Ed Reed

Duke? absolutely not. But I’d argue DP needed coaching, honestly. In the same token, better coaching could’ve made him an even better player. Saying that makes it sound like I don’t think he was great but I’d argue that coaching helped him more so than Duke. NJOKU ain’t yo average joe. I think he was drafted more so on what he will do than what he did do. I’ll concur though, this cycle for me, is make or break for him as a recruiter. On the field, he got MJ and Bandy playing at a high level. I get where you coming from. You make some good points. I just think that from now to February, one of our opinions will be shifted.
Duke? absolutely not. But I’d argue DP needed coaching, honestly. In the same token, better coaching could’ve made him an even better player. Saying that makes it sound like I don’t think he was great but I’d argue that coaching helped him more so than Duke. NJOKU ain’t yo average joe. I think he was drafted more so on what he will do than what he did do. I’ll concur though, this cycle for me, is make or break for him as a recruiter. On the field, he got MJ and Bandy playing at a high level. I get where you coming from. You make some good points. I just think that from now to February, one of our opinions will be shifted.

Even though we’ve lost too many studs, we are still in much better shape DB depth and talent wise then we have been in the past 15 years. And that is no exaggeration.

I’m just gonna rattle off a few names that come to my head. Ray Ray Armstrong, Telemaque, Nicholas (god rest his soul), Dallas Crawford, Highsmith, Rogers, Wake Forest corner, Larry Hope, Nate Dorch, etc.....

And there are a ton more. We had a JV seconday for almost 17 years!

Solid guys: B Harris, Ryan Hill, Gunter, Burns, Bush, Jenkins, Corn, Carter. We’ve had like 8 decent DBs In the last 10 or so years. Our most recent 1 rd DB prior to Burns was Kenny Phillips .... in 2008. Jesus. You can swing a dead cat while being blind folded and find a all American DB in south fl

Advertisement
Even though we’ve lost too many studs, we are still in much better shape DB depth and talent wise then we have been in the past 15 years. And that is no exaggeration.

I’m just gonna rattle off a few names that come to my head. Ray Ray Armstrong, Telemaque, Nicholas (god rest his soul), Dallas Crawford, Highsmith, Rogers, Wake Forest corner, Larry Hope, Nate Dorch, etc.....

And there are a ton more. We had a JV seconday for almost 17 years!

Solid guys: B Harris, Ryan Hill, Gunter, Burns, Bush, Jenkins, Corn, Carter. We’ve had like 8 decent DBs In the last 10 or so years. Our most recent 1 rd DB prior to Burns was Kenny Phillips .... in 2008. Jesus. You can swing a dead cat while being blind folded and find a all American DB in south fl

It was hard bein a fan in them days! Especially knowing our safeties were pooh. When golden talked up Dallas Crawford you knew it was over for him lol

I still don’t believe we have to money to have a top 10 staff. I wish I could pull those numbers. For the rest of your post...100% spot on. We have some good coaches and then some spots are weak either due to recruiting or lack of coaching experience. The crazy part is, we should still win the Coastal every year with this staff and talent coming in. I wish we didn’t split the secondary coaching and instead just hired one elite guy and pay him. Hartley should just be a recruiting coordinator because he is terrible at coaching special teams. With all that being said, we will be a top 15 team year end and year out and I believe Richt will get us 1 championship.
We went for Corey Raymond first, we lost that bid

I will say that Reed is most certainly the guy I would want to sit next to and break some film down with. He was one **** of an athlete, but his work in the film room and instincts on the field (a large portion would be attributed to his game prep) are as legendary as his play. He spots tendencies that coaches and players don't even know they have....much like a tell in poker.

Would he be a great coach? That depends on one thing, does he want to coach and dedicate the time it would take to do so? Should the answer be yes, I don't see why not.

As for losing ones mind over losing a guy to OSU, I just ask why? Like him or not, it's an uphill battle against Urban. He's a bonafide stud coach at a powerhouse program. These recruits remember the Gates balling with him as the coach. The same is true with Bama and Saban basically. Then you have Clemson with Dabo and then there's Smart.

Like it or not, Smart did play for a NC last year. You can say he did it with Richt's players, but the easy counter to that is Richt never made that game with his own players. Smart and company use that I'm sure as they should.

I don't even flinch when we lose a guy to those four schools. It's an uphill battle from jump. We start sending players to the NFL like that, keep winning, and get our name up there then the tables will turn. Kids are frontrunners these days more than ever and want to play for the hot team.

Wish we had played Clemson close, but that was a crushing loss and made us look far behind the elites. Then getting blasted in the BCS, that hurt as well since Bama dominated a team that just wrecked us. The other pain was UGA making it to the BCS. Had that not happened, they wouldn't be as hot of a name now.

Last edited:
I will say that Reed is most certainly the guy I would want to sit next to and break some film down with. He was one **** of an athlete, but his work in the film room and instincts on the field (a large portion would be attributed to his game prep) are as legendary as his play. He spots tendencies that coaches and players don't even know they have....much like a tell in poker.

Would he be a great coach? That depends on one thing, does he want to coach and dedicate the time it would take to do so? Should the answer be yes, I don't see why not.

As for losing ones mind over losing a guy to OSU, I just ask why? Like him or not, it's an uphill battle against Urban. He's a bonafide stud coach at a powerhouse program. These recruits remember the Gates balling with him as the coach. The same is true with Bama and Saban basically. Then you have Clemson with Dabo and then there's Smart.

Like it or not, Smart did play for a NC last year. You can say he did it with Richt's players, but the easy counter to that is Richt never made that game with his own players. Smart and company use that I'm sure as they should.

I don't even flinch when we lose a guy to those four schools. It's an uphill battle from jump. We start sending players to the NFL like that, keep winning, and get our name up there then the tables will turn. Kids are frontrunners these days more than ever and want to play for the hot team.

Wish we had played Clemson close, but that was a crushing loss and made us look far behind the elites. Then getting blasted in the BCS, that hurt as well since Bama dominated a team that just wrecked us. The other pain was UGA making it to the BCS. Had that not happened, they wouldn't be as hot of a name now.
Miami was 1 game away from where Georgia was. They were the luckiest team all year think about it they simply just did not have any significant injuries outside of eason(who fromm turned out to be an upgrade over)

Advertisement
We don’t have the funds to hire top notch experience across the board. We as to make alsacrifices somewhere and it was with our secondary coaches. Miami coaches are sill being laid way less than most elite programs.

Considering what our recruiting base produces..I disagree but you’re right to some extent. What do you sacrifice? DL coach? DB coach? I get it..

Agreed for the most part. Banda/Manny/whomever played Carter out of position by having him a FS. It was a dumb move. Jenk had been playing prettyy well his career here. I don't chalk them up to Banda.

What he's done with Redwine and Jaquan has been pretty **** good though. He seems to be a good coach in terms of teaching the position but once these guys start going to the NFL..it will help stop the negative recruiting against him.

I just loathe that we had to have growing pains with any position coach when Richt was given funds to hire the best.

I think you're a little off on the notion of "Richt was given funds to hire the best." He did get more money for assistants. His budget is still not remotely close to the big football programs. So you have to make choices. You pay a guy like Dugans more and you get a guy like Banda who you can pay less.

I posted elsewhere on the board about the Simpson hire not only seeming good because he's looking like a good coach, but also because we can pay him a lot less than we did Kool. Richt plays OC so we don't have to hire one (much to the dismay of many). Diaz coaches LB's. And hopefully Jon Richt is making about tree-fiddy an hour.

Richt hired who he has connections with haven’t you followed his tenure at uga. The last time he went out and hired somebody he didn’t know like that ala jeremey Pruitt he tried to sabotage richt and cause issues within the program. Schottyheimer was another bad hire late in his uga tenure that richt didn’t like per say. As richt has stated you can’t put a premium on working around people that you get a long well with in which he does. Hartley has proven to be an elite recruiter who worked at uga as the recruiting coordinator with richt, dugans was recruited and coached by richt, same with Thomas brown who was on his uga staff. Searels has coached for richt for a number of years. Richt is close to Simpson from the Georgia ties and recruiting the Buford program. Richt is very familiar with coach rumph from recruiting heritage, Banda and Patel both worked under Diaz at Mississippi state. So as you can see all of these guys had personal connections with richt and Diaz(on the linebacker and safety hires).

Another note remember how before richt left uga Brian burns had uga leading richt was his favorite coach? Yet when he came to Miami burns still didn’t have much interest even with rumph coming here as well? That just goes to show you no matter what some kids just don’t want to play for Miami period

Rumph coming was probably the reason he didn't want to come to Miami.

Our DB recruiting has been horrible in general. If u want Banda gone, u better want Rumph out too!!! If it wasnt for legacies and underated prospects we would be ***ed.
This narrative is redundant & flawed. Heres the problem. #1 a coach is brought here first and foremost for his ability to coach up whatever kids are in his position group. So while we all may find chinks in the armor for our db coaches the only one widely considered over his head is banda. Hes learning. Hes great with the kids,they all love him,hes very motivational but far as coaching up his position and putting kids into a position to succeed he needs and GETS quite a bit of assistance. #2 the bigger flaw in this recruiting arguement for any position coach whether its negative or positive doesnt hold water. All a area/lead recruiter is really asked to do is develop a relationship with a kid and get him on campus as often as possible. He shares in that duty with matt Daugherty and Jorge. Once hes on campus hes "handed off" to cmr or baez or Daugherty in some grouping. Those are the people really responsible for selling a recruit and his family. So anotherwords successful or a failure its a team effort to get a recruit in place. Unless its one of those rare kids who just jumps to commit once he gets an offer.

Advertisement
Let it known I was very high on gurvan Hall, he was one of my top 3 wants in the class and a top 3 db in last class imo. He’s that good and it was a great get by Banda. Carter is a beast too. If you look at the gets he really hasn’t done better than rumph overall period. Regardless both need to improve their recruiting and I think They can
Banda
3 starDerrick smith
3 star amari carter
4star gurvan Hall
3 star Nigel bethel
4star Keontra Smith
3 star damarious good

Rumph
4star jahvontae dean
4 star Trajan bandy

4 star Gilbert Frierson
4 star DJ Ivey
4 star al blades
4 star tecory couch
3 star Jarvis brownlee

It’s not just by position, Banda is the main reason frierson came to Miami FYI

This narrative is redundant & flawed. Heres the problem. #1 a coach is brought here first and foremost for his ability to coach up whatever kids are in his position group. So while we all may find chinks in the armor for our db coaches the only one widely considered over his head is banda. Hes learning. Hes great with the kids,they all love him,hes very motivational but far as coaching up his position and putting kids into a position to succeed he needs and GETS quite a bit of assistance. #2 the bigger flaw in this recruiting arguement for any position coach whether its negative or positive doesnt hold water. All a area/lead recruiter is really asked to do is develop a relationship with a kid and get him on campus as often as possible. He shares in that duty with matt Daugherty and Jorge. Once hes on campus hes "handed off" to cmr or baez or Daugherty in some grouping. Those are the people really responsible for selling a recruit and his family. So anotherwords successful or a failure its a team effort to get a recruit in place. Unless its one of those rare kids who just jumps to commit once he gets an offer.
So what your saying is that Hartley, Dugans, and to some extend Thomas their repeated success in recruiting is just coincidence? Hartley and Dugans are the same as Banda and Rumph? I want hear/read this answer.

So what your saying is that Hartley, Dugans, and to some extend Thomas their repeated success in recruiting is just coincidence? Hartley and Dugans are the same as Banda and Rumph? I want hear/read this answer.
Some guys are better recruiters than others just like some guys are better teachers than others. To say no coach is better or worse at recruiting is false.

Some guys are better recruiters than others just like some guys are better teachers than others. To say no coach is better or worse at recruiting is false.
Exactly, did you read Brooklyndee's post? Its not really the coaches ability to recruit they hand it off to baez n daugherty and its a team effort. I agree w the team effort part but the whole positive/negative outcomes has little to do with position coaches is a joke.

Advertisement
Context is key at times my friend. Im not at all saying its coincidence. Im saying its a team effort and everyone has their own roles. The closers are not position coaches in large part. The key part of this statement is blame as well as success is a shared effort. Besides that i feel its moronic to tell a position coach that hes either a success or a failure based upon the kids he recruits rather than the kids who play for him... one is a team effort and the other is in large part due to your coach teaching you the keys to succeed. Otherwise no point in giving a recruit who signs any credit at all.

Furthermore if signing the kids you recruit is your only measure of success than as a fan base yall are simply dillusional. Even if youre considered elite youre still only signing like 8% of the kids you actually recruit every year. The problem is as fans you choose who you feel is a must get & if we dont get them than its a failure. So with that in mind how is thomas brown(whos an excellent coach/recruiter by the way)exempt from all the misses he has? In fans eyes his only hit was lorenzo... just sayin the hypocritical crap is tiresome & unimaginitive. Recruiting begins & ends with how we relate to said kids. Thats the only unique measure. The rest is personal.

Context is key at times my friend. Im not at all saying its coincidence. Im saying its a team effort and everyone has their own roles. The closers are not position coaches in large part. The key part of this statement is blame as well as success is a shared effort. Besides that i feel its moronic to tell a position coach that hes either a success or a failure based upon the kids he recruits rather than the kids who play for him... one is a team effort and the other is in large part due to your coach teaching you the keys to succeed. Otherwise no point in giving a recruit who signs any credit at all.
Furthermore if signing the kids you recruit is your only measure of success than as a fan base yall are simply dillusional. Even if youre considered elite youre still only signing like 8% of the kids you actually recruit every year. The problem is as fans you choose who you feel is a must get & if we dont get them than its a failure. So with that in mind how is thomas brown(whos an excellent coach/recruiter by the way)exempt from all the misses he has? In fans eyes his only hit was lorenzo... just sayin the hypocritical crap is tiresome & unimaginitive. Recruiting begins & ends with how we relate to said kids. Thats the only unique measure. The rest is personal.
Negative, ive always said in order to be a good college coach you have to be both a good recruiter and a good instructional coach. This is y kool was an issue, elite instructional coach, horrible recruiter. Rumph, is a decent instructional coach, ive always said that but way too many misses as a recruiter. Banda is a slightly better recruiter but not as good of an instructional coach as Rumph. To me, if play on the field isnt improved and miss out on Stevenson somebody has to go. We are hemorrhaging 5*s at the CB/S position.

Advertisement
I’m probably in the minority in thinking this (which I have been for years because I now live in vols country) but it will take time before we can get these big names on campus. Last season was the best season we’ve had since these guys were born. All they’ve known is the bama, Clemson, and OSU’s of the world competing at an elite level every year, while we ***** about coaches, bags, and (what he’s me every **** year) not converting on gawd dam 3rd down. Coach Richt is a winner and I don’t think he’ll be loyal to coaches not getting it done at this point in his career. I’m not calling anyone an idiot on here because you smart enough to go for the Canes. But we need to exercise patience with the program and coaches at this point. I am aware that it is frustrating but **** ain’t ever gone be as easy as some ppl make it seem. If a kid just don’t want in, it’s not much we can do about it.
I feel your pain. I'm in vol country as well!

I'm not sure if Ed Reed is the answer, but something has got to change with DB recruiting. Banda has been OK, Rumphs recruiting is just unacceptable. Was disappointed CMR did not make some changes after the last cycle. Until changes are made, expect the same results.

Negative, ive always said in order to be a good college coach you have to be both a good recruiter and a good instructional coach. This is y kool was an issue, elite instructional coach, horrible recruiter. Rumph, is a decent instructional coach, ive always said that but way too many misses as a recruiter. Banda is a slightly better recruiter but not as good of an instructional coach as Rumph. To me, if play on the field isnt improved and miss out on Stevenson somebody has to go. We are hemorrhaging 5*s at the CB/S position.

latest

Banda has got to be the reason we have so many future NFL'ers sitting on the bench because they just can't beat out the 1st teamers....shame on
Banda

Advertisement
Back