Confirmed Frank Ponce hired as QB Coach

Advertisement
Crazy times boys. Everyone in town is geeked up for this staff. My phone exploded over Ponce. He’s a very well LIKED AND RESPECTED coach down here. I was shocked at the level of love he received from the high school coaches. He’s going to be welcomed with open arms in every high school down here. Talk about Mario locking down Dade and Broward. Everyone views Ponce as a “friend”. That’s a title earned, not given.
Remember he took us to a front 7 camp at USF summer of ‘02 and he wanted to toughen us up by doing a scrimmage with Northwestern. Never forget that sequence as it was in the rain and he wanted to show Coach Ice (Tim Harris) he was making it on his own and we gave them ****. At the end Coach Ice was mad at his kids because these magnet kids from Kendall didn’t flinch. So he walk off from Ponce with out shaking hands and coach let him get down a hill then yelled, “Yo Ice, **** YOU!” with the biggest 🖕 I’ve ever seen given. i have endless stories but the point I’m trying to make is those kids will run through a wall for Ponce. I guarantee you that. The impact on culture alone is worth the hire.

Have you looked at Yost's resume.

Ponce could not hold his lunch. Simple question how many NFL QB'S has Ponce developed compared to the NFL QB'S Yost has developed.

Go Canes
So should we expect FIU to produce better QB play moving forward than Miami?

Because that’s the sort of conclusion you seem to be coming to when talking about coaches producing NFL QBs, as if the level k of program and talent the coach has access to is not a major factor.

Ponce is an excellent QB coach and proved to be a very good OC at Ap State. Add to that the relationships over the past almost 30 years with Florida high school programs / coaches, he is an A+ addition to this staff.

Because he will spend seasons under another OC here. Its the same thing I heard. Dorsey never called plays. He is now a OC in the NFL. Calling plays doesnt make you good and not calling plays doesnt make you bad. Its the HC job to look at man's work and determine if he has the tools and knowledge to do the job.
Dorsey is in the NFL and was coveted by multiple teams to be OC. Ponce wasn’t even considered by Mario for OC—you think 1-2 years of qb coaching is going to all of sudden vault Ponca into the category of coaches Mario was looking at? There’s no chance Mario goes from Gattis to Ponce for OC.

Advertisement
Not saying that Mario isn't the better coach, but the real staff had more to do with resources than Mario. He couldn't have pulled those coaches on the smaller budget that some of his predecessors had.
Manny? Lol, nah you make a good point. One thing I will say was every time we were suppose to get new staff under the old regime, my thought always went to, “ I wonder who he’s going to be able to get to coach under him” for some reason. You make a valid point though. You think the staff would have Ben higher profile under the last guy?

He'll David Yost, FIU's New OC has a better QB development resume than Ponce. Bottom line Ponce is only at Miami because he knows Mario.

Go Canes
David Yost is on a downward trajectory career wise. Ponce is on upward. 5 years ago you’re right yost was super high on most lists. He has a chance to capitalize at fiu and get back to p5. Familiarity with Mario and south Florida certainly helped no denying that

Advertisement
Advertisement
He'll David Yost, FIU's New OC has a better QB development resume than Ponce. Bottom line Ponce is only at Miami because he knows Mario.

Go Canes

You could say this about 90plus percent of assistant coaches hires to new staffs. Not sure what you're getting at.

Advertisement
Manny? Lol, nah you make a good point. One thing I will say was every time we were suppose to get new staff under the old regime, my thought always went to, “ I wonder who he’s going to be able to get to coach under him” for some reason. You make a valid point though. You think the staff would have Ben higher profile under the last guy?
Money and opportunity talk. But no. Mario is a higher profile coach and certain coaches will not play for coaches that they think are beneath them. But Manny did pull Rhett. He was a good hire and he's a head coach now.

Money and opportunity talk. But no. Mario is a higher profile coach and certain coaches will not play for coaches that they think are beneath them. But Manny did pull Rhett. He was a good hire and he's a head coach now.
You also have to think about the brand. Did Manny pull Rhett or was it the brand? Either way glad we had him for when we did. I don’t like ****ting on Manny too much due to the fact I did believe in him once plus there’s no need now. That era is done.

You also have to think about the brand. Did Manny pull Rhett or was it the brand? Either way glad we had him for when we did. I don’t like ****ting on Manny too much due to the fact I did believe in him once plus there’s no need now. That era is done.
Tvd made lashlee a hc
He’s gonna make gattis a hc soon too

Advertisement
Back