ESPN article pressure on Rosier

Don't know why you are tripping over the pitt game or the last two.all season long with exception of the nd and va tech games the games were too close with all the turnovers the defense had.if the d hadn't gotten those turn overs we wouldn't won those ten games with our offense.better hope our offense is better this year or we won't win ten games.pitt,Clemson and Wisconsin games showed the world what our weaknesses are .

Advertisement
"Miami definitely tried to get the deep ball in play last season. The Hurricanes attempted 76 passes that went 20 or more yards down the field. Of those, 45 were long go routes down the left or right side. Miami completed 31 percent of those passes, but that percentage dipped in the latter stages of the season."

Got to be better here

They've got to find a way to make opponents respect the passing game. It's not just that defenses were keying on the run, quite a few teams basically dared Malik to complete passes downfield. I've never seen as much press cover-1 or cover zero played against a Miami team as I saw last year. DC's were basically saying "we'll take our chances getting beat over the top, we're not going to get bubble screened to death". Just completing a handful more of those passes can drastically change a game. If you're not consistent enough to methodically convert third down after third down all the way down the field, explosive gains in the vertical passing game can help negate the lack of consistency. Especially with a poor offensive line. If they can find a way to punish teams for getting greedy against the underneath stuff, the whole season could take on a new dynamic.

Advertisement
They've got to find a way to make opponents respect the passing game. It's not just that defenses were keying on the run, quite a few teams basically dared Malik to complete passes downfield. I've never seen as much press cover-1 or cover zero played against a Miami team as I saw last year. DC's were basically saying "we'll take our chances getting beat over the top, we're not going to get bubble screened to death". Just completing a handful more of those passes can drastically change a game. If you're not consistent enough to methodically convert third down after third down all the way down the field, explosive gains in the vertical passing game can help negate the lack of consistency. Especially with a poor offensive line. If they can find a way to punish teams for getting greedy against the underneath stuff, the whole season could take on a new dynamic.

I agree with this, but wanted to highlight this line in particular, because I think it's a matter of not being realistic about what we had last season with Malik. Yes, given the benefit of hindsight, you can say if we complete this pass or that pass, or convert these 3rd downs, the outcome of the game changes. You can say that in literally every game and people here are...even the wins should have been blowouts. Last year at the beginning of the season everybody was so confident in the weapons we had on offense, all we needed Malik to do was manage the game and protect the football, and maybe use his mobility to pick up a few first downs here and there. Nobody was under any illusions that Rosier was going to be lighting up the scoreboard with deep bombs over the top. Nobody was thinking we were going to have to rely on him to throw 45 passes a game.

My point with Malik has never been to defend him. He turned out to be exactly what we all thought he would be. What we ended up finding out, though, is that this dynamic offense wasn't quite as explosive as we had imagined that it could allow a game manager to come in and complete a few easy passes to our speed guys in space and hand it off to our backs and walk away with 12 or 13 wins.

It is through nothing but hindsight that people can look at Rosier and lay either our successes or failures solely on him.

Rosier is not a good QB. He's decent at best. Yes, he steps up in clutch situations, but he often put us in unnecessarily stressful situations. When your defense forces 4 turnovers you shouldn't be in a dogfight against Syracuse or UNC. He disappears for entire quarters at a time and keeps the other team in the game.

It's possible to have a consistent QB who's also good in the clutch. I don't like ONLY being good when the pressure comes. Like FSU and the GT games, we wouldn't have needed Malik to have been spot on in the 4th quarter if he handled business the previous 3 quarters.

Of course a robotic perfect passer with an overdrive for clutch time would be great. We are complete agreement there. Start that bad boy immediately. But if you had to choose between one who is steady and sure but can't get that last second score in a game where he needs to or a erratic guy who gets you in trouble more often but does not get ruffled and seems to just pull out those close games, which do you take. We had FSU the previous three years but lost in the end(even with Mark). Last year we sucked for three quarters and then won on last second play. What is Rosier had played the previous FSU games? Maybe he ends up on top in a couple of them too.

I watched our best QB ever, Vinny, get in trouble in two NC games and not be able to pull it out in the end. Love the guy to death but dang, just one less interception in each of those two game and we have 7 instead of 5. I love QBs who do not make mistakes, don't get me wrong, heck I probably prefer those types, but it sure is nice to have the guy that leaves the other team crying at the last second.

Advertisement
I agree with this, but wanted to highlight this line in particular, because I think it's a matter of not being realistic about what we had last season with Malik. Yes, given the benefit of hindsight, you can say if we complete this pass or that pass, or convert these 3rd downs, the outcome of the game changes. You can say that in literally every game and people here are...even the wins should have been blowouts. Last year at the beginning of the season everybody was so confident in the weapons we had on offense, all we needed Malik to do was manage the game and protect the football, and maybe use his mobility to pick up a few first downs here and there. Nobody was under any illusions that Rosier was going to be lighting up the scoreboard with deep bombs over the top. Nobody was thinking we were going to have to rely on him to throw 45 passes a game.

My point with Malik has never been to defend him. He turned out to be exactly what we all thought he would be. What we ended up finding out, though, is that this dynamic offense wasn't quite as explosive as we had imagined that it could allow a game manager to come in and complete a few easy passes to our speed guys in space and hand it off to our backs and walk away with 12 or 13 wins.

It is through nothing but hindsight that people can look at Rosier and lay either our successes or failures solely on him.

I'm with you in that Malik Rosier is exactly who we thought he would be. Not horrible but too inconsistent. I was under no delusion that with mediocre QB play, our offense was still talented enough to light up the scoreboard every night. Especially with the injuries to Richards, Walton and Herndon. They were, for the most part, what I thought they were going to be coming into the season. Good enough to get you double digit wins, not good enough for a conference championship or playoff. There's two issues I have with Rosier. The first is, if you're going to be a "game manager" type quarterback, you can't throw the most interceptions in the ACC. It would be one thing if the coaches were asking him to make all these tough throws but they're not. Most of his picks were of the "who the **** was he throwing that to?" variety. Passes late, over the middle that aren't withing 5 yards of his intended receiver. I can't stand those because you're not even giving your guy a chance to make a play. The second was, as the season went on, his play got worse. You would hope a guy who only had one prior start would gradually improve as the year progressed and he got more experience but he got worse. Some of that was injuries to himself and other offensive guys but some of the play towards the end of the season, UNC and Pitt in particular was just garbage. He's can't be terrible if they want to improve. If he plays consistently average, they've got another 10+ win season. If he struggles like he did towards the end of last season, they had better hope one of the young guys is ready.

Great! ...without any doubt, he did that!!

Only problem is that...... NONE of those games should have even been close.

We had many opportunities to be far ahead in those games, .....IF we were consistently effective offensively throughout

It's good to know it's there IF you need it ....BUT I'd much rather NOT need it and beat the $#%@!! outta these guys

Sure a win is a win & I'm sure, some even like these close games against weaker opponents,.... I don't

How much of that is Rosier's fault -- and how much of it is on the OL for consistently never being able to generate any push in short yardage situations?

Advertisement
I don’t disagree with this take. For all the moronic rambling on this board about how conservative of a play caller Richt is, he was greedy in that Pitt game, and he stuck with a game plan that was not working long after it was obvious that Rosier was not going to win the game with his arm.
Does you not disagreeing with my take mean the same as you agreeing with it? Lol

IMO, Richt putting Sherrifs in the game, had just as much to do with his confidence in the game plan, as it had to do with his frustration with Malik. The opportunities that Richt saw on film, were there for the taking in the game, which is not always the case. He was just searching for someone to exploit the holes in their secondary.

I'm not taking you seriously.

I haven't taken you seriously in a long time. You and all the others who defended Kaaya until the day he left early to be drafted in the 6th round.

But to the point, if I asked for your top 5 quarterbacks of all time, I'd put a healthy amount of money on those guys being in the top 15 in 4th quarter comeback wins.

Advertisement

can't really say that because malik wasn't even a game manager. game-managing quarterbacks complete easy dinks and dunks, and don't throw tons of interceptions.

Last edited:
How much of that is Rosier's fault -- and how much of it is on the OL for consistently never being able to generate any push in short yardage situations?

I hear ya Ro BUT How the heck does anyone know without going back over the game tapes play by play.

I'm not going to do it.

I suffered enough the 1st time watching it live .....and I believe what my eyes saw

Suffice it to say, the offense led on the field by Rosier during those comeback games was ineffective for most of those games. That's indisputable.

He gets the credit for the comebacks, so he he gets the credit for the offense coming up short during most of those games.

Whether the problems were due to the OL, Rosier missing passes, passes dropped, wrong routes run, runners falling, drunk play calling or players watching cheerleaders I don't know.

Just saying whatever he was doing differently during those comebacks can and should be done ALL game long. Simple as that

I haven't taken you seriously in a long time. You and all the others who defended Kaaya until the day he left early to be drafted in the 6th round.

But to the point, if I asked for your top 5 quarterbacks of all time, I'd put a healthy amount of money on those guys being in the top 15 in 4th quarter comeback wins.

You must have me confused with someone else. Because I've never really defended Kaaya.

Advertisement
Back