which WR to throw to (they were running 7 on 7 iirc). He'd INSTANTLY bark out "No" or "Yes" as the QB looked at each option thereby teaching his QB what a suitable choice should look like and how long it should take to decide. Loved watching that drill.

Advertisement
Back