DT Tywone Malone enters Portal

Imho, Joe gets canned & Francis transfers to UT Knoxville. Nico is there, the bag is there, + they just had a top 10 first round pick on the OL. Joe’s relationship w/ the family sealed off UT Knox. If Joe’s not here, Francis & most likely Francisco r in Knoxville. It was that close; Joe was the pendulum to swing it in our favor.

And let's make this really, really simple.

First, Jason Taylor is ALSO recruiting DT. And we've had some of the HS recruits say some really great things. So if some of these Portal guys are not choosing to be coached by an NFL Hall-of-Famer (and Joe), then maybe there are other issues at play. It's certainly not "I really love Jason Taylor, but I really hate Joe".

Second, if Mario really thought this was SUCH a problem, he would have moved Joe already. We already have (and/or had) a couple of guys off-field who were well-liked by recruits, so let's not pretend like every Pacific-Island recruit woudl suddenly blackball Miami because Joe is off-field instead of on. If Mario has supplemented our recruiting coaches AND can handle the fact that Joe may never win the Broyles, then I'm fine with it.

Joe is not the problem here. If anything, he's just a convenient scapegoat for the "know-nothing-but-analyze-everything-in-a-binary-fashion" porsters who think that everything is sooooo easy to figure out, if you just can blame ONE PERSON...

And as a final shocker, not every question has the same answer. Two things are not always equal. For instance, WR recruiting was heavily impacted by Gattis (on a number of levels, including personality, scheme, and playcalling) while Portal DT recruiting has been more impacted by scarcity of great player choices and the need to overpay on NIL. We're very likely to have a great HS class of DTs this year, but it's not like there are a lot of great "Jordan Addison types" on the DT side.

Advertisement
247 star rankings aren't data to me, they are subjective ranking by couch potatoes that are actively influenced by the liking of the program aka "Miami commits get a downgrade the instant they commit to Miami".

Its a recruiting service that I absolutely cannot take serious at all.
But we should respect your opinions? Lol. I think this fella is more qualified than both of us podner. Plus there are plenty others, you know the ones you use to feel good about our freshman class, that rate our portal class high. Yes we know the final proof is the games. Of course it is! But this is off season and we are having discussions, ya know trade opions about next season.See you at the games, buying road games today!

Last edited:
First, Jason Taylor is ALSO recruiting DT.*

* Since around March 6, 2023.

Also, it looks to me like Taylor is primarily recruiting DEs that may be capable of playing DT in the future. The 0 and 1 technique guys are more for Salavea. Basically looks like a similar setup to what they had with Wright, except Taylor now has overall DL responsibility.

But we should respect your opinions? Lol. I think this fella is more qualified than both of us podner.
I couldn't give two ***** about what people think of me or my opinions, I'll share them on this board, we'll discuss, move on and enjoy our beer on the weekends. Miami football isn't going to get better based on what I say or think lol

I also checked on his Linkedin to see whether he is more qualified to speak on this matter... he isn't, he is a regular sports reporter with no previous experience in any form of scouting, sports administration or anything. He is a reporter, nothing more, nothing less.

There are more than enough users on this board who are qualified enough to make accurate statements about this team, like @JustAFanHTX , @Brooklyndee , @gogeta4, @DTP or @Coach Macho. Three sentences of their analysis hold more value to me than what some random 247 Vanderbilt reporter has to say in five page articles.

Thats all. No hard feelings. But each time someone mentions stars or 247 analysis made by Andrew Ivins and his little friends, part of my brain just cringes and wants to return to full offseason mode. Enjoy your away games, I hope you get the best tickets!

Advertisement
Only surpassed by the hatred of Manny before he coached a game as HC by some here…

Since the thread is **** anyway, I'll bite and say I wasn't a fan of Manny as DC after year 2 under Richt, and I despised the way Blake James backfilled Richt with Manny. But I did give him the benefit of the doubt even after Enos did what he did. What killed it for me was his failure to recruit and calling guys like Patrick Joyner and Derrick Smith their top targets at LB and S. Then the yacht, the slip & slide, the rings, the #TNM, et al. The guys was a total clown.

So if I'm going to give that little joker a second and even the first 2-3 games of a third season to fix the program and his own personal and professional weaknesses, you can bet I'll give Mario his rope too.

Since the thread is **** anyway, I'll bite and say I wasn't a fan of Manny as DC after year 2 under Richt, and I despised the way Blake James backfilled Richt with Manny. But I did give him the benefit of the doubt even after Enos did what he did. What killed it for me was his failure to recruit and calling guys like Patrick Joyner and Derrick Smith their top targets at LB and S. Then the yacht, the slip & slide, the rings, the #TNM, et al. The guys was a total clown.

So if I'm going to give that little joker a second and even the first 2-3 games of a third season to fix the program and his own personal and professional weaknesses, you can bet I'll give Mario his rope too.
Very charitable for you to give Coach Diaz a chance up until the game against Alabama, one of the best teams of the last 50 years. Reasonable take.

Advertisement
I just want to know. All these DTs that we are recruiting, that have mentioned their relationship with Joe in articles. If we land them,

Will Joe get credit? Or will it be brushed off as Mario and Taylor covering for Joe?
This is like CB recruiting last year: we got a CB props to DVD, we lose a CB and it was Addae fault. CIS gonna CIS.

Also, it looks to me like Taylor is primarily recruiting DEs that may be capable of playing DT in the future. The 0 and 1 technique guys are more for Salavea. Basically looks like a similar setup to what they had with Wright, except Taylor now has overall DL responsibility.
They aren’t recruiting many real 0 and 1 techs. They want guys with size that can move. Like Moten he has size but he isn’t a true 1 tech. He is a 3 that can play the 1. Malone was the same he is more of a 3 tech that could potentially play the 1

This is like CB recruiting last year: we got a CB props to DVD, we lose a CB and it was Addae fault. CIS gonna CIS.
I would love for the board to have more polls on an array of subjects pertaining to all things the team. Sometimes it’s difficult to pin down whether a large about of posters believe something or if it’s just a select few that then it’s ran as board wide opinion.

Advertisement
What does him being from Samoa have to do with anything? Malasadas are great. Everyone loves them. Are you insinuating he can't like them because he isn't from Hawaii? Also, you may not be aware of this, but there are lots of Polynesians in Hawaii and Salavea was the primary recruiter for Polynesian kids in Hawaii and Samoa when he was at WSU and Oregon, so I'm guessing he's visited there once or twice and tried the food.

As for this nugget of rationalization:

Taylor has been an on-field coach for around 10 weeks. He was extremely limited in how he could contact players before then (plus it wasn't, you know, his actual job as an analyst). So if you are really trying to say they should share equal blame for the misses last year in the portal and recruiting, and the misses this year in the portal , you are engaging in some legendary mental gymnastics. If we end up landing a bunch of elite DTs next season, I'll be happy to work with you to figure of how to allocate credit. For now though, this is primarily on Salavea.

And also, before you try and blame Rod Wright in another amusing attempt to defend Big Joe, Wright was specifically the DE coach, so you can't try to claim he shares blame with Salavea too on the lack of depth at DT .

Update:
Thought about this for a couple hours, and I'll go ahead and concede. Brings me no joy to point out that Cristobal is turning into what could have been a 2-3 year rebuild (to turn into respectable program) , into a 5-7 year rebuild with his bad hires and bad retention decisions. He may indeed get us to the mountain top eventually (and I sincerely hope he does) , but I think he's going to take considerably longer to get there than it could have due to self inflicted wounds (like deliberately choosing a pro style OC in year 1 instead of a spread O, even though it should have been obvious which was better for TVD). We have empirical proof he has made at least one absolutely atrocious hire (Gattis). I think he is also making a mistake keeping Addae and Handlebar Mustachio as his S&C coach, but I don't have enough info to pin specifics on them. If you don't want to believe Cristobal could possibly have gotten it wrong twice and isn't getting the DT recruiting he expected out of Salavea (putting aside Polynesian Recruiting at other positions, which he is IS good at), I'm not going to burst your bubble. I like to post silly gifs and bust people's chops a little bit. Not going to try to convince people to agree with me.
I agree with everything
But don’t get the issue with addae
Our cbs were better
Just can’t coach straight speed
So no matter the coach, a go route is an openents cheat code
And he did land a nice class
And his room is brining in talent
How much better would someone else be?
Even if we had Raymond we don’t land cormani
He can now say he got two kids drafted
And go back to his uga days for more guys he can claim got drafted under him
I’ve been critical of alot of the staff but to me he seems like one of the few bright spots

Thought this was supposed to be a busy week?

Javier Bardem Explosion GIF

*now close thread

Last edited:
Advertisement
I couldn't give two ***** about what people think of me or my opinions, I'll share them on this board, we'll discuss, move on and enjoy our beer on the weekends. Miami football isn't going to get better based on what I say or think lol

I also checked on his Linkedin to see whether he is more qualified to speak on this matter... he isn't, he is a regular sports reporter with no previous experience in any form of scouting, sports administration or anything. He is a reporter, nothing more, nothing less.

There are more than enough users on this board who are qualified enough to make accurate statements about this team, like @JustAFanHTX , @Brooklyndee , @gogeta4, @DTP or @Coach Macho. Three sentences of their analysis hold more value to me than what some random 247 Vanderbilt reporter has to say in five page articles.

Thats all. No hard feelings. But each time someone mentions stars or 247 analysis made by Andrew Ivins and his little friends, part of my brain just cringes and wants to return to full offseason mode. Enjoy your away games, I hope you get the best tickets!
Lol. OH I do fella.

Lol. Well then start your own business. My point was exactly what you wrote in your first sentence, thx for repeating! However, nice dodge on the basis for your A+ freshman class and C- portal, but whatever. Don't worry, I will enjoy my road game tickets and home tickets

Except you're wrong. Jason Taylor was here last year and was recruiting guys then too. Has nothing to do with his official date of becoming an on-field coach.

And multiple people have disabused you of the notion that JT is recruiting only D-ends while Joe is recruiting DTs. Of course, you're STILL going to repeat it, nothing will stop you from pushing your false narrative.

Advertisement
Back