DT Tywone Malone enters Portal

Except you're wrong. Jason Taylor was here last year and was recruiting guys then too. Has nothing to do with his official date of becoming an on-field coach.

And multiple people have disabused you of the notion that JT is recruiting only D-ends while Joe is recruiting DTs. Of course, you're STILL going to repeat it, nothing will stop you from pushing your false narrative.

Like I said before, I'm not going to argue with you. There is no convincing someone who is emotionally invested in defending a person, as facts don't matter to you.

So let's make a bet on an objective criteria and revisit this at this time next season. If Salavea still has an on-field coaching role next May, you win. If he doesn't, I win. Gentlemans wager.

Advertisement
Very charitable for you to give Coach Diaz a chance up until the game against Alabama, one of the best teams of the last 50 years. Reasonable take.

Check your facts sir. The 2 and 3 games of his third season were App State and Michigan State. We barely beat the first and were humiliated by the second.

Check your facts sir. The 2 and 3 games of his third season were App State and Michigan State. We barely beat the first and were humiliated by the second.

App State and Michigan State would have been the functional equivalents of Bama and UGA for the 2022 Cristobal Canes.

Like I said before, I'm not going to argue with you. There is no convincing someone who is emotionally invested in defending a person, as facts don't matter to you.

So let's make a bet on an objective criteria and revisit this at this time next season. If Salavea still has an on-field coaching role next May, you win. If he doesn't, I win. Gentlemans wager.

You should actually read what you just wrote, and apply it to yourself.

I'm not "emotionally invested in defending a person". But you have absolutely proven that you are emotionally invested in attacking a person. You are a one-note repetitive mope. I'm willing to look at both the good and the bad and discuss it all, while you continue to brag about being one of the Four Horsemen.

"Facts don't matter to you" is the phrase that needs to be applied to yourself. I pointed out that Jason Taylor recruits for the entire defensive line, and then you had to lie and act like he only got involved a couple of months ago. I'm sorry that facts conflict with your narrative. Just be honest. You know you read articles A YEAR AGO where recruits were talking about how impressed they were with Jason Taylor.

I have no personal beef with you, but it also shouldn't be too big of a request to ask you to stop lying and bull****ting and twisting everything into a dark conclusion that fits your narrative. Nobody, not one single recruit, has said anything bad about Joe. Is he the greatest recruiter of DLs ever? No. But you've turned him into a human DT-repellent when the issues are far more complex.

Be honest. There is a limited supply of "0-tech" and "1-tech" guys. And Miami is a few months removed from 5-7 and gutting half the defensive staff. The timing is less than ideal.

I'm not making any sort of a bet with you on whether Joe will still be coaching next year. Jason Taylor came thisclose to taking an NFL job and might do that soon. And you never know when a great candidate will suddenly come onto the market.

Last edited:
* Since around March 6, 2023.

Also, it looks to me like Taylor is primarily recruiting DEs that may be capable of playing DT in the future. The 0 and 1 technique guys are more for Salavea. Basically looks like a similar setup to what they had with Wright, except Taylor now has overall DL responsibility.

Wrong. They are not splitting up recruiting by position. It's all hands on deck with a focus on relationships. All you have to do is read what the kid's are saying and watch where the coaches have visited.

And Jason has been recruiting each and every spring portal commit for the exact same amount of time as Joe and every other DL coach in America.

The spin here is wild.

Advertisement
Wrong. They are not splitting up recruiting by position. It's all hands on deck with a focus on relationships. All you have to do is read what the kid's are saying and watch where the coaches have visited.

And Jason has been recruiting each and every spring portal commit for the exact same amount of time as Joe and every other DL coach in America.

The spin here is wild.

What spin? So you are saying the DT recruiting failures since last year are equally the fault of Taylor and Salavea? Or 1/3 each if you include Wright? Ok, I accept that explanation. Wright is gone, Taylor is probably NFL bound before too long, so then there will still be one coach left who isn't recruiting DTs well.

What spin? So you are saying the DT recruiting failures since last year are equally the fault of Taylor and Salavea? Ok, I accept that explanation.

Nobody is saying it is "equal" or "60-40" or whatver other overly-simplistic answer your overly-simplistic brain seems to crave.

We are pointing out that "not lining up a huge DT in the Portal" might be a bit more complex than just "blame Joe".

Nobody is saying it is "equal" or "60-40" or whatver other overly-simplistic answer your overly-simplistic brain seems to crave.

We are pointing out that "not lining up a huge DT in the Portal" might be a bit more complex than just "blame Joe".

First you say it's not fair to blame Salavea because they all share equal responsibilities, now your defense is they don't have equal responsibilities, so it's not fair to blame Salavea.

And then the masterstroke. *chefs kiss* You pull out your trump card and say, "Its just too complex to figure out so it's not fair to blame anyone."

BTW - is it just your personality to start insulting people when they have a different opinion than you? I mean I was enjoying the banter but then you had to start with the personal insults. Always sad to see people take the low road when they are losing arguments.

Ice Cube Friday GIF

Last edited:
Timebum might have the most hatred towards a coach after his first year as I’ve ever seen lol.

1. I identify as Wario Cristobum now . Respect my pronouns

2. He's been a head coach for roughly 10 years. It might be his first year at Miami, but there is enough of a track record to establish patterns. Last season played out exactly as I expected based on Cristobal forcing a pro style offense onto a team that was thriving in the spread. Obviously he acknowledged his mistake after the season, but literally everyone was warning him that he shouldn't go with a pro offense last year, but he didn't listen. And it wasn't just bad. It went from consecutive top 26 to historically one of the worst offenses ever for UM. I don't think the "oh he's in his first season at UM" is a get out of jail free card because that was him shooting himself in the foot when he definitely should have known better. Like I said earlier, I don't hate him. I am just immensely disappointed that a coach as highly paid and experienced as Cristobal would make such an epically dumb decision to hire Gattis and try to force a pro style offense on TVD.

Last edited:
Advertisement
First you say it's not fair to blame Salavea because they all share equal responsibilities, now your defense is they don't have equal responsibilities, so it's not fair to blame Salavea.

And then the masterstroke. *chefs kiss* You pull out your trump card and say, "Its just too complex to figure out so it's not fair to blame anyone."

BTW - is it just your personality to start insulting people when they have a different opinion than you? I mean I was enjoying the banter but then you had to start with the personal insults. Always sad to see people take the low road when they are losing arguments.

Ice Cube Friday GIF

I didn't say it's not "fair" to "blame" Joe because they all share "equal" responsiblities. Those are just words you attributed to me to push your narrative.

I said it's not right or accurate to solely blame Joe for the DT recruiting. There were issues before Joe was hired. There were different issues during the year that Mario hired a terrible staff. And there are lingering issues from both of those realities.

Nor am I saying it's too complex to figure out. But it certainly depends on each recruit. YOU are the one who is trying to boil this down to a single point of blame (Joe) and then pretend like every DT who didn't sign with UM has the same problem (Joe).

Nobody is attacking you PERSONALLY. Nobody is INSULTING you. I used a term ("mope") that you yourself have admitted to and adopted. So maybe just stop crying over that.

I have also criticized your comments, which are weak and one-note. Again, not an insult, just an assessment of your poor arguments. It's not about whether I disagree with you, there are plenty of posters with whom I disagree who make far better arguments than you do.

Sorry that you were so triggered by insults I never made.

What spin? So you are saying the DT recruiting failures since last year are equally the fault of Taylor and Salavea? Or 1/3 each if you include Wright? Ok, I accept that explanation. Wright is gone, Taylor is probably NFL bound before too long, so then there will still be one coach left who isn't recruiting DTs well.

I appreciate your perspective, Let me reply...

Well first of all from a macro perspective UM doesn't exclusively recruit by position. For example, Joe was a big part of recruiting Francis Mauigoa, Francisco Mauigoa and Jayden Wayne. Three huge recruits and impactful signees already. Agree?

Second of all, in the 2023 class we only landed Horton, which I agree is light, and I agree that Joe shoulders a solid amount of blame. We should have gotten 2+. He was also the primary on Moten in 2022, fwiw. But he was also part of landing Jackson out of the portal right? And Deen, right? Honestly Mario is as much a part of every single kid's recruitment, and its all hands on deck, so saying concretely who gets crowned and who gets blamed in absolute terms is pretty ridiculous. We can make educated guesses, but really the only ones who know are inside Hecht or the insiders, and frankly it feels they might have been off on some coaching perspective stuff so far. But lets message board the **** out of it anyway.

So it seems that so far he's been a key part of the recruitment of Francis Mauigoa, Francisco Mauigoa, Jayden Wayne, Joshua Horton, Jackson and Deen, at the least right?

But most of the hand-wringing seems to be about our failure to land another DT in the spring portal.

Which leads to third of all, as alluded to above, we have two DL coaches. Not a DT coach and a DE coach. And while Taylor is clearly the lead DL coach, they both recruit the whole line. This board can't seem to process this. So this "Joe is failing at DT in the spring portal" while sparing Taylor as some sacred cow is bull****. And none of this even accounts for regional recruiting or connective recruiting (where there is a connection or prior relationship, etc.).

Which leads to fourth of all, right now we have more elite 2024 HS DL seriously interested (UOV's, multiple visits, bringing parents, saying the right things, scheduling OVs) than I can ever remember in UM history (especially at DT btw). So the DL coaches (Taylor and Joe) both deserve some credit for the work to date. And yes, of course, what matters is if they sign. But you can't have anyone signed in May, and its a numbers game, and we hold a lot of leads right now. That matters, a lot. Because the alternative is being in Manny-land, being dead in the water already with the elite kids and having to scramble and beg and come from behind. Would you bet against us landing a very good DL class this year?

And circling back to the spring portal DT situation, again, Jason Taylor has been recruiting for Miami since he came on staff in early 2022. He's been a full time DL coach since March. The spring portal opened when? April 15? Yeah, He is as responsible as anyone for our failure to land a portal DT this spring. These are all brand new recruitments, and he's been on the clock for their entirety. The scapegoating of Joe for our inability to land a portal DT is ridiculous, no matter what you think of him and what you think his future is here. It's on a lot of people. And you can't say Joe's name without saying Jason's name when discussing it.

Advertisement
Those are proper nouns, Sir/Madam/Mx.

It's the offseason and I'm bored, so I'm entertaining myself with a heel turn into The Stylin', profilin', limousine riding, jet flying, kiss-stealing, wheelin' n' dealin' son of a gun, Rick Flair of the Horsemen of the Mope-ocalypse. But no worries, Babyface TimeBum will return by the start of the season, pumping so much pro Cristobal sunshine up everyone's ****s you will be able to see the light from outer space.

images (7).jpeg

Last edited:
Advertisement
It's the offseason and I'm bored, so I'm entertaining myself with a heel turn into The Stylin', profilin', limousine riding, jet flying, kiss-stealing, wheelin' n' dealin' son of a gun, Rick Flair of the Horsemen of the Mope-ocalypse. But no worries, Babyface TimeBum will return by the start of the season, pumping so much pro Cristobal sunshine up everyone's ****s you will be able to see the light from outer space.

View attachment 238117
022.jpg

Advertisement
Back