Ed Reed

Something to keep in mind. If schools are coming after your assistants.... you have quality assistants.

Kool was/ is a known commodity.

Dugans has been rumored to be offered 2
jobs since hers been here.

TB: while I don’t know if he’s had offers.. in do know he is paid top of the line. Might be the highest paid RB coach in NCAA.

Searels got offered the AUB job.

What teams are coming after guys like Rumph, Banda, JR? If Rumph could recruit... the dude could be on any team in America. He’d be Corey Raymond’s clone. **** no one even want to go after Diaz either.

People need to recognize that we have a very subpar staff. No one wants to admit it.

Advertisement
Why do you think rumph can’t coach? Not calling you out. Just enjoy logical football talk.

I didn’t say he can’t coach. I just don’t think his coaching prowess outweighs his recruiting enough to keep him. He’s dead weight at premium position where we can’t afford to strike out.

Something to keep in mind. If schools are coming after your assistants.... you have quality assistants.

Kool was/ is a known commodity.

Dugans has been rumored to be offered 2
jobs since hers been here.

TB: while I don’t know if he’s had offers.. in do know he is paid top of the line. Might be the highest paid RB coach in NCAA.

Searels got offered the AUB job.

What teams are coming after guys like Rumph, Banda, JR? If Rumph could recruit... the dude could be on any team in America. He’d be Corey Raymond’s clone. **** no one even want to go after Diaz either.

People need to recognize that we have a very subpar staff. No one wants to admit it.
Other than TC, who was “the guy” that rumph missed on last cycle? Surtain was absolutely never coming here. I know he lacking this cycle but who else did he miss that we had a shot with? I dig what you saying about assistants. I don’t defend Banda just because Johnson was always gonna be a great player imo. Redwine... yea I’m not sold on Banda. I’m not some rumph defender but I did defend him in a recent post. To me, he is a good coach of the position but as a recruiter, I’m not so sure he is a bust, for lack of better words, just yet.

Advertisement
So amari carter and Gurvan hall are garbage? Is that what you are saying? Hall who Saban flew his helicopter to see was not a top safety that Banda recruited?? And I must have missed it where carter was a 2 star project safety recruit.
Let it known I was very high on gurvan Hall, he was one of my top 3 wants in the class and a top 3 db in last class imo. He’s that good and it was a great get by Banda. Carter is a beast too. If you look at the gets he really hasn’t done better than rumph overall period. Regardless both need to improve their recruiting and I think They can
Banda
3 starDerrick smith
3 star amari carter
4star gurvan Hall
3 star Nigel bethel
4star Keontra Smith
3 star damarious good

Rumph
4star jahvontae dean
4 star Trajan bandy

4 star Gilbert Frierson
4 star DJ Ivey
4 star al blades
4 star tecory couch
3 star Jarvis brownlee

I didn’t say he can’t coach. I just don’t think his coaching prowess outweighs his recruiting enough to keep him. He’s dead weight at premium position where we can’t afford to strike out.
“We seem to settle on guys like Rumph, Banda, JR. Patake. All of whom who can’t really do both at all.”
I took that as you including him in the group the can’t coach or recruit. If that’s not what you mean, I feel it. I agree that it’s a premium position we can’t miss. I just don’t know if I’d rather have a ****** coach at that spot or a great recruiter of the position. I suppose it depends if you think great players overcome subpar coaching. Good point though.

Other than TC, who was “the guy” that rumph missed on last cycle? Surtain was absolutely never coming here. I know he lacking this cycle but who else did he miss that we had a shot with? I dig what you saying about assistants. I don’t defend Banda just because Johnson was always gonna be a great player imo. Redwine... yea I’m not sold on Banda. I’m not some rumph defender but I did defend him in a recent post. To me, he is a good coach of the position but as a recruiter, I’m not so sure he is a bust, for lack of better words, just yet.
And with Samuel he pushed for Samuel early on but Diaz didn’t want to recruit him early in the cycle until a week before the early nsd. That’s Diaz fault

Let it known I was very high on gurvan Hall, he was one of my top 3 wants in the class and a top 3 db in last class imo. He’s that good and it was a great get by Banda. Carter is a beast too. If you look at the gets he really hasn’t done better than rumph overall period
Banda
3 starDerrick smith
3 star amari carter
4star gurvan Hall
3 star Nigel bethel
4star Keontra Smith
3 star damarious good

Rumph
4star jahvontae dean
4 star Trajan bandy

4 star Gilbert Frierson
4 star DJ Ivey
4 star al blades
4 star tecory couch
3 star Jarvis brownlee
Hoping this Carter is more than a bigger hitter like the last one. Although I did enjoy that

Advertisement
And with Samuel he pushed for Samuel early on but Diaz didn’t want to recruit him early in the cycle until a week before the early nsd. That’s Diaz fault
IMO, I think the “profile” we want in corners really screwed us with that one. I didn’t follow his recruitment that much but I know he was a legacy. Was there truly interest on his part? Or was it al blades FSU interest?

IMO, I think the “profile” we want in corners really screwed us with that one. I didn’t follow his recruitment that much but I know he was a legacy. Was there truly interest on his part? Or was it al blades FSU interest?
Samuel was not a legacy for us or FSU, his dad went to ucf

Advertisement
“We seem to settle on guys like Rumph, Banda, JR. Patake. All of whom who can’t really do both at all.”
I took that as you including him in the group the can’t coach or recruit. If that’s not what you mean, I feel it. I agree that it’s a premium position we can’t miss. I just don’t know if I’d rather have a ****** coach at that spot or a great recruiter of the position. I suppose it depends if you think great players overcome subpar coaching. Good point though.

We settled on hiring those guys. Complete gambles. Rumph decent but I’ll reiterate: his coaching prowess does not outweigh his recruiting enough to warrant keeping him.

Tooyour point: i do think players can over come subpar coaching: see below.

Did guys like Duke, DP, NJOKU... really need to be coached up? I guess to an extent... but those dude were gonna be great no matter who was coaching and what a perfect example: their coach was Al Golden. Position coaches RB- ice Harris/Hurlie Brown. LB- Dorito/ Barrow/ Hurlie Brown TE- Scott/Carrol

But like I’ve said before... we should not have to settle for a one way coach. We have the money and the brand to hire a coach who is competent in both areas.

Just think for a second. Can you imagine if we had guys like Henderson, Tc, samuel, Frierson, Stevenson, Richards, Hall, Carter on the roster?!?!

You hire a guy with a resume like Corey Raymond and that is what the roster looks like.

Last edited:
It's just hilarious how misinformed posters are, because they only look at Miami sites.

The Ohio St recruiting writer who has been right on this posted last week that Ohio St's success with DBs meant nothing to Battle since Battle knows he's NFL bound wherever. He said it was going to come down to relationships. And the truth is Ohio St has prioritized Battle for a long time, while we were late.

Criticize Banda for not targeting Battle soon enough, but we didn't not get him because of the NFL. That's dumb, fake insider ****.

Didn’t they slow play him waiting on Nick Cross?

Advertisement
We settled on hiring those guys. Complete gambles. Rumph decent but I’ll reiterate: his coaching prowess does not outweigh his recruiting enough to warrant keeping him.

Did guys like Duke, DP, NJOKU... really need to be coached up? I guess to an extent... but those dude were gonna be great no matter who was coaching and what a perfect example: their coach was Al Golden. Position coaches RB- ice Harris/Hurlie Brown. LB- Dorito/ Barrow/ Hurlie Brown TE- Scott/Carrol
Duke? absolutely not. But I’d argue DP needed coaching, honestly. In the same token, better coaching could’ve made him an even better player. Saying that makes it sound like I don’t think he was great but I’d argue that coaching helped him more so than Duke. NJOKU ain’t yo average joe. I think he was drafted more so on what he will do than what he did do. I’ll concur though, this cycle for me, is make or break for him as a recruiter. On the field, he got MJ and Bandy playing at a high level. I get where you coming from. You make some good points. I just think that from now to February, one of our opinions will be shifted.

I can do with out the hits. Especially with the way refs lobbing flags for helmet to helmets. I want to see if he can cover.
Definitely remains to be seen this year, he played quite a bit last year but didn’t get tested much deep

We have the money don’t be fooled. And with the ACC network deal coming in next year. We will definitely have the funds.

But at the same token as a HC you have to work with what you got. If MIAMI doesn’t have A decent pool of cash for assistants (hypothetical) then we need to find up an coming guys with a a little bit of a track record.

Ok. St HC Gundy hires dudes that people never heard about.

Pruitt was a HS seconday coach like 6 years ago.

There are good coaches out there. Just have to find them.

We need to find guys like Curtis Johnson, Solly, Stoops. We’ve have young coaches before but they could flat out coach and recruit.

We seem to settle on guys like Rumph, Banda, JR. Patake. All of whom who can’t really do both at all.

I could of lived with Rumph and Banda, but the Patake hire was mind numbing. I hope Patke is enjoying this ride bc this the best job he will ever get. He’s an intern at any other big school. We blew our opportunity to hire someone that could of been a difference maker.

I’m not saying I agree with what Richt did I just think that’s why he did it. There were better choices and I think it was a mistake to let Diaz bring Banda, but I can see why Rumph got the job. He’ll hopefully get better selling kids on UM. But agreed Patke was a lazy cop out and a huge missed opportunity. It was a chance to make a splash and take the next step as a program and he didn’t deliver

Advertisement
Back