Fall Scrimmage number 1 info

Mario appears like a str8 shooter v. a salesman. The msg has been pretty consistent. I don’t think he’s being disingenuous or trying to temper expectations vs. being str8 fwd w/ us.

A lot of objective fans have said 8-9 wins yr 1. I’m sticking w/ 8 wins Reg season & a post season win yr 1. @Hurricane Warrior just bumped his threads in the “Recruiting” forum, reminding us of the shear attrition we’ve had from these past classes who were supposed to either pass the torch or be in a position to lead. Couple that w/ the combination of guys who just didn’t/haven’t panned out, & what we have is an inconsistent roster. We’re strong in some areas, serviceable in others, & yyyyyyyyyikes at others.

W/ that type of roster + a deplorable culture that’s been ingrained w/in the program for the past 7 yrs?? Whether fans realize it or not, but this is a semi-rebuild.
Disagree heavily on the roster. Every single position has two players that can get it done. WR is the question mark but not because it’s bad but because we don’t see a top dog. You can easily win without a top dog receiver when you have the quarterback we do.

Also a someone who works in a “Culture” type business, culture changes VERY fast once you get rid of people like Manny, Nesta and others.

We’re the only team in the ACC that has what we have in the two deep, at QB and on staff.

While any record is possible from 0-12 to 12-0, but even the two big teams on our schedule have bigger question marks than we do (A&M DC and QB, culture / CLEM with QB and no Venables, RB).

We can’t all agree QB is the biggest chess piece in sports then say teams with massive QB question marks like the mentioned, UNC and PITT are bigger threats to us than we are to them.

10-2 is the floor. I

Advertisement
Honestly can’t believe with this staff and this QB people on here are so quick to concede 3-4 losses.
If ATM doesn't hang 40 on our Canes, fire Cuckbo.

Very likely losses to Clemson and at least one other.

Obviously we need to see first 4 games to get a better gauge.

We’re on the exact same page:

Superior:
-QB room
-TE room
-S room

Solid:
-DE

Optimistic:
-DB (b/c of coaching)
-RB (if they can stay healthy, can be moved to Superior)

Cause For Concern:
LB
WR
DT
OL (depth, fit across entire line)
I have no idea what our record will be, but ⬆️ is pretty dang accurate

What positions you got in each spot? Like what is your like position?

For me I think we are strong at QB, TE, Safety..

I think we should be good and feel optimistic about RB, DL and Corner..

OL is dependent on health but we should be able to put an experienced group together..

WR and LB would be hope and prayer.. Hoping one guy can step up and carry the unit at this point.. We got no gamebreaking speed at WR, nobody will scare in this unit it seems at this point..

Special teams should be strong..

Think we have talent to put points on board and play good defense.
I think OL is going to surprise us. For the first time since those early 2010’s we actually have a starting OL of mostly NFL guys, the coaches seem to be really high on Campbell and if he can emerge to be the best on the line even over Nelson, Clark and Scaife. We now have great coaching in Mirabel, Mario, and Bain.

I don’t think LB is going to be a weakness. Teams don’t play 3 LB’s any more. Rotating K. Smith, Johnson, Chase Smith, Wesley, and Steed could give us a pretty solid group.

Advertisement
Let me say so before the season starts. I don't need to see s*** this team is going to go 11-1....10 -2 at worse.
Better leadership.
Better coaching.
Better mental preparation.
Better environment.
More money!
More rounded team with the additional players brought in!
More seasoned players!
This is the ACC!!!
Etc etc etc...
And lastly f*** it I'm a fan we're going to win the ACC This s*** ain't about Facts only it's about how I feel and if that's not how you feel get the f*** out of here....
Yours truly,
Fanboy!

So that our Canes don't give up 40 to him or anyone else in Y2 and on.

Mario and staff are coaching, not playing.

You can't coach a 4 cylinder to be a V-8. But you can over time get new motors.

Patience.

They scored 40 twice vs the P5 last season, lost 4 games and think Max Johnson is a solution. Giving up that number is unacceptable regardless of tenure

Advertisement
For all its problems and all the talk of poor culture, these guys didn’t lay down last year. That is a HUGE deal.

Saban kicked our *** and called off the dogs but even with his back ups, that game would have been 60 or 70 to nothing if we had layed down.

We fought MSU for three quarters but the superior leadership of their coach and losing our leader in King was too much to overcome. We faded against one of the best running backs in the country with a freshman quarterback thrown to the wolves trying to find himself.

Every other game, win or lose, we fought to the very end. This team has charecter. The only team with potential to make us lay down is Clemson. I don’t see us losing any game by more than 20. I think we play everyone, including Clemson within two scores. No blowout losses unless we get catastrophic injury numbers.
TVD also played his first 3 games with a vanilla offense dink and dunking, screens, etc. once they opened it up for him he excelled. If they had let him come in and opened it up for him against MSU we would have had a fighters chance and who knows what might have happened.

Let me say so before the season starts. I don't need to see s*** this team is going to go 11-1....10 -2 at worse.
Better leadership.
Better coaching.
Better mental preparation.
Better environment.
More money!
More rounded team with the additional players brought in!
More seasoned players!
This is the ACC!!!
Etc etc etc...
And lastly f*** it I'm a fan we're going to win the ACC This s*** ain't about Facts only it's about how I feel and if that's not how you feel get the f*** out of here....
Yours truly,
Fanboy!
Papa John’s.

Looks like everybody is drinking the kool-aid again. If and when we lose to Texas A&M it will he off with Mario's head. "Why did we spend this money" blah blah... We have added a few pieces to a 7-5 team so all of a sudden we are a 10-2 floor? With a new run first offense on a roster that COULD NOT RUN THE BALL last year? Sounds like our receivers are struggling. 8-4 is probably the realistic expectation and everything better than that is gravy IMO

Advertisement
Looks like everybody is drinking the kool-aid again. If and when we lose to Texas A&M it will he off with Mario's head. "Why did we spend this money" blah blah... We have added a few pieces to a 7-5 team so all of a sudden we are a 10-2 floor? With a new run first offense on a roster that COULD NOT RUN THE BALL last year? Sounds like our receivers are struggling. 8-4 is probably the realistic expectation and everything better than that is gravy IMO
This is a weirdly-emphasized pessimistic comment, but 8-4 is entirely possible. I still expect 9-3.

We’re on the exact same page:

Superior:
-QB room
-TE room
-S room

Solid:
-DE

Optimistic:
-DB (b/c of coaching)
-RB (if they can stay healthy, can be moved to Superior)

Cause For Concern:
LB
WR
DT
OL (depth, fit across entire line)
You hit it with the superior rooms. No way to slice that.

I’d say RB is solid if simply for the fact that we have too many very good candidates to not be more than optimistic.

We definitely came into the fall with needing to see more from those last four, but I think:

- DT is solid
- OL is solid ( we have a legit two deep at all spots)
- WR is stronger with fall additions of Horton, Mello, Young - also hearing that a certain transfer is doing things
- LB everyone’s favorite. We have hope finally. Looks as though Caleb is flashing. Smith is getting opportunity and Wesley is flashing. Deeper here but need to see some separation soon.

Advertisement
The difference between now and the years past are two things.

1. We have a legitimate QB who is actually a top QB prospect. When is the last time we have had that, and don’t come at TrumpyCane with Brad Kaaya, he was never a Top QB prospect. TVD will be the best QB in every game we play, when’s the last time we could’ve said that?

2. The coaching staff. TrumpyCane isn’t even going to bring up Mario in this point. Our coaching staff is ELITE. Proven OC/DC with proven position coaches down to the ST coach which isn’t even technically there. We have a better coaching staff Top to bottom than every single team we play except maybe A&M
Bull****. Kaaya won 4 Greentree Heismans and was projected top 5 pick at one time.

D$ going to come running into the ring to wrestle Trumpy

If Citizen only has a hyperextended knee, that is night a day better than a torn ACL, etc. I hope he is 100% regardless.

Any word on Horton. He supposedly left with an injury per a report.
Freshman can look pretty good in drills but once they start getting hit everyone is reminded about the difference between someone barely out of high school and a guy who’s been in a college S&C program for 3 years.
I hope they are both OK because they can be contributors this year.

Guys wasn't this 1st scrimmage scripted. I read somewhere it was supposed to be 150 plays. The reason I mentioned this is because from my experience with scrimmages like this they are very controlled. From the personnel, Game situations, etc. I think it's easy for certain information shared to get taken out of context. Not sure how much Gattis showed yesterday, hopefully we are more 60/40 pass than the "Ground and Pound" attack most are alluding to. Also on the other hand we should get a better feel for who will be in the 2 deep on both sides of the ball this week. The 2nd scrimmage will tell us who we are and who we are not going into week 1.

You hit it with the superior rooms. No way to slice that.

I’d say RB is solid if simply for the fact that we have too many very good candidates to not be more than optimistic.

We definitely came into the fall with needing to see more from those last four, but I think:

- DT is solid
- OL is solid ( we have a legit two deep at all spots)
- WR is stronger with fall additions of Horton, Mello, Young - also hearing that a certain transfer is doing things
- LB everyone’s favorite. We have hope finally. Looks as though Caleb is flashing. Smith is getting opportunity and Wesley is flashing. Deeper here but need to see some separation soon.

I think based upon reports, WR is still a cause of concern.

OL will be moved up once Zion comes back, but right now, under its current juncture, I’m concerned, honestly.

LB, again based upon reports, is still a concern 4 me.

DT seems to have one guy who fits the bill in Jackson, but the room as a whole is not giving me that confidence I’ve felt since Norton, McIntosh, & Willis gave. But, I think I was a bit harsh on them.

Again, these r just my opinions, except the Superior group. That’s our strongest foundational piece.

Advertisement
Back