Forgive my lack of football knowledge….

I love this shot... only two refs watching him do something so stupid its right up there with not kneeing the ball...

View attachment 260846
I don’t recall this shot being shown after the play. Probably because I was in a state of shock. From the live camera view, it sure looked like the WR started his slide before he hit the end zone line.

Advertisement
Imagine of this happened to Bama or Ohio State?
Would never happen.
I hate the ACC. Get ready for more egregious calls at NC, especially if the game is close.
I don’t know what recourse we have but our administration has to start putting some pressure on these corrupt ACC officials. This type of crap, is going to cost us in close games against equally talented teams.

The LJ ruled fumble, the FJ ruled TD and no slide

To be fair on the slide, the rule states something to the effect to "sliding to give oneself up" which is not what the runner was doing. I would argue calling that a slide and marking the runner down at the 1 would be just as bad as not calling Chaney down by contact after replay

This is all I've found on sliding which has actually been adjusted recently due to the Pickett fake.

4.1.3.r
When a ball carrier obviously begins a feet-first slide.

A.R. 4-1-3-III
Third and 10 at the A-35. Quarterback A11 sweeps to his right and goes
into a feet-first slide to give himself up. When he starts his slide, the forwardmost point of the ball is at the A-44, and when he comes to a stop the
forward-most point of the ball is at the A-46. RULING: Fourth and one at
the A-44. The ball is dead at its forward-most point when he starts his slide.

There is no mention of sliding to give oneself up. Slides have happened with no defenders around. The rule is meant to stop play as soon as the ball carrier starts the motion even if they don't slide (now after the Pickett fake). Here is an example of an NFL one: https://www.nfl.com/videos/mckinnon...ide-at-1-yard-line-to-help-chiefs-run-clock-d

why? the obvious and easy response is well if you had a coach w a brain, this isnt a thing. stop finding excuses for what happened. it isnt the refs fault we lost. it isnt dons fault. its the coaches and thats it.
So the phantom fumble played no roll in us losing that game?!? What are you talking about?

Advertisement
Imagine you are in a situation where you could win a million dollars if you ran down a hallway 20 yards long. However that hallway is filled with angry-sounding, vibrating dildoes on both walls. There are only two conditions to win the million dollars.

1. You have to run with your eyes completely closed to the end of the hallway.
2. If you open your eyes before reaching the end of the hallway, you are going to get f##ked in the a$$ by a random assortment of dildoes.

Now let's say you take off running, and just before you reach the end of the hallway, your curiosity gets the better of you, and you open your eyes and look around.

That would be close to the equivalent of Cristobal giving the refs one last chance to f##k us in the a$$, by choosing to run the ball instead of kneeling and ending the game.

If you are being honest, you kinda brought the anal trauma upon yourself.
1696969081536.png

The ACC immediately came out and punished the refs for that duke KO return, suspended several of them if im not mistaken.

Has anything been spoken from the ACC in regards to this failed review, let alone over 50% of the calls for the entire game? Or is this one of them tobacco road mafia "now we're even" type of things?

He was touching the ball with his knee down, but he didn’t have control during the Duke return.

The refs tried as long and hard as they could to overturn it but couldn’t because there was nothing there.

People claim he was down off the still shot.

This play is different. He was conclusively down from the VIDEO. The stills just confirm what was already blatantly obvious.

Advertisement
One rewatch is all it took to see something fishy was up with the refs all game...
Saw it happening live. Kid threw a punch at Jacolby the play before he "blocked him out of bounds"

Of course the only call was against Miami.

Francisco was kicked by a dude laying down and tripped on his RTP.

Either they don't have the assets or they didn't want the truth in the replay booth at the end of the game. Freeze the frame, blow it up in 4k and it's clear as day. If you don't have the capability to get every call right I don't understand the point of the replay command center if it's just that easy to mess up. They're encouraged to let the play go and rule it a fumble if there's any doubt and we'll clean it up after. Then back themselves into the "indisputable" evidence corner to overturn it and they might get it right 50% of the time. You could tell he questioned calling it a fumble to begin with but went with his "training" to let it play out and go to the ACC for the call.

No we shouldn't have run the play but it's just as despicable for me to be able take a screenshot or slo-mo on my iphone and lighten it up and see the ball still in control, tucked up and thumb over top, clear as day and then watch the kid pull it out (as the ball is spinning end over end in the same motion of the strip). Yet they can't do that. I'm not sure how there's any confidence in them getting any replay right, ever.

Monday would have rolled around and the game would be overruled and the outcome would be changed - if it was as cut and dry as he was down the clock runs out like that. Zero question about it. Not even a penalty judgement call or anything. This is something the booth should have seen.

There’s been a few games where it should be done and it never has. Don’t expect it ever will until it happens to Bama or OSU.
Until ACC refs are held accountable for their corruption, nothing will change. Being the ACC hates us, nothing will change. Miami needs to leave the ACC immediately.

Until ACC refs are held accountable for their corruption, nothing will change. Being the ACC hates us, nothing will change. Miami needs to leave the ACC immediately.
I've never seen a scenario this cut and dry (not involving a penalty where there's judgment) if he's down they win, if not they lose (or would go onto have a chance to lose) to this magnitude. Last play of the game where there would legitimately be 0:00 on the clock as a result. This is the perfect opportunity to do something and make it right and change the outcome of the game. They won't do it but they should.

Maybe another scenario would be calling someone out of bounds in the end zone as time expires when they were inbounds and not getting it right on review. Don't recall any off the top of my head. Those are usually fixed in the booth.

Not trying to open a can of worms to the extent they could go back and change 2002 NCG and say it wasn't a penalty or find other games where there wasn't a penalty called and then say there was holding so it didn't count, etc. Only black and white cut and dry like this instance. Down or not, in bounds or not where the clock could run out or there's already 0 on it.

Advertisement
I've never seen a scenario this cut and dry (not involving a penalty where there's judgment) if he's down they win, if not they lose (or would go onto have a chance to lose) to this magnitude. Last play of the game where there would legitimately be 0:00 on the clock as a result. This is the perfect opportunity to do something and make it right and change the outcome of the game. They won't do it but they should.

Maybe another scenario would be calling someone out of bounds in the end zone as time expires when they were inbounds and not getting it right on review. Don't recall any off the top of my head. Those are usually fixed in the booth.

Not trying to open a can of worms to the extent they could go back and change 2002 NCG and say it wasn't a penalty or find other games where there wasn't a penalty called and then say there was holding so it didn't count, etc. Only black and white cut and dry like this instance. Down or not, in bounds or not where the clock could run out or there's already 0 on it.
Our best chance is to go 11-1 and have RAD announce at the ACCCG we are leaving because the ACC sucks.

A major part of the reason this continues is due to weak leadership within the school. They need to raise **** publicly.

i would love for Dawson to use poster boards on the sideline to set personnel groups. Use the elbow down, sliding GT player, tackled Bain, chip blocked Francis, punched George for the UNC to make a very clear point. It would be funny too

Advertisement
The 88 Gary fumble earliest that started the bad calls against us that I can think of. I mean we were tearing everything up in the mid 80s-early 90s, and doubt the NCAA liked what we were doing, and against Notre Dame at that.

And that wasn't the ACC. Every referee back in the 80s didn't like the way UM played the game, and as new referees came in, they got told by the old guys, "those Miami kids are out of control. Keep a close eye on them". And so it doesn't matter what conference, UM is always going to get f#cked by refs. Cristobal knows this from his playing days. That's part of what made his decision extra stupid. We had already been robbed numerous times. Why give the refs another chance? Kneel and walk out with the W.

This is all I've found on sliding which has actually been adjusted recently due to the Pickett fake.

4.1.3.r
When a ball carrier obviously begins a feet-first slide.

A.R. 4-1-3-III
Third and 10 at the A-35. Quarterback A11 sweeps to his right and goes
into a feet-first slide to give himself up. When he starts his slide, the forwardmost point of the ball is at the A-44, and when he comes to a stop the
forward-most point of the ball is at the A-46. RULING: Fourth and one at
the A-44. The ball is dead at its forward-most point when he starts his slide.

There is no mention of sliding to give oneself up. Slides have happened with no defenders around. The rule is meant to stop play as soon as the ball carrier starts the motion even if they don't slide (now after the Pickett fake). Here is an example of an NFL one: https://www.nfl.com/videos/mckinnon...ide-at-1-yard-line-to-help-chiefs-run-clock-d

"feet-first slide to give himself up" - you quoted the reference I was referring to.

not to state the obvious but there is a way to prevent that from happening and it involves the hc not being an idiot
Yes. That's squarely obvious to everyone, and pointed out repeatedly by everyone. But still the fake fumble absolutely is partly at 'fault' for the loss.

Not to state the obvious but if that fake fumble isn't called, we almost certainly don't lose that game.

Advertisement
Back